JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have never found a need for a progressive press and happily get buy with a single stage and a redding turret press. I have the single stage for larger precision rifle rounds and the turret for higher volume stuff. I have several extra turret heads and each holds two calibers. I leave those dies in the heads all ready and adjusted properly. The only place I find a need for the 1/4 turn die adaptors is for my powder measure. It makes it easier to dump its contents back into powder jug. In my mind, you would have to be shooting thousands of rounds monthly to justify a progressive. Or maybe you just hate reloading or have so little time for it and just want to knock the rounds out as quick as possible. I enjoy reloading and have time to do it so that is the basis of my equipment selection. Ymmv

Amen! I used a Dillon bench swager and decided it should be used to interrogate terrorists or punish criminals
"You are sentenced to... 10,000 cases!!

Dillons super swager 600?

Did you all use an inline fabrications insert, and a rubber band to use as a flick option?

Just curious is all, haven't started processing in mass, however that swager is likely what I'll use...

Might I suggest a single stage to start out with?

Lots of guys will be along shortly to help you out with tools and gear to get.

The book is a great place to start. Lots of YouTube videos out there as well to help you get started!
I'd echo the single stage approach as well. It's a great way to learn the art of reloading. Taking your time and ensuring each step in the process is followed, exactly. Build out your loads, test them, perfect them. When you feel that you have the consistency you desire with those single stage reloads, then move into the progressive.

There's enough to learn and keep track of with reloading itself, master the basics before moving on. Just my .02 and worth every penny paid...

1600113564030.png

A progressive is the bomb for brass prep
I have a Dillon Super 1050 that I bought for it's built in swager. I hate swaging primer pockets:mad::mad::mad:
Anyway I lube up a bunch of brass, size and swage it on the 1050, then trim the cases on the Giraud.
Then I tumble the brass with pins, dry it, lube it then pull the sizer die out of the turret and reload it all on the 1050 at about 700-800 rounds per hour.
Easy-peasy:D

And....EXPENSIVE.

Whatever......

Everyone should be RICH. Wouldn't that be nice?

Aloha, Mark

I've used plenty of Bullseye and Unique used to be my goto powder too. There's nothing wrong with those although Bullseye is the powder that was too dirty for my revolver.

As for metering, powder size and shape affects that process and the larger the powder the easier it is for a flake to get jammed as the charge is moved to the dropping position. This is why Accurate works so well in my view -- it's tiny and spherical. Bullseye is a larger disc shape -- this photo is both powders taken side by side (*). Any tiny spherical powder is going to do great in a powder measure no matter what the brand (and flakes will too, just not as good):

powder.png

* I moved the bullseye in software to be closer to the Accurate so the picture wouldn't be wide but the relative size of each powder is unaltered

EDIT: in stock here right now, 1 pound will do 1250 or more 9mm: Accurate #5 | Powder Valley

Last Edited:
OP I am not trying to yank your chain , but on why earth did you wait till now?

It's not like its easier to get components , and equipment now than it would have been pre covid. I am glad you decided to get into hand loading but doing it now will cost you a considerable premium

Gota starts sometime and ammo shortages help pull folks into reloading. I have a close friend that for years I have said "start reloading". When ammo started getting thin mid Feb, I screamed at him "BUY PRIMERS NOW". He did and has 4 or 5k to work with. He is getting set up now.

I will hold my usual - go Blue (Dillon) + progressive banter, its in plenty of other posts titled about the same as this one. OP I think its great you starting, enjoy!

A progressive is the bomb for brass prep
I have a Dillon Super 1050 that I bought for it's built in swager. I hate swaging primer pockets:mad::mad::mad:
Anyway I lube up a bunch of brass, size and swage it on the 1050, then trim the cases on the Giraud.
Then I tumble the brass with pins, dry it, lube it then pull the sizer die out of the turret and reload it all on the 1050 at about 700-800 rounds per hour.
Easy-peasy:D

@GWS add the Dillon 1500 case trimmer to your 1050. This way you deprime, resize, swage, trim, and neck size on one tool head. Add an AmmoBot and let it run brass why you prep the next run of brass. :D

Thanks man. I think im going to order the Lee kit today. What do you think of the quick change setup for the dies? Is it worth the money to buy the collars for it? I certainly like the idea.
The benefit is worth the slight uptick in cost. Set the dies once in the breech-lock bushing and your good to go. Otherwise you'll need to tweak the die setting each time you thread them into a single stage press. I have both and much prefer the breech-lock...

