JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just what the title says. For those of you who shoot long distance (300+ yards) what glass do you have on your rifle and why.

I have a vortex on my Tikka and love it. I have a leupold on one of my AR's. Yesterday at the range I noticed more than ever how much better and clearer the glass was on the leupold. I am hating this aging process. I had the hardest time getting my Vortex to focus yesterday and the leupold was crystal clear.

Tell me what you guys have. I might be upgrading some glass in the near future.

If I were in the market for a new scope right now, I'd take a close look at Tract Optics. They're a newer, direct-to-consumer company, so it's tough getting your hands on their gear in advance to look at. However, the reviews have been very good. Common to all reviews I've seen are a generous quality-to-price ratio. Just do an internet search on reviews for them.

Does shooting at steel count or just paper targets?

Cause I don't spend on glass like I used to. My most expensive optic is just some PO on my arsenal... And my .30-06 is sporting a cheap scope.

Following up with a reference to Tract scopes. Take a look at the article by John Barsness called "Testing Riflescopes" over on 24HourCampfire.

The article is not specifically about Tract, but look at the comment Barsness makes in the second-to-last paragraph. This caught my eye.

Again, I haven't actually handled one of these scopes. Like Cerberus Group, I also much appreciate high-quality glass (2 of my 3 hunting rifles have Swarovski scopes). But it would be nice to get it for less money, if possible.

I hope any members here who have tried the Tract scopes or binoculars speak up.

One will pay for quality glass...and I do mean the glass itself. Clarity and light gathering, once you use a scope with that...hard to go back.

So what would you recommend? I know that Leupold, Nightforce are two of the top on my list. Hard thing is it changes in the field versus looking in the store.

I hear you there. But a guy can save and buy one over time. I also know a guy that says he can get me 50% off but not holding my breath.

have you tried sportoptics.com ? they got some good deals usually like all the time...lol

true but im the type that if i do save up and in the mean time see something else i like i'll buy it instead. then, usually have the perfect amount of cash left for a nice vortex and some warne rings :D

have you tried sportoptics.com ? they got some good deals usually like all the time...lol

true but im the type that if i do save up and in the mean time see something else i like i'll buy it instead. then, usually have the perfect amount of cash left for a nice vortex and some warne rings :D

HAHA that sounds like me! :D Yesterday was an eye opener for me. It was really bugging me that I couldn't get my scope to focus like I am used to. Then switched to my AR and I was like holy cow that is clear. :confused:

I'm cheap, but like to use what has proven itself to me. By this, I mean, I don't run garbage just to get by. I use a SWFA SS 16x on my 6.5 creedmoor. It tracks flawlessly. Have managed 3" (10 shot) groups on steel at 440 yards with this set-up:
09E03O4.jpg

The nice thing about this scope, is, I trust its tracking. After a 400+ yard range session, I went to our club and shot some 100 yard targets. This is the first 10 shot group I shot after dialing back down to zero:
6rgZE0B.jpg
My only complaint with the 16x SS scope is the focus/parallax setting is picky. Glass seems to be great, as long as the parallax is adjusted perfectly.

On my AR10T, I want a little more versatility and chose an AR specific scope. I went with the Burris AR762 4.5-14X42 and couldn't be more happy with it. I like the glass and reticle. So it's staying on there. I've managed 2.5" (5 shot) groups at 400 yards with this rifle/set-up. Tracking and custom dial seem to work as intended:
ddIddPy.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm cheap, but like to use what has proven itself to me. By this, I mean, I don't run garbage just to get by. I use a SWFA SS 16x on my 6.5 creedmoor. It tracks flawlessly. Have managed 3" (10 shot) groups on steel at 440 yards with this set-up:
View attachment 521510

The nice thing about this scope, is, I trust its tracking. After a 400+ yard range session, I went to our club and shot some 100 yard targets. This is the first group I shot after dialing back down to zero:
View attachment 521511
My only complaint with the 16x SS scope is the focus/parallax setting is picky. Glass seems to be great, as long as the parallax is adjusted perfectly.

On my AR10T, I want a little more versatility and chose an AR specific scope. I went with the Burris AR762 4.5-14X42 and couldn't be more happy with it. I like the glass and reticle. So it's staying on there. I've managed 2.5" (5 shot) groups at 400 yards with this rifle/set-up. Tracking and custom dial seem to work as intended:
View attachment 521512

Those Savages sure do shoot!

Yes and I did notice the mirage but that was not it. It started the minute we got to the range. I think its just my eye's:(
mine get a little fuzzy if i dont have caffeine. my eye doc said its normal if you drink caffeine to be a little fuzzy since im used to having coffee everyday. something to do with the pressure behind my eyes when i have coffee vs not having coffee.

SKrueger, I didn't directly answer your question of which scope I'd recommend and why. Here's that. FYI, I'm getting older also and particularly notice my low-light vision is degrading, which has upped my attraction to high-quality glass.

I love the Swarovski scopes because they're outstanding in clarity and low-light performance. The two models I like most for hunting are the Z3 and Z5, as both can be had for under 1 pound (some of the lightest scopes out there for the task). I like the 44 or 50mm objective sizes, again for light. The Z3 does not have parallax adjustment (set at 100), so if you're spending a lot of time at 300+ yards, I'd be biased toward the Z5. But obviously, the Swarovski scopes are brutally expensive ($1000-$1300 retail for these models).

I also like the Leupold VX-3i for hunting. The particular one I'd choose is the 4.5-14x50 with the side parallax knob and 30mm tube, which weighs just about a pound and can be purchased retail for about $650. Their higher-end scopes creep up to 20 ounces and over, so I like this particular model, as it balances things well on a hunting rifle.

They aren't making it anymore, but if parallax adjustment was not important to you, the Zeiss Terra scopes were a great package weighing under a pound and retailing for around $400.

The reason I previously commented on Tract scopes was that they might be able to offer similar quality to these types of scopes, but for a better price. Jury still out. And the Tract scopes are heavier than I prefer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top