JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking into getting a few acres of land where I can shoot within a hour of Vancouver/portland. And for a bug out location should the need ever arise.

Do any of you guys know of such a area to get me started?

I went to Christmas Valley to find find my oasis.

Down side is it's 4 hrs from Portland and there's no water rights.

Up side is i got 60 acres at the county land auction for $130/acre. Nearest neighbor is 2 miles away. Tons of jackrabbits to hunt. And it's bordered by blm land so set steel out over 1000 yards.

I went to Christmas Valley to find find my oasis.

Down side is it's 4 hrs from Portland and there's no water rights.

Up side is i got 60 acres at the county land auction for $130/acre. Nearest neighbor is 2 miles away. Tons of jackrabbits to hunt. And it's bordered by blm land so set steel out over 1000 yards.

How long ago was this? That is a good price for just a place to go relax.

I have looked into a few places and most are 20K plus for anything kind of decent.

Bought the land last summer. Google lake county land auction. Happens every July. Good deals are if a plot doesn't sell the first year. The following year it's over the counter for 40% "market price".

That's not a bad idea. Its super cheap out there. Sucks its a little far away. But probably nice for weekend camping trip or compound. I wonder what building rules are? To google I go

Why buy land? Do some research of suitable federal land. BLM. Find a place with water, caves, or even clif dwellings. There are even areas that have caves with year round ice. I mean, when things go south, the authorities are going to be too busy to wory about sqaters.

We are going back over between Prineville and John Day to look at a 50 acre piece over there. Plotted among others, with creek access, pretty much unimproved access, no utilities..but we want it for hunting and potential get away form the urban areas thing. Completely off grid.

Though the production is limited there are ways to grow an arid climate veggie garden, lots of info on the web. One of the secrets is not to plow or pull out roots in fall., a green house will work in winter, all on minimal water. I can guarantee you that once you spend time on a hunk of land you'll want to make improvements, it's a guy thing. If you change anything that has to do with water keep it seceret and make it look like it was there for 70 years or more. If you have an endangered specie on your prop SSS or your land will be taken, though you'll still have to pay taxes on it. I had a State Wildlife Intern cruise past the Site today looking for nests today. I was standing in the driveway so they kept on driving but on my neighbor's land they got out and trespassed hoping to find a nest so they could shut down the property to AG use, defacto State Refuge

Check with the USDAwhen I was looking around for a coupkle of years came across their site. had homes in small out of the way towns, and land that will actually grow a crop.

That's not a bad idea. Its super cheap out there. Sucks its a little far away. But probably nice for weekend camping trip or compound. I wonder what building rules are? To google I go
Well an hour away for the metropolis isn't much of a bug out. The idiots can still make it to your place then. A couple hours? then they may not want to travel that far.
Heck 2-3 hours Friday night or Saturday morning ain't so bad for a weekend away.But in bug out terms,I think it may be a huge plus for your safety

My concern about it out there is there is limited concealment, looks dry with limited water sources, and the distance.
the distance is good for getting away from the crazys in the city but, the distance is bad because ideally I want to make it on one tank of gas, and as the distance increases so does the risk of bad things happening(break down, check points, being car jacked, stuck in traffic, roads are down, ect.)

I spotted 40 acres the other day for 6900 bucks, albeit 2.5 miles from a paved road but still what a deal.
-- the posts on the listing above make it sound like its some deliverance type people living up there lol

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top