JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alrighty Folks, I'm dropping this live Grenade here to have a thought provoking discussion I think it's long past time we had, and with that, I ask that folks be respectful of each others differing opinions and not let emotions turn this into a dumpster fire!
How do we a a society address the Issues of So called "Mass Shootings" or "Gun Violence" that seem to take place on a daily basis, how do we tackle this WITH OUT infringing on a persons 2nd rights, and how do we deal with this in a humane and just manor with the tools we have, or the limitations of our constitution?

First, we all know this is a large issue with many factors, including the known fact that almost EVERY single shooter was on Psychotic meds and was well known to Law Enforcement!
How do we address the mental health issue's in a meaningful way with out restricting the rights of normal folks?
How do we identify such individuals and intervene in a caring manor while still attempting to stop the potential escalation of a a shooting?
How do we increase public support and funding for mental health support and care?
How do we square a persons Constitutional Rights, with out offending the constitution in these cases?
How do we address the Gang violence issues in a meaningful manor that gets positive results?

My own thoughts on this:
Have schools conduct simple firearms education that covers safety as well as storage and responsibilities, make it a Non Opt-Out requirement, and empower students to speak up and ask questions
HARDEN THE DAMN SCHOOLS, make it so cities/counties/States cannot De-Fund this and make them hire, train, and employ qualified Safety officers!
Engauge Parents in these discussions and provide affordable options for such resources to mental health treatment options, as well as gun storage options, and safe handling at home!
Make this THE issue to be addressed and STOP with the False Hope Gun Control bullsh!t we are all subjected to!

Ok Folks, this is a good start, Lets not toss around the "Elections have Consequences " statements, or any of the other barrel chested bullsh!t about Mu Rights, Shall Not be Infringed trop and lets have an actual meaningful discussion about this! Maybe we can put enough brain power into this and come up with actual actionable options that can be used for the good of all!

Sorry to urinate in your cornflakes, but there is no solving this. I remember when Columbine went off , and instantly realized that this would be the new normal (eventually). The problem is that this vehicle for attention ALWAYS gets the attention sought after by the perpetrator. Someone who is willing to die for attention isn't going to be easy to stop.

Once we start valuing and protecting people/children the way we do with money…. One has more value than the other in some eyes.

Society has to get OK with having labels put on people.

It's hard to address and prosecute a crime that hasn't been committed.

I would like to say that if someone is exhibiting mannerisms/ideations/manifestos/etc which point to violence that some form of hold gets put on their ability to buy firearms until they are vetted. Before anyone gets mad I know this is not a reality. Cause once a right like this gets suspended it becomes very difficult to get it reinstated…..

Stop putting the shooter in the spot light.

Make prison hell.

Sadly freedom comes with risks. And our CULTURE needs to change and parents need to parent. Until that happens violence will continue on a mass scale.

Well, these crazed shooters seem to prefer soft targets that are often gun free zones. I recently had to go to the sheriff office to renew my chl, their clerks sit in bomb proof booths. Maybe all schools need tall fences with guarded entry points for a start.

Sorry to urinate in your cornflakes, but there is no solving this. I remember when Columbine went off , and instantly realized that this would be the new normal (eventually). The problem is that this vehicle for attention ALWAYS gets the attention sought after by the perpetrator. Someone who is willing to die for attention isn't going to be easy to stop.

I knew a decade prior when it happened at Cleveland Elementary School in Stockton, CA.

On the other side of this discussion, we have Everytown, Moms Demand and Giffords who scream that Their Solution is the ONLY solution and we find ourselves digging out from under that with a rusty shovel! In their minds, screw your rights for safety, the constitution is a living document and they can change it at whim without following the process to make changes, look at the Wet Coast States to see this taking place! Sure, we have SCOTUS who have defined HOW 2nd issues are to be resolved, but there is a metric sh!t ton of anti-gun legislation, rules, and ordinances standing in the way! The fact of the matter is, we are always fighting new and existing legislation BECASUE we didn't stop it in the first place! We are our own worst enemy in this and we need to change it up if were going to get ahead of the 8 Ball!

I dunno

C29E3389-EAD4-426A-B1AF-7649A15409B3.jpeg

We have a sick society. Unless we cure that, there will be no security cuz miscreants will find a way. The answer is a society that produces fewer miscreants. And locks up or eliminates the ones we do wind up with.