Be aware that there's two types of "turret" presses, Lee and others. The Lee automatically advances the turret holding the dies and the others just hold the dies, requiring you to manually spin the turret to whatever die you might want.

Gota starts sometime and ammo shortages help pull folks into reloading. I have a close friend that for years I have said "start reloading". When ammo started getting thin mid Feb, I screamed at him "BUY PRIMERS NOW". He did and has 4 or 5k to work with. He is getting set up now.

I will hold my usual - go Blue (Dillon) + progressive banter, its in plenty of other posts titled about the same as this one. OP I think its great you starting, enjoy!

@GWS add the Dillon 1500 case trimmer to your 1050. This way you deprime, resize, swage, trim, and neck size on one tool head. Add an AmmoBot and let it run brass why you prep the next run of brass. :D
I prefer the Giraud because it trims deburs and chamfers brass all at once. I love the idea of that motor but I'd rather spend the money on a new gun. I have that bullet feeder but have done nothing but fight with it to the point that I'm thinking of selling it off

I prefer the Giraud because it trims deburs and chamfers brass all at once. I love the idea of that motor but I'd rather spend the money on a new gun. I have that bullet feeder but have done nothing but fight with it to the point that I'm thinking of selling it off

I have the Giraud annealer, the little family ran business makes good stuff. The D1500 running as the brass is swaged, formed and neck sized is flawlessly fast for me. Also makes 300BLK brass like there's no tomorrow all using a non-proiprotary carbide cutter. I still have to do the same hand-feeding function like the Giraud trimmer to debur the brass on a cheep auto debur clamped to the bench. I have wanted to try post tumbling with extra stainless chips to see if that deburs it further.

"That bullet feeder" is this a Mr. Bullet feeder? If you would like, put up a different thread on the issues with it. Happy to help you troubleshoot it. They take some using (and fighting) them to learn how to get them to behave. I have mine now running 55g .223 to 220g .30 ELDX (real tall) and feeding reliable.

Dude's head is going to be spinning with an info overload here....:s0114:

And....
The Hornady type are more like a threaded clam and the screw is larger

Yer killen' me man. 'Bout spit beer all over the keybaord! :s0140:

"Threaded clam" indeed! Never heard of THAT kind of clam before.

Dillons super swager 600?

Did you all use an inline fabrications insert, and a rubber band to use as a flick option?

Just curious is all, haven't started processing in mass, however that swager is likely what I'll use...
I probably should look into this myself.

Thanks so much for all your friendly advice and good wishes. One of the things I like most about this community is the generosity and eagerness to welcome people into it. That's mostly been my experience anyway. I ended up ordering a
Lee Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit
Lee 4 piece 9mm die kit (includes the factory crimp die)
Hornady bullet puller
3 different types of powder (cost me an $11 hazmat fee, they ranged from $20 to $26 each.. figured it was worth it
3x breech lock rings (the kit comes with one so I'll have one for each die)
Cost me about $325 shipped
so unless I'm missing something I just need primer, bullets, and a trip to harbor freight to by a tumbler.
My Lee book is supposed to be here in a week but in the meantime I will be watching johnnys reloading series on YouTube.
Thanks again everybody. You rock.

Thanks so much for all your friendly advice and good wishes. One of the things I like most about this community is the generosity and eagerness to welcome people into it. That's mostly been my experience anyway. I ended up ordering a
Hornady bullet puller
3 different types of powder (cost me an $11 hazmat fee, they ranged from $20 to $26 each.. figured it was worth it
so unless I'm missing something I just need primer, bullets, and a trip to harbor freight to by a tumbler.
My Lee book is supposed to be here in a week but in the meantime I will be watching johnnys reloading series on YouTube.

I'm waiting to buy a lee pro 4000 kit. It will be around $200-$225. Just wait, patience is a virtue. Some on Amazon wants to sell a die set lee 9mm for $100, sure. whatever.

Hornady bullet puller
You'll need some sort of priming tool too :)

Hornady bullet puller
That's awesome. You did good. Maybe someone up there will do you right and set you up with some primers and cast slugs for way cheap.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top