JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I read somewhere that the state doesn't think it's an issue. They will most likely contract it out to a background check company.
Please tell me that will not result in: (1) grossly over-paying for the contracted services, (2) having the State or contractor then oppose any public records request for the contractual provision identifying what and how the contractor performs the services (and how much it costs), and (3) the State ending up in a lawsuit with the contractor. Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

Please tell me that will not result in: (1) grossly over-paying for the contracted services, (2) having the State or contractor then oppose any public records request for the contractual provision identifying what and how the contractor performs the services (and how much it costs), and (3) the State ending up in a lawsuit with the contractor. Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.
Add to that the actual accuracy of those private background check companies. There are "some" certification standards in the industry, but I also know there can be exceptional delays and inaccuracies when records are circulating within the gooberment agencies... let alone updates filtering into the private sector records.

IE., A family member pulled a white collar felony charge. Years later he had it expunged from his record (state level). It took nearly a year for the expungment order to be reflected at the federal level (NICS BCG)... and... somewhere around 4 or 5 years later when having a PBSA certified BGC for employment conducted (supposedly a national standard certification).... THERE it was! The original charge still being reported on his record.

He had to retain an attorney to have the expungent order properly recorded and the orginal charge duly removed in multiple databases. It cost him a pretty penny and another 6 months or so of delays. Needless to say... he didn't get the job... even after presenting the potiential employer with a certified copy of the expungment order.

How many others might find themselves in the same boat?

I really hate it for you guys it's spreading to other states at an alarming rate, I live in Texas hopefully it will be a long tim before they try that BS here. Good luck hope y'all get it overturned
I believe that the sponsors and supporters (I.E. A$$ HAT$) of BM 114 saw that the court battles would be long and not go their way and are simply pushing for legislature to introduce law to side step the delays in court of implementing the BM. I think the writings on the wall and life as we knew it here is eroding.

I believe that the sponsors and supporters (I.E. A$$ HAT$) of BM 114 saw that the court battles would be long and not go their way and are simply pushing for legislature to introduce law to side step the delays in court of implementing the BM. I think the writings on the wall and life as we knew it here is eroding.
In order to hold trials, the state must have a permitting system in place. That's what HB3511 does. Our objections to the bill are the best thing individuals have right now in the way of voicing our opinions. Donating to the groups bringing the lawsuits is the other avenue.

Not 114 related, but if true... that's some serious next level tyranny! Arresting individuals and instructors that are participating in and conducting live fire training classes... as part of the application process for a firearm permit.... because they don't have a permit authorizing them to use a weapon(???)

So a person must apply for a preliminary permit to do the training... in order to apply for the permit... even though the new law exempts training for application purposes... that doesn't matter because they are going to use another unrelated law to arrest you anyway for an exempted activity.

And... if you already passed the application process and have a permit... they can still arrest you if you don't have the right type... where many only allow restrictive activity ("target shooting", "hunting", "defensive", etc. permits) that you had to specify and apply for in the first place... even though permits are now supposed to be unrestricted.

Seriously... what the holey donuts on a stick kind of imperial dictatorship are they running over there!?? That's just plain F'ed up. :s0140:

Last Edited:
I really hate it for you guys it's spreading to other states at an alarming rate, I live in Texas hopefully it will be a long tim before they try that BS here. Good luck hope y'all get it overturned
Thank you.

This is just another stepping stone for the cis gender birthing persons of the laptop economy who shut down small business and schools during Covid. These people hate us. We are the handy scapegoats for all the social problems their own libertine policies have created. They will not stop here. One day soon we will be fighting for the right to own two boxes of ammo.

Please let us know where we can submit our written testimony
Thanks for asking. You can submit testimony once the bill is scheduled for a hearing. However, you can write your representatives and the appropriate committee members at any time.

To get information on what's going on in the legislature, go to the Oregon Legislature home page. There is a wealth of information available, but let's start at the Get Involved link near the top of the page. On that page, scroll down to the Committee Information, Agendas, and Schedules section and click on the link for How to submit written testimony for a bill. Once there, the tutorial gives you all the information you need. You can submit written testimony, testify in person at the hearing, or testify by remote during the hearing. All of these hearings are broadcast live online.

Testimony is only accepted when a hearing is scheduled so you won't be able to submit until that happens. You can sign up for alerts on the legislature site or, you can sign up for alerts to measures of interest on several citizens action sites. One such organization is Oregon Citizens Lobby. You can sign up for alerts for bills in the area of your interest. The link shown goes to the Oregon Gun Control alerts section but you can also sign up for alerts on other categories of bills on the Legislative Bill Alerts Tab near the top. Another one is Oregon Firearms Federation in the ALERTS section. Alerts will be sent out when bills are introduced and when the window is open for testimony.

As of this morning, HB 3511 is not yet scheduled for a hearing but you can read the text and if any amendments have been added. You can also write or call any and all committee members at any time.

Let's go to a bill that has been in committee to see examples of testimony. HB 2572 had a hearing in the House Judiciary Committee in early February. Here are the texts of the written testimony here. Reading the testimony of others gives you an idea of how they are written. Any citizen, with any background, can submit testimony. Some write long flowing letters, others get right to the point and get it done with just a few sentences. The point is that we, the people, have a voice if we choose to use it.

Trying to not make this one of those TLDR posts. Wanted to point out that people have options when it comes to being informed and that it's really not that hard to voice your opinion.

ETA: Feel free to copy and paste this to any other forms of social media, or information sites. This legislative session seems to be flying by with many many bills that should be of great concern to Oregonians. Try to get as many people as possible involved in how we are governed.

Last Edited:
I found it:

As @PiratePast40 has said looks like we have to wait for a hearing.

1678116048545.png

The bill is sponsored by freshman Representative Farah Chaichi. Write and call her early and often. 503-986-1435, [email protected]. Ask her what happened to the legislative budget process, mandated by law, that needs to be followed. Hiding funding in the ODOT budget smells a little like fraud, but that's just my opinion. Ask her about privacy. I can do an internet search on anyone online by paying for the service. For just a few dollars more, I can get DMV records. Will the proposed endorsement for a purchase permit show up on those searches? Will the battered mother with a restraining order against an agressor have confidentiality? What about the rest of us?

You can be assured that she is not the author. It was written by rabid east coast anti gunners working for Mothers Demand they get some Action (MDA). She is being handed a resume builder by her parties leadership. Some say that flooding her phone and email with comments could send her crying to the party bosses about the mean gun people. I would never say that, but others may suggest it.

This video contains audio of a court hearing regarding a challenge to Maryland's purchase permit scheme. It is quite enlightening to hear the discourse between the judge and the attorney defending the state law. If you think that purchase permits need to be shot down in court, you will laugh when you hear this lawyer get called out for making ridiculous arguments.

This video contains audio of a court hearing regarding a challenge to Maryland's purchase permit scheme.
02:00min mark. Priceless! Other highlights at 04:30 (Ohh... ouch!), 09:10 and 10:45 skips the commentary and actual court audio.

Anyone wanna lay a bet on how this judge is going to rule? ;)

Only place I can find for what is going on with meassure 114. But seems to be getting off track. Also I was trying to find out how long a firearm background check is taking in Oregon right now. After a month I have a pretty good answer. As of today, it is 2 months and 4 days wait time. That is approximately 444 checks a day over a five day week.

Only place I can find for what is going on with meassure 114. But seems to be getting off track. Also I was trying to find out how long a firearm background check is taking in Oregon right now. After a month I have a pretty good answer. As of today, it is 2 months and 4 days wait time. That is approximately 444 checks a day over a five day week.
And yet, they work 7 days a week. So even less getting done.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top