JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It can be a pretty tough install. especially if the safe was chinese made or it was hand made (dial alignment on them is pretty crucial for longevity, and so it rotates smoothly).
I had no trouble reconfiguring my old mechanical dial lock, but I have 30 years experience as an instrument technician. I'm used to working on complicated and delicate small electronic and mechanic equipment. A lot of the stuff I worked on was so old there were no replacement parts available, so we had to make the parts ourselves, like custom fit screws and linkages.

Inside a lock near any wheel packs, I would only use Shell 22 (there is only a few places you can put it). On the cam and dial bushing I would use super lube.
Don't use teflon grease inside a safe lock
Does it make a difference whether the actual locking lug is a sliding bar or a pivot block for fitment and operational purposes?

View attachment 1492094View attachment 1492095
It only makes a difference if your bar has a second hole that the slide bolt falls into (rounded nose). In that case you would be better off using the deadbolt (square nose)

I have always thought these digital safe locks cool-- They are electric but use no batteries. To open, you turn the dial back & forth 3-4 times-- this powers up the lock & when it lights up, then you enter the combo & it opens.

I've had the vertical model on a safe for almost 20 years-- These are not made for a beginner to install

Last Edited:
Some safe owners (and even some Locksmiths) may not be aware of an important safety feature that comes with any gun safe equipped with a mechanical dial combination.

After 5 beers, I can't get into my safe even (literally) to save my life. :cool:

Changing the combination on a dial lock is very easy.
I once worked at a very large government site with security safes in a large percentage of the offices. When one's job required a safe, they were required to change the combination themself. Before doing so, they received a 5-minute training session that included actually changing the combination on a lock. Everyone had to do it, and failures were very few and far between.

If a run-of-the-mill government employee can do it, you can too . . . unless your IQ is way below par.

My safe is 40 years old, the manufacturer is no longer in business so I guess the combination is on file nowhere. My concern re. security isn't so much about the integrity of the lock. My concern is more about a burglar ripping the safe out of the floor and carrying it away intact, to some other location where it can be easily broken into, perhaps without regard to any kind of lock.

Re. school lockers. Around here, most schools no longer allow students to use them. School administrators don't want kids to have a hidey-hole where they can potentially store contraband items.

I paid two tweekers to load up my 1885 pound safe into their rickety trailer and transport it from my business to my house & put it in my house-- where there is a will, there is a way

of course Florida Man has done it all already

Changing the combination on a dial lock is very easy.
I once worked at a very large government site with security safes in a large percentage of the offices. When one's job required a safe, they were required to change the combination themself. Before doing so, they received a 5-minute training session that included actually changing the combination on a lock. Everyone had to do it, and failures were very few and far between.

If a run-of-the-mill government employee can do it, you can too . . . unless your IQ is way below par.
It's all easy until something goes wrong

What usually happens when something goes wrong is eventually the lock cover is removed & the door gets closed and the relocker goes off-- That's when it starts getting expensive
We had a guy this week fire a relocker, and sink a door panel screw into a locking bolt when he changed his lock out. So, the relocker had to be defeated and the bolts punched to get past the door panel screw. It was an expensive ordeal, and he got some extra holes drilled in his safe.

Neighbor was locked out of their safe for 2 years, I opened it up for her.

20230927_171407.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top