JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're just 5 years older than me. Something your post made me think of. Back in those days I doubt the media, (What? Three channels?), had such an agenda. Was not hell-bent on changing the public's perception of things. The Viet Nam war, it says, was from 1954-1975. "Communism" was the headline of the day! Parents allowed their children freedoms, but protected them from serious adult topics. Christ, now parents take their young children to protests where violence is likely to happen. They teach their children that they are racist or they have suffered, or are, suffering because of racism.

I'd be willing to bet there were some crazy kids that went of the rails and killed people back in our days. You know, as you were growing up, there were those kids in your neighborhood alway getting in trouble? their parent drank, or beat on each other? Or some that lived, on the other side of the tracks, :)rolleyes:) so to speak, that were "No damn good" according to your parents. Now days those kids take it to the next step. Social media seems like as good a thing as any other to put part of the blame on. Parenting is another good one. We were pretty happy as kids. But we were raised in a completely different way.

Case in point: Teaching third graders they could be a boy or a girl.

No, it's not the gun. There's something else rotten with our society. I'm just F'ing glad I'm as old as I am. We had some damn good times my friend.
When we were growing up there was a few "bad apples" kids. The difference was there was jails in those days for the kids who could not function in society. It was VERY rare to ever know a kid who had been locked up for a while in one of these. All my life I knew one a passing level a couple of them. One thing I remember was it was not treated like some kind of joke. NO ONE wanted to end up in one of the jails. When I started High School it was already a waste of my time and the schools. I showed up and did the min I had to do to not get tossed out as in those days you either went to school till you were 16 or they put you in a locked place where you went to school. So I toed the line enough to stay out until I turned 16 at which point I told them OK, you have no hold on me now.

When we were growing up there was a few "bad apples" kids. The difference was there was jails in those days for the kids who could not function in society. It was VERY rare to ever know a kid who had been locked up for a while in one of these. All my life I knew one a passing level a couple of them. One thing I remember was it was not treated like some kind of joke. NO ONE wanted to end up in one of the jails. When I started High School it was already a waste of my time and the schools. I showed up and did the min I had to do to not get tossed out as in those days you either went to school till you were 16 or they put you in a locked place where you went to school. So I toed the line enough to stay out until I turned 16 at which point I told them OK, you have no hold on me now.
You weren't in school until 12th grade? For the record, I was terrible at school. Likely hated every damned year of it. Not a bad kid. Stayed low profile. But probably "Learning Disabled" before they called it that.

You weren't in school until 12th grade? For the record, I was terrible at school. Likely hated every damned year of it. Not a bad kid. Stayed low profile. But probably "Learning Disabled" before they called it that.
I was in 10th I think it was when I got caught smoking pot. Had just turned 16 so told the top guy I did not care as I was done. Those "alternative" schools were an experimental thing then and he talked me into letting him drive me out to one to see. They set me up with a full time job and I could come to school 1 day a week and turn in my work. I excelled at that, loved it. Stayed there for couple years and almost finished. Took GED, passed and off to the "real world" I went. Then in 2010 I was going to go back to College. They could not find the school I went to ever existed. Have to guess records got lost somewhere. They could not find the GED records either. So had to go do the GED again. Was actually kind of fun.

I was in 10th I think it was when I got caught smoking pot. Had just turned 16 so told the top guy I did not care as I was done. Those "alternative" schools were an experimental thing then and he talked me into letting him drive me out to one to see. They set me up with a full time job and I could come to school 1 day a week and turn in my work. I excelled at that, loved it. Stayed there for couple years and almost finished. Took GED, passed and off to the "real world" I went. Then in 2010 I was going to go back to College. They could not find the school I went to ever existed. Have to guess records got lost somewhere. They could not find the GED records either. So had to go do the GED again. Was actually kind of fun.
WOW. I think that makes you a pretty special. Well, I don't mean "Pretty" like a girl or anything. :s0114:

Found work more interesting than high school, departed midway through 10th grade. Money was great, freedom was great, but the earning for unskilled labor was not going to be sufficient to make a young man's dreams of a brand new car a reality.

Took my GED is December 1979, went to pick it up in January 1980 so I could register for my first semester of college…. They wouldn't give it to me because I hadn't met the age requirement (six months past 18th birthday) or the class requirement (six months past your classes graduation date).

After mom had a conversation with her friend, the school district superintendent, I received my certificate and merrily went off to register for college. Finished my first semester of college before my class graduated from high school. Still have that certificate.

WOW. I think that makes you a pretty special. Well, I don't mean "Pretty" like a girl or anything. :s0114:
The best part was in college made Honor Roll and Deans list, won student of the year first year. When I was getting that award I said any of my teachers who are still alive that are told about this will call you a liar. Those that have died are rolling over in their graves. Now I am paying out of my pocket to go to school and its amazing how different it is. That got a lot of laughs from the crowd.
Finished with a 3.87 GPA. Again when my money was on the line I looked at it all a LOT differently :s0140:
At Graduation Wife was asking me what the handful of people who had a yellow sash and a few others who had the sash and braided cords meant. I told her Honor roll and Deans list. She got all incensed why I did not have those. I told her they wanted like $40 each for them and I had better things to do with the cash. I said if you want a picture of me wearing the damn things I can order some on line for about 1/10th that much and you can take a picture of me wearing them if you want. Means squat to me, I know where I finished .:D

No, it's not the gun. There's something else rotten with our society. I'm just F'ing glad I'm as old as I am. We had some damn good times my friend.
Agreed Friend!!! Your post caused an explosion of memories of my old days. I remember grabbing a blanket, a can of Wolf Brand Chili, some wooden matches, a hunting knife and my .22 rifle. Told my parents that I was going rabbit hunting and they said OK have a good time. And I did! I was 12 at the time. Couldn't do that today I tell ya. Looking back I spent more time outdoors than indoors. I am happy you reminded me of these memories. Also happy to hear others have shared my experiences. As the old song went, "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..." Alas they have for this current generation of children. One last chuckle. We used to have fire starting contests ... limited to only one match ... who could build a fire in the shortest time? Ahem, I'll not speak of the vacant lot in an old Oil Field town that went up in flames as a result of such a contest. I still won that day but couldn't sit down for a week afterwards. Children of our day also understood natural consequences! OK enough for now. Thanks Mikej.

