JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, definitely not a huge deal. Just a bit of convenience. I don't think you're missing anything. The collars are $5 a piece, though. If they were $25 a piece I wouldn't even consider it.

Also, I found a lee 3 die set on ebay. Only damn place I could find one that I could order right now. Was $37, in the same ballpark as on Midway, so I ordered it.

Now, I need to find SPP and figure out what powder I should get for my first rounds.

I also can still keep my dies in their original labeled boxes. What do you store your dies in with the bushings on them?

Yeah, definitely not a huge deal. Just a bit of convenience. I don't think you're missing anything. The collars are $5 a piece, though. If they were $25 a piece I wouldn't even consider it.

Also, I found a lee 3 die set on ebay. Only damn place I could find one that I could order right now. Was $37, in the same ballpark as on Midway, so I ordered it.

Now, I need to find SPP and figure out what powder I should get for my first rounds.

It's kind of fun looking back at how a "Noob" thinks while they're just getting into reloading! :D Good times man. You'll come to see your perspectives of the hobby change as you move along in the process.I started in Dec 2011.

It's kind of fun looking back at how a "Noob" thinks while they're just getting into reloading! :D Good times man. You'll come to see your perspectives of the hobby change as you move along in the process.I started in Dec 2011.
I'm excited. I'm a machinist by trade so I enjoy tinkering with this kind of stuff.

You are tiring to get started right at the peak of the shortages, everyone is out of everything. Here's a little out of the box thinking, why not buy a gun in a less popular caliber that you can get dies and components for. The process is the same and it gets you a new gun, what can be wrong with that?

Here's something you'll find different with 9mm. It's a slightly tapered cartridge and takes quite a bit more effort in the resizing/decapping stage than other straightwall handgun cases. And you'll find different brass feels different in the process. As though some is softer and some harder. S & B 9mm is one I've put to the side in the past because of that. And Blazer is softer.

You are tiring to get started right at the peak of the shortages, everyone is out of everything. Here's a little out of the box thinking, why not buy a gun in a less popular caliber that you can get dies and components for. The process is the same and it gets you a new gun, what can be wrong with that?
Absolutely nothing. Just figured 9mm was a good place to start learning. I just bought a VP9 a couple weeks ago.

I don't get the deal with "Making caliber changes easier" I use an RCBS Rockchucker. Changing calibers on that press just means screwing the die in, and unscrewing. I presume the Lee single stage works the same? A few turns of the die isn't drudgery? And I don't have to have a bushing for every die I have. Am I missing something? Now with a progressive press I can see where having 3-4-5 dies pre set-up is more convenient. But on a single stage?
Lee dies use a compression O ring to "lock" the die onto the press, not a set screw to lock the ring to the die.
This subject of equipment/presses has come up frequently over the years.. OP, try to do a search here, not much has changed.
I'd suggest the Lee cast turret, and so do/would many. It bridges the gap between a single stage and a progressive pretty nicely. I love mine after being a RCBS Rockchucker SS press user for many years.

I don't get the deal with "Making caliber changes easier" I use an RCBS Rockchucker. Changing calibers on that press just means screwing the die in, and unscrewing. I presume the Lee single stage works the same? A few turns of the die isn't drudgery? And I don't have to have a bushing for every die I have. Am I missing something? Now with a progressive press I can see where having 3-4-5 dies pre set-up is more convenient. But on a single stage?
No you're not missing anything, with the quick change dies it's a quarter turn to change a die over 14 or so turns to thread in and out a die the regular way.

What would be a good powder to start with for 9mm?

One that you can find? :s0140:

Here something to consider....A lot of different powders will work in 9mm. Start looking at "Burn Rates" of various powders listed in the book. I used, and still use, the chart below for ideas of what powders to try. A handgun having a, relatively, short barrel needs a faster powder to get the bullet going, and all the powder burnt/used by the time it gets to the end of the barrel. Using this chart, and printed load data you can see powders that should be appropriate. For "ME", I've landed on HS-6 for 9mm and .40 in guns with 3" -5" barrels. Theoretically any powder with a burn rate HS-6 at #40 and Titewad at #5 would work. Always, ALWAYS, use data from a reliable printed source. There's a lot of data out there from the powder manufacturers to use. Read the rules in the loading books and soak 'em in.

