JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone know what velocity is needed for a 212g Hornady ELD-X to expand correctly and be lethal on an elk?
Hornady doesnt advertise a minimum terminal velocity but some brands that Im aware of average a minimum of 1800fps impact velocity to assure expansion. IMO 2000fps is a safer bet without knowing.
edit: I see you made a separate post so I answered there too.

Hornady doesnt advertise a minimum terminal velocity but some brands that Im aware of average a minimum of 1800fps impact velocity to assure expansion. IMO 2000fps is a safer bet without knowing.
edit: I see you made a separate post so I answered there too.
Ya, I made that other post but wanted to ask here as well. I like the group that's been helping in this chat

A quick search on the interwebs suggest that anywhere between 1200 and 2000ft/lbs is the recommended terminal energy for elk. Given that 1000 is generally recommended for deer, I would guess 1500+ft/lbs. would give a decent margin.

A 212gr bullet will need to be traveling at about 1800fps (I understand from the other thread someone posted that the ELD-X should expand reliably down to around 1600, so 1800 is good) to hit that number on impact.

Terminal ballistics can't really be predicted after a certain point as the bits that make up a body and how a projectile interacts with them after impact are complex. Do you have an accurate measurement of your muzzle velocity? I can give a rough idea of a range for you to hit 1500ft/lbs...

A quick search on the interwebs suggest that anywhere between 1200 and 2000ft/lbs is the recommended terminal energy for elk. Given that 1000 is generally recommended for deer, I would guess 1500+ft/lbs. would give a decent margin.

A 212gr bullet will need to be traveling at about 1800fps (I understand from the other thread someone posted that the ELD-X should expand reliably down to around 1600, so 1800 is good) to hit that number on impact.

Terminal ballistics can't really be predicted after a certain point as the bits that make up a body and how a projectile interacts with them after impact are complex. Do you have an accurate measurement of your muzzle velocity? I can give a rough idea of a range for you to hit 1500ft/lbs...

Attachments

• 24F609F0-B430-415C-BFA7-E9F6AEF6B1BA.png
    24F609F0-B430-415C-BFA7-E9F6AEF6B1BA.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 45
My chronograph read muzzle velocity at 2875 but after getting everything dialed in I came up with 2700 and that is what my hornady book suggested I would be. The good news is I hit a grapefruit at 1100 yards and a Copenhagen can at 629. I shot a variety of ranges with this info and was on the money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top