JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I struggled with glass also, I ended up going with a NF atacr and am content with my decision. The 7x35 works for me as it serves well to shoot at a lower power and use the upper end for spotting.

Other than the last post, I haven't seen much comment on Zeiss. I have all of these: Leupold, Burris and Zeiss in the same cost range... and the Zeiss is by far easier for me to focus and see cross hairs and target. I have not shot the real high end glass suchas NF, S&B, Swaro, Kales, Leica and the such, but I know that Zeiss is great for my uses. Someday maybe I will go super-highend, but for now I am trying to decide on a $1000 - $1500 scope, and I am pretty sure the Zeiss will be it...

@SKrueger lets meet ftf and you can try my Burris f class scope. It's amazing. And I think just what you need. I compared to NF, and Vortex and it's very competitive.

The guys I know that work for leupold, shoot leupold or NF. They don't love Vortex but a lot of other guys do. There is a 60x Vortex Golden Eagle that is pretty nice but seems a little on the edge at full power.

You're talking target/benchrest right not "precision rifle" ?

For PR it's a different concern. There for money I go Schmidt and Bender police scopes. Very clear and more bucks than I have.

I am off highway 30, 30 minutes south of Longview. Come by.

BTW when I was shopping last I politely asked the guy st the vounter to grab all the scopes I wanted to look at and we went just out the front door and looked through them all outside. Made ALL the difference and you could see how leupold was just amazing glass.

I bought the Leupold scope at the last Trash no Land cleanup silent auction. It became my father in laws birthday gift and we put it on his single shot .223 break action. Shot it for the first time this past weekend, clearest glass I've ever looked through.

I know but at longer distance how sweet would that be.

I don't care how good the glass is, at 55 power that thing is going to virtually useless as teats on a bull. Don't get fooled by over-powered glass. And for the calibers you shoot, 55x is OVERKILL!

And for the calibers you shoot, 55x is OVERKILL!
Are you sure about that?
look_through_thick_glasses-vi.jpg

I don't care how good the glass is, at 55 power that thing is going to virtually useless as teats on a bull. Don't get fooled by over-powered glass. And for the calibers you shoot, 55x is OVERKILL!
Not for benchrest it's not. Target shooting it's not. Move and shoot? Really poor choice. No tool is overpowered for the job it was intended for

Blah, what do I know anyway.
Maybe a lot but I shoot benchrest every week over summer and have used different scopes on the same rifle and from 25x to 40x my score went up 20 points. Or 10%. That's huge At 600 groups went from 7" to 6" which is barely competitive in my class.

I also shot with 50 others many of them compete all over the west and all of the top half use 40x+. The winner last year used the vortex golden eagle 60x

I have a friend that shoots the tactical circuit, though at farther ranges than I shoot benchrest, and uses a Schmidt and bender police 25x about (24x?) but never sets it above 14 he claims. Tactical is a totally different sport.

If you want to hit steel and acquire a target fast and hit the first shot, that's one thing. Wanting to shoot for group size is different.

Different tools for different applications and I'm sure you know a lot.

Obviously.

But since I'm in the only long range benchrest group I know of locally and since I don't see you there, I think you have different experience than I do.

FWIW the current 1000 yard F Class champ Derek Rogers uses nightforce NSX. I believe in 8-32x56. His home range is New Mexico so he fights mirage 10 months of the year that is pretty severe

Ed Kenzakoski, 2017 IBS 1000 yard champ uses nightforce 8-42 benchrest.

Last Edited:
Found the equipment list for 2016 IBS nationals. This is the top 10 shooter.

I forgot to mention sightron in the good scopes list. Their turrets are not as durable as others it was explained to me. Good value though and good glass

Also note that half the shooters use Berger bullets.

B8A4FAAE-1B90-4D02-9975-8AAE38FBE13F.png

All were 6mmBR or 6mm Dasher.

All the Actions were BAT or Panda. All the rifles were custom.

All my years doing it tactical for reals, never had or needed any thing more then 18x, and my main optic N.F. went to 15x! Unbeatable low light and speed was the name of the game, and with lots of internal adjustment, rarely touched the turret!:) The Leupy MK-4 was almost as good and only a few nickles cheaper!
The Schmidt's were no better at the time, harder to get and heavier, so those were used sparingly on the big boomers mostly!

Found the equipment list for 2016 IBS nationals. This is the top 10 shooter.

I forgot to mention sightron in the good scopes list. Their turrets are not as durable as others it was explained to me. Good value though and good glass

Also note that half the shooters use Berger bullets.

View attachment 522486

All were 6mmBR or 6mm Dasher.

All the Actions were BAT or Panda. All the rifles were custom.

Fair enough. For that type of shooting.

For distances at "300+ yards" I think maximum magnification is just going to hinder light transmission and magnify shaking. I didn't see where the OP was asking about precision shooting with a custom action rifle at extreme distance.

Fair enough. For that type of shooting.

For distances at "300+ yards" I think maximum magnification is just going to hinder light transmission and magnify shaking. I didn't see where the OP was asking about precision shooting with a custom action rifle at extreme distance.
If I were to guess, and knowing the O.P. and the Rifle he is referring to, I would say a tactical optic is what he is thinking, but keeping his options open!
Honesty @SKrueger, I like the set up you currently have, but if your having issues with the scope, then I would look at the Leupy MK-4 and go from there! You can try my ART-X M-1200 and see if you like it any better, but maybe have a look at others and decide from there!:cool:

I like shooting. I want to get better at long distance and precision. I am going to start reloading for just that reason and the fact that I can load cheaper than match grade ammo. My concern isn't with magnification its with clarity. I want some really nice glass some day and I know I will have to pay for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top