1600089094814.png

Lee dies use a compression O ring to "lock" the die onto the press, not a set screw to lock the ring to the die.
This subject of equipment/presses has come up frequently over the years.. OP, try to do a search here, not much has changed.
I'd suggest the Lee cast turret, and so do/would many. It bridges the gap between a single stage and a progressive pretty nicely. I love mine after being a RCBS Rockchucker SS press user for many years.

I forgot that part. You are right, the o-rings are a pita. That's why I bought Hornady lock rings to replace the rings on only the seating and decapping die. They're about $5.00 too. Oh, less... Amazon.com: Hornady Sure-LOC Lock Rings, 044606 (6 Pack): Sports & Outdoors

OH, @thermox9898 tie a rope around your waist! You're standing on the edge, and leaning over! "Wonder Land" is calling! :s0140:

I'm in the process of preparing to buy equipment to start reloading. I've ordered a Lee reloading manual.. should be here in a week or so. I'm a little overwhelmed on what equipment to buy.. I'm certainly leaning toward a progressive press. Looking for some recommendations on equipment for a basic setup for 9mm and 5.56, as well as some good resources for learning. I figured the book was a good place to start. Thanks guys.

OP I am not trying to yank your chain , but on why earth did you wait till now?

It's not like its easier to get components , and equipment now than it would have been pre covid. I am glad you decided to get into hand loading but doing it now will cost you a considerable premium

That's not something you can do with a single stage though, right? Just making sure I'm understanding correctly. I was also wondering about the FC die, thanks for the info. I will try to find the 4 die set, looks like midway is out of both (4 and 3 die set) unfortunately.

No the single stage you were looking at has adapters that allow you to set up a die, then take the whole thing out. When you pop it back in its still set up and ready to go. I have always "batch loaded" so either would work doing it may way. I will size and de prime a bunch. Then I like the hand primmer tools so I will prime them. Then flare the mouth on the batch. Last actually load them. The FC die means you set the seating die to just set the bullet to the correct depth but no crimp. Then after done run them through the FC die. I found it WELL worth it. Setting the crimp takes some trial and error and all the cases have to be very close to same length. The FC die does not care so no more sorting cases any more. First time I tried one I had rolled some .38's for a friend. They did not want to drop into the cylinder. Turns out it was very close tolerance. Bought a FC die and they all worked fine. So then I started buying them for everything I roll.

I'm in the process of preparing to buy equipment to start reloading. I've ordered a Lee reloading manual.. should be here in a week or so. I'm a little overwhelmed on what equipment to buy.. I'm certainly leaning toward a progressive press. Looking for some recommendations on equipment for a basic setup for 9mm and 5.56, as well as some good resources for learning. I figured the book was a good place to start. Thanks guys.
If you're overwhelmed it may be simpler to start witha single stage. Im not usually somebody who says you can't start on a prgressive. If youre pretty sure your gonna stay invested in this way of life then go for it! The books are great places to learn i would also highly recommend watching jihnnys reloading bench on YouTube. He has a whole series dedicated to teaching beginners. He's very thorough and informational. And as far as equipment, the ultimate reloader on youtube has a pretty vast set of equipment hes done reviews on. He has a video reviewing 14 different single stages and is working on doing the same with all the popular progressives.

Definitely would get me started sooner. Looks like I would be spending at least $500 on a progressive. $130 for that kit is pretty hard to pass up and I could order it now. It seems like a good deal even at the normal $200 price tag.
Also take into consideration the lee turret press. I dont have any hands-on experience, but if youre already considering a progressive, this might be a good in betweener!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top