So, do we separate out those with mental health issue? What do we do with them then?
We all knew the kids who had issues back when we were in school, those who exhibited behavioral problems, most were able to get by ( Often with lots of help we knew nothing about) and they have turned into productive members of society! Some have not, and that's where we are today, those who slip through the cracks and do what we see almost daily!

So, do we separate out those with mental health issue? What do we do with them then?
We all knew the kids who had issues back when we were in school, those who exhibited behavioral problems, most were able to get by ( Often with lots of help we knew nothing about) and they have turned into productive members of society! Some have not, and that's where we are today, those who slip through the cracks and do what we see almost daily!
Starting using insane asylums again. Called it what it is. CRAZY.

"Legalizing" drugs didn't help either.

Facts over feelings.

Armed Safety officers #1
Agree with gun safety and storage and resources/classes for both even if you can afford a safe, make it available anyone who needs a trigger lock can get one for the firearm at home. they are so inexpensive. any major retailer that sells guns should allow at least 1 per customer free of charge. or something to the effect. heck, feds send free covid test im sure those cost more than a cable lock? I think a cable lock save more lives than a covid test
These schools know who the potential problem children are. we as a society just dont want to know, or are to afraid to tell parents/authorities that the kid is struggling with life and socialization . maybe should be a safe guard for those "identified as possible threats", if they are maybe a family member be with them on any purchase before 21 like a cosigner? I just throw that out due to alot of these are high school kids or just out of school and basically getting revenge on all who wronged them and they are willing to die just to get a few, they care so little for themselves and life that taking anothers life is not hard..

Several thoughts: the Internet age and social media that came with it has done tremendous phycological damage to society and a large amount of that damage is being caused while kids are still absorbing info like a sponge and haven't quite figured out how to be a functioning human yet. They see other people who are prettier, richer or just have a life unattainable by most and are comparing themselves to a manicured existence to which their own isn't good enough. It's becoming a feedback loop.

What nobody is going to like: this country has the highest amount of firearms in the world. It also has the highest amount of firearms related deaths/violence. That's not a coincidence. There are more guns than people, they are NOT hard to get and our constitution made that possible. Countries with near zero gun ownership have near zero shootings in general, not just schools. The guns themselves are not the problem, I understand that. The ease of access, however, seems to be.

Gun enthusiasts in the USA seem to, on a whole, not take firearms very seriously. Take a look at just how nonchalant people are when handling guns at their LGS or how often they point guns right at people. They look down barrels to see if it's loaded. They will make YouTube videos of shooting random bullbubblegum which sometimes ends up in death and dismemberment (remember to like and subscribe and hit that notification bell). We have things like call of duty where young teenagers learn to shoot each other in the face and laugh about it. The same teenagers who don't know right from wrong yet. We have movies like John wick that show the "good guy" running and gunning and looking cool. Maybe that weird quiet kid would get a date if he looked cool just like John wick. He'll show those bullies. Gun owners take the fact that they have this right seriously, they do not take the responsibility seriously.

I'm going to try to avoid crossing swords with knobgoblin while I join him in urinating in your cornflakes. This cannot be fixed. In my opinion, especially with the society we have.

It don't have to be a political solution, in fact, we should remove politics from this to get results!
Precisely! In each and every case, the shooter(s) has given numerous clues, hints and suggestions by words, actions, even inaction, that something BIG was going to happen. In each and every case, all of those pre-attack indicators were ignored. What is that adage about prevention versus cure?

Every one of us has some skin in this game.

Israel had a one school shooting in 1974...hasn't had one since...follow their model.

Yes, we must remove the labels and go after the root problem no matter how uncomfortable that may be.
El Al airlines has had ONE hijacking - zero deaths. 1968. None since. Their jets have on-board missile defense systems. On the ground, the IDF looks for bombers, not bombs. Find the bomber, you'll find the bomb.

Whatever happened to FBI profiling of potential bombers/shooters? Are they too busy silencing their political opposition?

All of this violence serves a moral-political agenda.

This cannot be fixed.
But I can try.

Step one:
Take every single mass shooter currently still alive, grab them by the hair and drag them to the whip chipper and throw them in feet first. No if, ands or buts...waste them all.

Step two:
Put rifleman in every school and smoke any POS that gets stupid...if they live see step 1.

It's a start and...

1679945328818.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany