JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks so much for all your friendly advice and good wishes. One of the things I like most about this community is the generosity and eagerness to welcome people into it. That's mostly been my experience anyway. I ended up ordering a
Lee Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit
Lee 4 piece 9mm die kit (includes the factory crimp die)
Hornady bullet puller
3 different types of powder (cost me an $11 hazmat fee, they ranged from $20 to $26 each.. figured it was worth it
3x breech lock rings (the kit comes with one so I'll have one for each die)
Cost me about $325 shipped
so unless I'm missing something I just need primer, bullets, and a trip to harbor freight to by a tumbler.
My Lee book is supposed to be here in a week but in the meantime I will be watching johnnys reloading series on YouTube.
Thanks again everybody. You rock.

Man, if all you had to pay was $11.00 for a hazmat? I thought it was always in the neighborhood of $27.00?

In my case I've never realized a need for a 4-die set. Seat and crimp has been fine. Just realize when you do a taper crimp that it doesn't take much resistance to remove the flare from the case being expanded to accept the bullet. And, I presume you'll be using "Used" 9mm brass. The vast majority of us don't trim straight wall brass that gets taper crimped. That means that brass length will vary. When crimping you'll get a different feel at the bottom of the crimp stroke because of the different brass length. The key is to set the crimp die so it doesn't fold the longer cases. Well, don't worry about it too much. You'll learn, if, after messing a few up. :D

About the lee book? Get more than one book and check the Hodgdon site... Hodgdon Reloading | Home

So simple a Caveman could do it.

That's awesome. You did good. Maybe someone up there will do you right and set you up with some primers and cast slugs for way cheap.
Thanks man. That would be sweet! :) Years ago when I was first getting into shooting.. took my 9yo to a local range with my 10/22. One of the old timers there saw the little guy struggling with the length of pull on the rifle (couldn't shoulder it at all basically) and ended up giving us a wooden stock he had lying around, measured my son and cut the end off it so he could shoulder it. As we were leaving he handed him a brick of .22. Blew me away. I know I said it before, but this community is awesome. Made me want to pay it forward to another, and I have. Sorry for going off topic but I felt inspired to share that story.

Thanks man. That would be sweet! :) Years ago when I was first getting into shooting.. took my 9yo to a local range with my 10/22. One of the old timers there saw the little guy struggling with the length of pull on the rifle (couldn't shoulder it at all basically) and ended up giving us a wooden stock he had lying around, measured my son and cut the end off it so he could shoulder it. As we were leaving he handed him a brick of .22. Blew me away. I know I said it before, but this community is awesome. Made me want to pay it forward to another, and I have. Sorry for going off topic but I felt inspired to share that story.
I'll bet your boy will never forget that either. Awesome story.

Man, if all you had to pay was $11.00 for a hazmat? I thought it was always in the neighborhood of $27.00?

In my case I've never realized a need for a 4-die set. Seat and crimp has been fine. Just realize when you do a taper crimp that it doesn't take much resistance to remove the flare from the case being expanded to accept the bullet. And, I presume you'll be using "Used" 9mm brass. The vast majority of us don't trim straight wall brass that gets taper crimped. That means that brass length will vary. When crimping you'll get a different feel at the bottom of the crimp stroke because of the different brass length. The key is to set the crimp die so it doesn't fold the longer cases. Well, don't worry about it too much. You'll learn, if, after messing a few up. :D

About the lee book? Get more than one book and check the Hodgdon site... Hodgdon Reloading | Home

So simple a Caveman could do it.
Haha, can't wait to get going. Super excited. I intend to buy more books, they're not that expensive anyways— especially for a hardcover. Just paid $120 for a school book for my machinist apprentice program, the same size as the $18 lee book I ordered. What a racket.

There are a few people who find 'Reloading with Rosie' helpful but so far I can only see two good reasons for her vids...

maxresdefault.jpg

Haha, can't wait to get going. Super excited. I intend to buy more books, they're not that expensive anyways— especially for a hardcover. Just paid $120 for a school book for my machinist apprentice program, the same size as the $18 lee book I ordered. What a racket.

Hornady has their reloading book available as an app where you pay 99 cents per cartridge for load data. Loading only two calibers $1.98 is not bad for the data! Tip make sure you load a small amount to start with and test before going full ham on busting out 50+ rounds. Pulling bullets down is a huge PITA.

Stay on that primer hunt. ;). There will be some out there, prob from someone selling some from their stash.

That's why I got the anniversary kit- it comes with the turret mounted priming tool that swings back and forth
Those do work fine. It's how I learned and I used it for a long time. When I finally tried one of their hand held I found I liked it because of how I roll. Since I do everything in batches I could do the priming anywhere, not just at the bench where the press was. Often I would do it when watching TV with the Wife and kids or such. When you start its all a learning thing, see what works for you. You should have some time to decide what all you want to try while you wait for the supplies to catch up from the latest panic. :D

Those do work fine. It's how I learned and I used it for a long time. When I finally tried one of their hand held I found I liked it because of how I roll. Since I do everything in batches I could do the priming anywhere, not just at the bench where the press was. Often I would do it when watching TV with the Wife and kids or such. When you start its all a learning thing, see what works for you. You should have some time to decide what all you want to try while you wait for the supplies to catch up from the latest panic. :D
thats a good point. I'll probably end up getting a handheld one down the road. I'll be checking the forums and sites daily for primers until I find something. Just want something to learn on

thats a good point. I'll probably end up getting a handheld one down the road. I'll be checking the forums and sites daily for primers until I find something. Just want something to learn on
You're going about it the right way. Many after they start and going for a while will get some kind progressive but, a LOT of rollers never do. Even if you do some day buy a far more expensive set up the old press will come in handy so it's never a waste. After the panic is over I always found Ebay to be great for "upgrades" too. When I went to a better measure and a few other things I was always able to find them there for much less. Sold some well used Lee stuff there to. When the supplies come back lay in a good supply. The stuff stored properly will outlive you and these panic shortages have been going on all my life. Most never learn. Shelves will be full, stuff is on sale all over, it's ignored. Then another panic hits and people are mad :confused:
I never bothered buying a better press because after they started allowing us mortals to order ammo I did not bother to roll nearly as much. Just use factory ammo BUT, I keep all the stuff to roll all the calibers I use. So once you learn it, store the stuff needed and you can laugh off the next great panic as you can still shoot all you want:D:D:D
Not to mention it will be a ton of fun when you start. VERY rewarding to go to the range with your first loads you made yourself and they go bang:):)

Haha yeah I have heard people talk like it's going to be this way forever. Like there's never been a panic buy before. Hopefully by the time tax season comes it'll have calmed down so I can stock up ;). I have a few thousand rounds of 9mm and .22 stocked up, along with a little less than 1k of 5.56. Got a couple hundred 12ga but don't shoot that much. Hoping that's enough to get me through until all this craziness is over. I mostly shoot 9 because that's what I carry and like to get my practice in. Just bought a VP9 a few weeks ago and can't get enough of it. My main carry gun now. Sweet gun. Was pissed when it came with a hump in the feed ramp though. According to HK "it's normal and should not impede function" and they refuse to replace it. Apparently a lot of barrels have it. Paying that much for a 9 and then finding that is a real nutkicker. It works though, so *shrug*

Haha yeah I have heard people talk like it's going to be this way forever. Like there's never been a panic buy before. Hopefully by the time tax season comes it'll have calmed down so I can stock up ;). I have a few thousand rounds of 9mm and .22 stocked up, along with a little less than 1k of 5.56. Got a couple hundred 12ga but don't shoot that much. Hoping that's enough to get me through until all this craziness is over. I mostly shoot 9 because that's what I carry and like to get my practice in. Just bought a VP9 a few weeks ago and can't get enough of it. My main carry gun now. Sweet gun. Was pissed when it came with a hump in the feed ramp though. According to HK "it's normal and should not impede function" and they refuse to replace it. Apparently a lot of barrels have it. Paying that much for a 9 and then finding that is a real nutkicker. It works though, so *shrug*
The people running around saying the sky is falling are 99% people who have lived through at least a couple of these shortages. When the shelves filled up, stuff was on sale, they ignored it. So again they are caught pants down. So rather than admit they never learned they of course keep yelling this time is different. <shrug> These were happening long before Algore invented the net. The net did help them last a lot longer because every time one happens now people daily go on line to scream with hair on fire. This one will end, just like they all did. Be one of the few who learned from it because there will be another one down the road :cool:

This guy is selling powders that will work. I use Titegroup for 9mm and 1 pound goes a long way. Also not at a gouging price.

This guy is selling powders that will work. I use Titegroup for 9mm and 1 pound goes a long way. Also not at a gouging price.

Thanks man, I actually ordered 3lbs of different powders today and one of them was titegroup. $11 hazmat charge and it was $19.99/lb (midway)

So the rumor is true regarding H&K customer service that I heard. I'm going to stay far and away from this brand.

So the rumor is true regarding H&K customer service that I heard. I'm going to stay far and away from this brand.
That's the only dealing I've had with them. I have however heard that they're pretty good on most things. When you put them up against the customer service of companies like Ruger though they suck. I think they had a woopsie that doesn't effect function and they're sweeping it under the rug. From what I can tell the bullet makes contact with the ramp well above the hump. Almost looks like it's meant to feed from a staggered feed mag like an AR with the double feed ramps. It's not huge but you can definitely feel it with your finger and see it visually. Still isn't good for peace of mind, and like I said when you put $800 in to get a gun home after tax, shipping, ffl, etc. you expect the thing to be perfect.

Dillons super swager 600?

Did you all use an inline fabrications insert, and a rubber band to use as a flick option?

Just curious is all, haven't started processing in mass, however that swager is likely what I'll use...
Just used it as it came and found it soul-numbingly tedious.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top