JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like Leuphold best, but NightForce is pretty impressive. I also got a great deal on a high end Bushnell scope that has worked out really well. Someone mentioned fixed power scopes. If you're going to be shooting only at 100 to 300 yards, a fixed power scope will work surprisingly well. They can be amazingly clear - so clear that you may find 10X to be plenty of magnification.

And to go with what you state about fixed power clarity, is one of the big reasons I keep the total magnification down to a max of 15X
really helps keep you tracking at ranges you wouldn't expect to even see clearly, and yet you can see surprisingly well!

I have found great deals on E-bay for used and new Leupolds. Because of
Leupolds warranty service used scopes are an option to think about. Numeric numbered VX
series (VX-3) are a newer generation better glass than the older Roman Numeral (VX-III).
I like the VX-3 with 1/4 MOA adjustments. I hate that mill rad crap.:D I'm cheap I need
to buy some better glass for a couple rifles. Love to have a Nightforce but the price is
about 4 times what I want to pay.:confused::confused: Many different brands of scopes have excellent
glass on there high end models. I would not limit my search of Leupold only. You can get
lucky I have a friend found 50% off on a high end scope at the bargain cave at Cabela's
in Tualitin.

+1 for Leupold

But then I haven't tried VV.... I'll have to give it a go at some point.

The main thing I see in difference is when it heats up. The cheap glass goes blurry but Leupold just changes color a little and stays clear.

When it's cold I don't notice much of a difference but then my vision gets crappier every day. Visits to the optometrist is becoming a yearly occurrence.

I just wish I'd got mildot for my primary long range rifle. :/ Instead I went fine reticle. Now I have reticle envy.

For the ranges you are planning to shoot a parallax adjustment is absolutely imperative!
I am suspicious of a cheaper optic of any brand.
I absolutely will not even consider buying an optic that I can not look through under natural light (not florescent light in a store). Some optics companies use coatings on their lenses that make them appear brighter under florescent light. I will not purchase optics without testing them thoroughly, this rules out internet shopping for me personally.
Nobody can tell YOU what optic is best for YOUR eyes, they can't see through them.

The other thing that has not been mentioned...bases and rings.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen folks spend zillions on a scope, but then mount it onto cheap made bases and rings...ugh!

Contrary to popular belief, mounting is not plug n play. One must be detail oriented to make sure of two things...the scope is solid, and the reticle is aligned and not skewed.
Solid mounts and rings are a must. I think that goes without saying. Maybe some here may not know that, but I'm thinking most here do. Also, just so you know, a good solid mount doesn't have to be expensive. Just sayin..

Hi OP, for shooting at targets from 25 yards out to the infinite cosmos you can not do any better than a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 with a 30mm tube, side focus, and some type of hold over reticle. My personal favorite is the new LRP model with the 32 MOA hold over reticle (impact 32).

I absolutely love my Vortex HS LR with the XLT MOA reticle. I've shot out to 1400 with it.

Vortex Optics - Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP XLR (MOA)

ret_vhs-lr_f_6-24x50_xlr_moa-t.jpg

Another thing to think about is bases and overall travel of a scope.

IE with a 20moa base on my 308 I'd still bottom out and have to hold over using 168s at 1000+

A 30 or 40 minute base would have helped.

I'm thinking of laying waste to some ammo next Sunday if you want to try and get together?

I have a vortex on my Tikka and love it. I have a leupold on one of my AR's. Yesterday at the range I noticed more than ever how much better and clearer the glass was on the leupold. I am hating this aging process. I had the hardest time getting my Vortex to focus yesterday and the leupold was crystal clear.

Is the eye piece focus on the Vortex adjusted properly? I have just started having vision issues as well. First 44 years of my life, my eyes never let me down. Now I am 47 and wearing reading glasses a lot. I recently noticed one of my scopes was giving me problems and realized that refocussing the eye piece so the reticle was in focus again made a big difference.

Also are you comparing these two scopes at like magnification? For example, 14x on both scopes?

And........
If you want/need more adjustment for elevation then your scope has internally, there is Cold Shot scope bases! They add about 1/4 inch to the hight of your scope above it's bore, but the adjustments can take really add to your long range reach! They make them for most common rifles! For Tikka, you simply order a short action SAKO TRG mount!:)

IE with a 20moa base on my 308 I'd still bottom out and have to hold over using 168s at 1000+

I'm thinking of laying waste to some ammo next Sunday if you want to try and get together?
I'll be around Sunday, would like to join in.

I've have 20moa bases on two of my rifles.
On Adjustment:
My Mark 4 will do 100 MOA adjustment on the crosshairs
The VX7L will do 90 adjustment
The SWFA does 120
The Primary Arms does 35​
Both Leupolds are on "reach out and touch someone" calibers, and IIRC, I have never had to adjust more than 35MOA up.

I absolutely love my Vortex HS LR with the XLT MOA reticle. I've shot out to 1400 with it.

Vortex Optics - Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP XLR (MOA)

View attachment 521661

Another thing to think about is bases and overall travel of a scope.

Let me see what is going on. If I am free I would love to join you guys.

Is the eye piece focus on the Vortex adjusted properly? I have just started having vision issues as well. First 44 years of my life, my eyes never let me down. Now I am 47 and wearing reading glasses a lot. I recently noticed one of my scopes was giving me problems and realized that refocussing the eye piece so the reticle was in focus again made a big difference.

Also are you comparing these two scopes at like magnification? For example, 14x on both scopes?

I was messing with the eye focus and everything. It could have been just a bad day. I guess we will see next go around.

I have poor eye sight even with glasses, and I have issues looking through scopes.

My current scope on my hunting rifle is a vortex 2.5x10 and I was having a really tough time even seeing clearly at 100 yards, I'm not sire if there's something up with it, but woth how bad my eyes are I can't tell if it's me or the scope.
I'll have to have someone else look through it.
I want to get into shooting longer distances but not sure if my eyes are up to it.

Can you use a spotting scope on a rifle?

I was messing with the eye focus and everything. It could have been just a bad day. I guess we will see next go around.

The best way I know of to set the eyepiece focus is to point at a white wall. The scope doesn't have to be in focus but this allows you to get the reticle focussed for your eye. Set it and leave it. Then just adjust parallax the next time you are at the range.

300 yard is not long distance, we hit 550 yard targets standing up. (30-06) too.
We dont use any of those ulta costly scopes, I bet they dont even have mil dot reticle.

So I have to figure yo are using Kentucky windage, which is what we called in sniper school LUCK.
When killing human, you can not depend on luck.

We use a ex Navy contract scope (used by Seals) and sold darn cheap by your scope price.
A SSFA SS 10x40 h mil dot reticle, sunshade, flip ups, TPS mounts, and kill flash for about $550 bucks, less on sale.

I'd like to share with you a short story which happened to us at the range.
We were shooting zeroing at the 200 yard range, and a guy was at the other end of the range just banging away.

Being nosy, I went down to ask him what he was shooting at, my favorite tomato paste cans, BIC lights, I did not know.

While chatting with the gent we found he was trying to hit a 6 inch circle target at 550 yards.
I asked him how many shots he had taken. He told me 71. I said wow.

Went down brought me odd six up to him. gave him ONE round. Told him to hold the third mildot dead center of his target. Bang, hit, dead center (well about an inch and some to the right. He must a jerked the 2.5lb trigger.

He was so pissed at his 7mm mag and $4400 Leopold scope. He offered to buy my rifle right there. I told him how much, decided to buy the same scope I had instead.

If all you want is 300 yards the 6x power should do just fine. The 10 is a tad big under 100 yards

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top