JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing reinforces the SHTF scenario more than the power going out at your home or workplace. Currently we are without power at my work and with an estimate of 4:30 for the power to come back on it gives one time to think. Makes me want to go home tonight and work more on getting thing prepped/prepared in case of an emergency.:cool:

My camping gear is adaquite for long time power outages.

I had a good supply of those little green 1lb propane tanks but used most of them up over the last winter suplimenting out heat but I also have the hose the will connect to a 5gal or larger propane tank.

I'm hoping I can get a few of those and filled before it get too nasty outside but will depend on my work status and pay I can find.

The pantry could use some restocking for the same reasons.... Priorities :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party! Former scout and Texan living in Beaverton here - have some useful skills but not used to prepping in such a small apartment. I would definitely appreciate and enjoy meeting some like-minded folks and comparing notes. Also could use some advice around how to convince the better half that taking prepping seriously can't wait until "we get a bigger place". o_O

Clackamas oregon here , any one have seeds for planting in there prep stashes ? or am I just nutts for having them lol. I also have stashes buried on the way to my bug out have 3 ways to get there.

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party! Former scout and Texan living in Beaverton here - have some useful skills but not used to prepping in such a small apartment. I would definitely appreciate and enjoy meeting some like-minded folks and comparing notes. Also could use some advice around how to convince the better half that taking prepping seriously can't wait until "we get a bigger place". o_O
If you can spare the cash you could always get a storage locker close by. You wouldn't need a large one. Just one big enough to hold enough for whatever your contingency plans are.
Cav Scout?

If you can spare the cash you could always get a storage locker close by. You wouldn't need a large one. Just one big enough to hold enough for whatever your contingency plans are.
Cav Scout?

That's a pretty good idea;).

Keeps it out of sight from the wife and frees up more space in your apartment.:cool:

SE Portland, Mt. Tabor. Been prepping since Reagan was in office (only back then I was a survivalist). I've seen disaster flavors of the month come and go and took measures for some of them.
I consider myself to be somewhat reasonably well prepared, whatever that means.

1988 - the Russians are gonna nuke us
1996 - aliens will invade us on July 4th
1997 - comets will smash the earth
1999 - plagues (and famine... locusts too)
2000 - worldwide computer meltdown
2001 - terrorists everywhere
2003 - Saddam's WMDs, better invade (whoops!)
2006 - climate change freeze or bake
2008 - financial and social collapse
2012 - Mayan calendar something or other
2016 - the Russians are up to something again

The fact is that no one know when or how TEOTWAWKI will come, but my bet is on something we never expected. Fortunately, preparing well for one scenario still helps you out a lot when something completely different happens.

Last Edited:
1988 - the Russians are gonna nuke us
1996 - aliens will invade us on July 4th
1997 - comets will smash the earth
1999 - plagues (and famine... locusts too)
2000 - worldwide computer meltdown
2001 - terrorists everywhere
2003 - Saddam's WMDs, better invade (whoops!)
2006 - climate change freeze or bake
2007 - Mega Earthquake
2008 - financial and social collapse
2009 - SARS
2010 - Solar Flares
2011 - H1N1
2012 - Mayan calendar something or other
2016 - the Russians are up to something again, Those Iranians are also looking kinda fishy

Fixed

Clackamas oregon here , any one have seeds for planting in there prep stashes ? or am I just nutts for having them lol. I also have stashes buried on the way to my bug out have 3 ways to get there.

You're not nuts...I purchased a box of heirloom seeds (individually packaged in mylar bags) for SHTF.

Ironically, they're buried at the SHTF site...awaiting to be dug up and buried at the cache site.

2016-2066 - Don't forget the Cascadia Megaquake, Yellowstone megavolcano, North Koreans, Chinese, zombies, superbugs, nano-bots, Skynet, climate change, your good old-fashioned planet killer meteor, and our own government turning on us. If you go in for that sort of thing.

I quickly made the list early morning and pre-caffeine. I did leave out some good doomsday scenarios, you're right. And when it comes to theoretical ends I go in for every sort of thing!

Ever since I have started reading all the threads on NW firearms web site I feel so unprepared its not even funny. So I have started doing some things to help my family out and can't stop thinking of other ways to do more. But dang I'm going to go broke before I even get to 1/8 of what you all have done. :eek:

Ever since I have started reading all the threads on NW firearms web site I feel so unprepared its not even funny. So I have started doing some things to help my family out and can't stop thinking of other ways to do more. But dang I'm going to go broke before I even get to 1/8 of what you all have done. :eek:
Start small. A little here, a little there and next thing you know you've got a stockpile. Even if you buy one number 10 can of freeze dried per month you're doing something. Your stockpile behind with the first purchase so get on it. Costco carries prepper rations, you can get MRE's on ebay, etc. Don't put all that pressure on yourself to buy a six month stockpile in one shot. If you can, great. Otherwise do it incrementally. Whatever you buy today or this month will be more than you had previously.

Start small. A little here, a little there and next thing you know you've got a stockpile. Even if you buy one number 10 can of freeze dried per month you're doing something. Your stockpile behind with the first purchase so get on it. Costco carries prepper rations, you can get MRE's on ebay, etc. Don't put all that pressure on yourself to buy a six month stockpile in one shot. If you can, great. Otherwise do it incrementally. Whatever you buy today or this month will be more than you had previously.

Great advice every little bit helps! I just seriously never realized how far behind the 8 ball I was.:oops:

Also, buy a few extra cans, bottles, freeze dried, whatever, on regular shopping days!
This has the advantage of being familiar things that you already eat on a regular basis and it adds up surprisingly fast!

Everybody was before they started. Lol. It's not a race unless a hurricane's a comin' I suppose... we all started somewhere. Just start, that's all. Every thing you buy to prepare is one less thing that you'll have to beg, borrow, steal later on when/if SHTF.

I've noticed that even Winco is stocking prepping supplies these days. They have pre-packaged survival food - MREs and survival buckets - near the bulk section. They also sell mylar bags, dry packets, and food grade buckets in that area.

Seems like the topic of prepping is showing up everywhere you turn - including on the sides of trains and buses.

So here is a question. I've read a couple of articles about people stock piling what they call liquid gold which is vodka. They say its great for trading, cleaning wounds or just taking the edge off. Do any of you do this?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top