JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am in Lynnwood! I mostly prep with ammo and food, but being where I am, my SHTF plan is to bug out to a friend's house way up north.

It would be great to have a network of like-minded people!

I always think about the (maybe unlikely) scenario of having to rise up against the overlords. If everyone goes at it solo, there is no chance. But if there was a united front, then maybe!
It'll be carnage getting out of Lynnhood!😎

Not sure how active this thread is, but anyone in the Vancouver area, feel free to send me a PM.
It comes and goes. If you look back there are plenty of potential people to refer to. Might want to dig back and contact via PM some of the people near you and see if they are still active. Good luck. I'm way up north so can't help you at this time.

Thanks for the thread Cyborg.:s0155:
Anybody in the NE Portland area want to chat about this?
I'm not an over the top survivalist, however, I have been preparing with food, water storage, guns and a house with 1" thick concrete stucco that could be made a little more secure than typical wood construction.

Will
Im in SE:)

This topic has been on top of mind for me lately. I have serious concerns as to whether neighbors should unite or go it alone in a long term SHTF situation.

Security wise it would be useful if neighbors could unite to defend a neighborhood and prevent each family from having to defend against house to house marauding. The problem would be developing trust among your neighbors.

As for sharing info on supplies, I think that is a no go. Most neighbors are not going to prepare well. If all your neighbors know you have prepared well, you will be a target for guilt trips, begging and possibly even violence from your own neighbors or their acquaintances.

It would be nice if neighborhoods could unite to defend their blocks but it would be fraught with dangers from within.

It might be worthwhile motivating your neighbors to be prepared for short term emergencies. I would focus mostly on having neighbors prepare water supplies, filters, etc. Water filters are compact and cheap these days. not much excuse for not having at least one portable filter option in the house.

Has anybody given thought to the timing of a die off during long term SHTF event. I suspect it would be weeks or even months for many people, especially the overweight among us. Assuming they have access to non toxic water and aren't killed by others, most people would die a slow death from starvation. Starving people may be weak during the latter stages of their starvation but they will also be desperate. Skinny people will die quicker, hard gainers will be screwed.

This is where I am at:

The next most ring of community is one's immediate local neighborhood. Your neighbors. Most preppers do not venture out into this realm. What I mean is – most feel that it's better to remain silent about one's own preparedness for fear that the word will get out and they might become a target during a real SHTF breakdown (a logical concern). Others are also fearful of the stigma if their neighbors find out that they are preppers (thanks to the mainstream's negative 'kook' or crackpot portrayal).

Source: https://modernsurvivalblog.com/lifestyle/a-community-ring-of-preparedness-minded-neighbors/

Last Edited:
It's a catch 22 situation.
Yup.

No sense showing until necessary. That necessary is hopefully sometime which will never happen. Like insurance.

We're charitable, selectively. That wouldn't change.

That written, there's nothing wrong with getting to know neighbors. Some may become friends, most will not. Still good to know them though.

It might be worthwhile motivating your neighbors to be prepared for short term emergencies. I would focus mostly on having neighbors prepare water supplies, filters, etc. Water filters are compact and cheap these days. not much excuse for not having at least one portable filter option in the house.
Maybe, or you just showed them whose doorstep to show up on when SHTF

for me mum's the word

Has anybody given thought to the timing of a die off during long term SHTF event. I suspect it would be weeks or even months for many people, especially the overweight among us. Assuming they have access to non toxic water and aren't killed by others, most people would die a slow death from starvation. Starving people may be weak during the latter stages of their starvation but they will also be desperate. Skinny people will die quicker, hard gainers will be screwed.

What about the die-off of prepers with no concept of nutrition Have you seen foods with some propers stock?

Sugar, salty, bad fats preservatives Aunt Jamima, Crisco, Spam, salty canned soup, Mayonnaise I remember seeing one guy prepp'N 5 cases or tree top apple juice 😳

......it's like a hypertension/diabetes start kit

Food%2BStorage.jpg

Calories and nutrition are two different things. If you are in good health (taking in all the nutrients you need), you won't notice any difference except perhaps an upset stomach and your bubblegum will smell different until months into eating a poor (nutritionally speaking) diet.

Prepping means planning adequate caloric intake when literally else nothing is available. Without that you won't be around to get all our first world health problems. Cuz you'll have starved to death.

Calories and nutrition are two different things. If you are in good health (taking in all the nutrients you need), you won't notice any difference except perhaps an upset stomach and your bubblegum will smell different until months into eating a poor (nutritionally speaking) diet.

Prepping means planning adequate caloric intake when literally else nothing is available. Without that you won't be around to get all our first world health problems. Cuz you'll have starved to death.
Yup. Not just calories, well rounded calories. Including fats.

A few days or week but what if it's a few months or a year and you are eating low-nutrient-dense foods, You will become nutrient deficient and more susceptible to diseases

I disagree you need more than calories; you can get all the calories you need from a 50# bag of C& H sugar, it's cheaper and it will probably kill you too! But there's no nutrition in that sugar, and it's bad for your body to consume in quality. You need nutrition, complex carbs, protein, fiber, good fats, minerals, and vitamins.

You often hear the phrase "prep what you eat," but I took a long hard look and realized I need to eat better; the first prep is yourself and prep food that is better for me to help maintain my health.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews