JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what would you recommend? I know that Leupold, Nightforce are two of the top on my list. Hard thing is it changes in the field versus looking in the store.

I went through sniper school in the LE world back in 1992, when there was only a handful of scopes on the market. My scope of choice back then was a Leupold 6-18. Compared to other scopes of the day, nothing much came close. Since then I've always looked at the quality of the glass itself.

I've worn glasses most all my life, and won't settle for subpar lenses. As with aging, seems the glasses wear out faster these days Lol. I've stuck with quality glass and won't go back.

I know I may sound like a snob, but once you've had good glass to look through, hard to settle for something less...and there's a lot of scope makers now I wouldn't touch.

Given that, Leupold and Swarovski are always at the top of my list...I also like Nightforce.

There is nice glass with some of the other makers, but I feel one needs to look at their top end lines to get something good.

Following up with a reference to Tract scopes. Take a look at the article by John Barsness called "Testing Riflescopes" over on 24HourCampfire.

The article is not specifically about Tract, but look at the comment Barsness makes in the second-to-last paragraph. This caught my eye.

Again, I haven't actually handled one of these scopes. Like Cerberus Group, I also much appreciate high-quality glass (2 of my 3 hunting rifles have Swarovski scopes). But it would be nice to get it for less money, if possible.

I hope any members here who have tried the Tract scopes or binoculars speak up.

I like John. He's usually a very straight shooter. As for Tract, check out this review Formid did on a Tract rifle scope. It's pretty informative, from a guy that really knows his chit when it comes to rifles, scopes and shooting. He's also as honest as they come. For those of you that feel like reading through a real world review. Here it is:

Tract Response Range Tracking/RTZ/zero retention results

Last Edited:
Swaro, Leupy, and Burris are my recommends for a LR scope meant for a rifle meant to be carried in the field. NightForce and others are great for a benched rifle but are quite heavy.

I like John. He's usually a very straight shooter. As for Tract, check out this review Formid did on a Tract rifle scope. It's pretty informative results from a guy that really knows his chit when it comes to rifles and scopes. He's also as honest as they come. For those of you that feel like reading through a real world review. Here it is:

Tract Response Range Tracking/RTZ/zero retention results

Great review thanks for sharing.

It's not just the glass, there are some things you can do for the aging.
  1. Bring eye drops. While shooting, your eyes get dry. Mine get this film and no matter what glass I'm looking through, I cannot focus properly. Take a few drops, rest a moment, look again, et voila! - clear vision again.
  2. Keep track of your diet, as I'm convinced this has an effect. There were a few years where my night vision was absolutely zero. My GF of the time would chide me because I would drive at the speed limit or a little slower - because I could NOT see past my headlights. Since then I've changed my diet: less carbs, a lot less sugar (well, excluding beer), and now I can see pretty well at night. Too much sugar and my eyes get really dry.
On Glass:
I have four LR rifles. They sport the following and I list them in order of quality, light gathering and clarity:
  • Leupold VX7L 55mm
  • Leupold Mark IV 50mm
  • SWFA 44mm
  • Primary Arms ACS 44mm
While the Leupolds are too close to call, the differences between the four really stand out past 500 and in low light. As far as mirage (oasis), all are affected but the image clarity makes a world of difference.
While I seldom use any scope above 9x, major differences stand out at maximum magnification between the Leupolds and the other two.
All were purchased used, and combined cost into the four is ~$2K.

I have a Sig Tango 6 1-6x24 FFP on QD that you are welcome to try. It has astou nding clarity in all light and magnification settings. I consider it a viable 1000 yard scope.
PM me if you're interested, I can bring it up and we can talk reloading.
I don't use it much because it's heavy on my ARs.

Last Edited:
It's not just the glass, there are some things you can do for the aging.
  1. Bring eye drops. While shooting, your eyes get dry. Mine get this film and no matter what glass I'm looking through, I cannot focus properly. Take a few drops, rest a moment, look again, et voila! - clear vision again.
  2. Keep track of your diet, as I'm convinced this has an effect. There were a few years where my night vision was absolutely zero. My GF of the time would chide me because I would drive at the speed limit or a little slower - because I could NOT see past my headlights. Since then I've changed my diet: less carbs, a lot less sugar (well, excluding beer), and now I can see pretty well at night. Too much sugar and my eyes get really dry.
On Glass:
I have four LR rifles. They sport the following and I list them in order of quality, light gathering and clarity:
  • Leupold VX7L 55mm
  • Leupold Mark IV 50mm
  • SWFA 44mm
  • Primary Arms ACS 44mm
While the Leupolds are too close to call, the differences between the four really stand out past 500 and in low light. As far as mirage (oasis), all are affected but the image clarity makes a world of difference.
While I seldom use any scope above 9x, major differences stand out at maximum magnification between the Leupolds and the other two.
All were purchased used, and combined cost into the four is ~$2K.

I have a Sig Tango 6 1-6x24 FFP on QD that you are welcome to try. It has astou nding clarity in all light and magnification settings. I consider it a viable 1000 yard scope.
PM me if you're interested, I can bring it up and we can talk reloading.

Thanks!! Love the eye drop idea and never thought about the sugar thing. Being Thanksgiving weekend I did eat a lot more sugar than normal. As for the loading I will let you know when I get my stuff set up.

Short and simple, my optic preference for 300+ yard shooting, depending on the rifle and specific application, older steel tube Weavers (I especially like the vintage T-series), Leupold and J. Unertl.

Also, I generally prefer field of view over magnification and choose fixed power over variable power; somewhere between 6x and 12x unless there is a reason for more, picking out sage rats at 500 yards for example.

mine get a little fuzzy if i dont have caffeine. my eye doc said its normal if you drink caffeine to be a little fuzzy since im used to having coffee everyday. something to do with the pressure behind my eyes when i have coffee vs not having coffee.

When I drink enough coffee to see clear, my hands shake to bad to shoot straight. If I spike my coffee with enough whiskey to to to not shake, I see double.

This is why God gave us tracers and binary triggers on the 7th day.

The other thing that has not been mentioned...bases and rings.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen folks spend zillions on a scope, but then mount it onto cheap made bases and rings...ugh!

Contrary to popular belief, mounting is not plug n play. One must be detail oriented to make sure of two things...the scope is solid, and the reticle is aligned and not skewed.

The other thing that has not been mentioned...bases and rings.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen folks spend zillions on a scope, but then mount it onto cheap made bases and rings...ugh!

Contrary to popular belief, mounting is not plug n play. One must be detail oriented to make sure of two things...the scope is solid, and the reticle is aligned and not skewed.

Exactly right. I would personally put a little less into a rifle and ensure the base and rings are high quality. I stick with a one-piece base in almost all applications. Either Leupold or Redfield preferably, though there are other excellent brands out there now.

With out going way off on different aspects of good glass, I will say this, after a long carrier carrying a rifle for a living, two things stand out to me, QUALITY of the glass, and Absolute reliable adjustments! Good mounts and rings are a given! I have used all the name brands of high end optics and for most of my own use, comes down to three brands! Night Force, Schmidt and Bender, and Leatherwood!
Depending on the needs/uses I am less a Schmidt guy and more the other two! For the Semi auto, nothing and I mean NOTHING beats the Leatherwood, Hands down the fastest and most consistent scope for my needs! For bolties, cannot beat a Night Force with a mid range magnification and second focal plane! I really like the NXS Light Seeker series in a 3.5X15X50 range, it has the best combo of magnification and fast elevation changes for quick range adjustments and quick return to the set zero!
For a little less, and subsequent drop in quality, the Leupold MK-4 series can do well ( it they agree with your eyes) and they seem to hold up well, but don't ever bang one up, it will never track again! At least they are a local company and will fix or replace it for you!
I'm really sad that Red Field went the way of the DoDo, and are now just a cheap leupy, back in the 80's and 90's, Red Field were the top of the pile in quality at a reasonable price, and the quality was every bit the equal of the high end Euro glass, I have a 6X18X50 I would put side by side with a Swaro or Zeiss, its that good!

Knowing you @SKrueger, I would save yer pennies and get the Night Force and Hate on me later for spending yer cash!
You and Joe did get to look through that Night Force I brought last time, and this time you can have a look through a Leatherwood, not that it will help, I don't recommend those to folks until they really know the long range game ( too many complications) and they can be frustrating if you don't fully understand whats going on with them!
212306.jpg
4691078_03_nightforce_nxs_3_5_15x56_zeros_640.jpg

I like Leuphold best, but NightForce is pretty impressive. I also got a great deal on a high end Bushnell scope that has worked out really well. Someone mentioned fixed power scopes. If you're going to be shooting only at 100 to 300 yards, a fixed power scope will work surprisingly well. They can be amazingly clear - so clear that you may find 10X to be plenty of magnification.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top