JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I found a new hunting/shooting area that is pretty open. My gps says it is .8 miles long, and I now that I have access to a spot where I can reach out, I would like to get an Ar that will hit out there. Up until now, I have never shot further than 250 yards. Due to limited funds, I am not going with a 6.5 or 6.8 caliber and just sticking with good old 5.56. My main question is will an 18in barrel be ok, or do I need a 20-24in? I am not expecting bench rest accuracy, but I would like to hit a silhouette sized target consistently from, say 800 yards or so. Will a 1 moa 16in barrel print anywhere close to an 8in group at 800 yards with good conditions?

I also found signs of coyotes out there; pretty excited.

IMG_20170312_165134_zpsjvdoy3un.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I found a new hunting/shooting area that is pretty open. My gps says it is .8 miles long, and I now that I have access to a spot where I can reach out, I would like to get an Ar that will hit out there. Up until now, I have never shot further than 250 yards. Due to limited funds, I am not going with a 6.5 or 6.8 caliber and just sticking with good old 5.56. My main question is will an 18in barrel be ok, or do I need a 20-24in? I am not expecting bench rest accuracy, but I would like to hit a silhouette sized target consistently from, say 800 yards or so. Will a 1 moa 16in barrel print anywhere close to an 8in group at 800 yards with good conditions?

I also found signs of coyotes out there; pretty excited.

View attachment 349062']View attachment 349063[/URL]
I can't see 800 yard 's lol but I am planning on building a AR 10 but I would think that for a 5.56 you would need perfect condition 's any wind would push that small bullet off at 800 yards but I'm no professional at long range shooting

I'm by no means qualified to answer this, However, there are a lot of guys that shooting at 800-1200 yds with AR15s.
The problem is people cry about ballistics and kill power at those ranges, but who freakin cares when your punchin paper. You don't need kill power for paper and accuracy out of even a 16" barrel can be had with even decent off the shelf ammo.

Obviously the more barrel you have the better it will be.

But you may want to invest in a good barrel and maybe a matching bolt.

I was going to say using a heavy bullet would probably help but like I said I don't do much long range shooting but like he said I have heard of guys reaching out with a AR15 but I think they do change there barrels

There was a thread on here for long range shooting I don't know if it's still there might want to go ask on there probley get a response from someone who knows what he's talking bout LOL

You lose accuracy when you bullet drops to subsonic speeds - the transition through the sound barrier jostles the bullet. The rule of thumb is that this happens to most 5.56 rounds at about 600 yards, but run the ballistics on the round you are shooting. Note that the bullet doesn't stop there, you just get much wider groups after that.

I like this calculator at JBM - note that they have others as well

I would think with a heavier bullet and a longer barrel with the right twist rate you would increase your chances of good groupings at 800+ yds

But I am far from an expert. I am sure some guys will chime in with more knowledge.

You lose accuracy when you bullet drops to subsonic speeds - the transition through the sound barrier jostles the bullet. The rule of thumb is that this happens to most 5.56 rounds at about 600 yards, but run the ballistics on the round you are shooting. Note that the bullet doesn't stop there, you just get much wider groups after that.

I like this calculator at JBM - note that they have others as well

For an example I ran the 80gr Nosler @ 2575 fps (based on their most accurate load a subtracting a bit for the shorter bbl length) and you are supersonic past 800 yards, though energy is very low at that point:
upload_2017-3-12_19-55-5.png

I've fired some thousands of rounds at ranges out to 600 yards with an AR15 using iron sights. The .223/5.56 is very accurate at that distance and further as long as adequate bullets are used and they are kept at supersonic velocity until after target range is reached.

800 yards is pretty much the reasonable maximum effective range for .223; shooters can and do hit targets at 1,000 but you're really running up against the case capacity.

I'm working on setting up an AR15 specifically for long range; looking for a 20" flat top upper with a 1-8" or 1-7" to handle 77 grain bullets (ilo the usual 80 grain so I load magazine length). The intent is a rifle I can use for mid-range F-Class, varmint hunting and practical unknown distance shooting.

your 18" barrel will be fine if you are running a 1/7 twist rate as mentioned above. try black hills 77gr or MK262 mod0/1 ammo if you can find it. but you will definitely need to run a heavier bullet.

If I were you, I'd get a 24" bull barrel with at least a 1:8 twist. This combo will allow you to shoot the heavies (77-80gr) with the max velocity. You can use shorter barrels as well, but when you're playing the long range game, velocity is good.

77 is about as heavy as you'll go with a magazine fed platform, but if you want to single feed by hand, you can use the 80gr pills.

The faster you push them, the farther they'll stay stable. They're still going to be pushed all over the place even in a modest cross wind at that distance.

Find a calm time to shoot and it should provide you with a lot of fun!

I've been interested in finding a place like that for quite some time.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Looks like I need to get out there and try it out. The cool thing about this place is that there is a 80-100ft ridge that surrounds the spot and acts as a back stop. Almost like an old dry lake bed. Plus the only people that have access to this spot are the few that have property backing it. Otherwise you would have to hike in over 4 miles through the forest. There is not a lot of traffic out here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top