One of my worst recurring nightmares.

I have to go back to high school for some ridiculous reason , but as an adult. It ain't Billy Madison .

Agreed Friend!!! Your post caused an explosion of memories of my old days.
We didn't play with guns. We were semi rural. I was 16 and had a Honda 90. Before I was 16 I had dads' old Honda 55 but didn't go on the roads. The 90 was after dad got a new 90. I'd get on that a o-dark 30 and head up the canyon with fishing gear and a mess kit. Catch a couple trout, cook em' and then spend the rest of the day free riding all those dirt roads, exploring old mine sites and riding deer trails in The Wasatch Front. Salt Lake Valley (UT.)

Dang. Sorry about about the thread drift ( not really). Got to talk to other old farts from time to time about the good old days. :s0114:

I do not know if this is true or NOT but the 'news' said that the PARENTS SAID that were NO signs of their son aka the MURDERER having any issues.

Bla and bla.

Cate

Unfortunately I don't see these sort of shootings changing or getting better. I think as Americans, we have sort of accepted that unwanted and unexpected death is part of having the second amendment. For now at least, until a sizable quantity decides otherwise, which we are watching happen in front of our own eyes.
I'm a long time American, I do not except the statement " unwanted and unexpected death" as part and parcel to the second amendment, nor any arrangement of words which lend credence that would indicate removal of the second amendment would facilitate "changing or getting better" , and so dissociate myself from "we"

I'm a long time American, I do not except the statement " unwanted and unexpected death" as part and parcel to the second amendment, nor any arrangement of words which lend credence that would indicate removal of the second amendment would facilitate "changing or getting better" , and so dissociate myself from "we"
But most drivers have accepted that unwanted and unexpected deaths are part and parcel of the right to freely travel with the privilege of driving automobiles :rolleyes:

(How many pedestrian deaths are there....; as well as cyclists and animal riders... )

But most drivers have accepted that unwanted and unexpected deaths are part and parcel of the right to freely travel with the privilege of driving automobiles :rolleyes:

(How many pedestrian deaths are there....; as well as cyclists and animal riders... )
I was not aware most of those automobile deaths were intentional, delusional, out of anger, premeditated, etc. as I assume most mass shootings are? which is what I was responding to. Removal of the second amendment may reduce accidental or "stupid" shootings, but sooner or later folks with harmful intent will succeed in their dastardly endeavor by other means with potentially more devastating results.
Since life in general is tenuous and unpredictable, it would also make sense to remove any inference to right to life from our constitution. No need to give folks any hope or false expectations of safety.
I can agree that unwanted and unexpected deaths' are part and parcel to life itself. but I feel removing ones rights to any constitutional part of what little autonomy we still have left will not stop or even reduce the devious and criminal, or just fragile human mind from breaking. Nor will removing our rights to personal protection from bad folks and despots, stop the bullies of the world.

View attachment 1292332
15 year old Austin Thompson (right) and his older brother which Austin killed, 16 year old James Roger Thompson.
Austin Thompson is the person hospitalized, suspected of killing five and injuring two others in a shooting spree in Raleigh, North Carolina.
That must be him, he does have the mass murderer brow. ;)

Surprised the media aren't focusing on the gun as if the gun is the suspect. Where he got the gun, who bought the gun, where it was stored, how many rounds it holds, is the evil gun in custody.

. Removal of the second amendment may reduce accidental or "stupid" shootings, but sooner or later folks with harmful intent will succeed in their dastardly endeavor by other means with potentially more devastating results.
I have long "tried" to warn those who seem to think taking the guns from the "people" will stop the kooks. To make this work they would have to be willing to take the guns from EVERYONE. People who are willing to go shoot up a place like a school will be glad to kill to get the gun if they have to. If those who want no guns really want it to work they would have to take the Cops guns. If they don't some scum would gladly off one to take the gun. When I say this to most of them you can see their eyes glaze over as they just do not want to hear the truth. :s0092:
A LOT of the "lets take the guns" crowd are VERY wealthy and they of course have people with guns protecting them. Be fun to watch them when they were told your armed guards can no longer have guns. Watch them scream then. :s0140:

I was not aware most of those automobile deaths were intentional, delusional, out of anger, premeditated, etc. as I assume most mass shootings are? which is what I was responding to. Removal of the second amendment may reduce accidental or "stupid" shootings, but sooner or later folks with harmful intent will succeed in their dastardly endeavor by other means with potentially more devastating results.
Since life in general is tenuous and unpredictable, it would also make sense to remove any inference to right to life from our constitution. No need to give folks any hope or false expectations of safety.
I can agree that unwanted and unexpected deaths' are part and parcel to life itself. but I feel removing ones rights to any constitutional part of what little autonomy we still have left will not stop or even reduce the devious and criminal, or just fragile human mind from breaking. Nor will removing our rights to personal protection from bad folks and despots, stop the bullies of the world.
I'd say most of the "gun deaths" reported by the media are suicides; and that mass shootings by any definition; are a very small percentage of gun deaths/crimes especially if one uses the UCJ FBI reports for "mass murders" as being more than 3 dead....

Some may argue we already inferred the loss of right to life due to legal abortions, regardless of where you stand on that issue alone.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top