JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've ordered a Ruger Scout Rifle in .450 Bushmaster, and am just waiting for it to process through. Even though I stick to iron sights on nearly everything, I am going to scope this one. As such I've begun the research and thought I'd ask the friends here what they recommend.

Parameters would be:

• As light weight as possible. (I'm trying to keep it trim, but will be adding a sling and a silencer, so every bit helps.)
  • Fitting for this rifle. (This type of setup the scope mounts forward of the action.)
  • Quality glass. (I've learned you really get what you pay for with optics, so not going to bother will El Cheapo.)
  • Does not require a power source. (While admittedly at least somewhat irrational, this is not something I'd wish in a sighting system.)
  • Heavily leaning towards something Leupold, but not wedded to that make.
Recommendations? Thanks!

IIRC Coopers intended optics for scout optics were low power handgun types, or similar.

Makes sense too, given the (unmodified) eye relief, as well as the point of the scout type rifles. Quick acquisition.

I use a Burris 2x7 pistol scope.

Many of the so called Scout rifle scopes do not have enough eye relief such that the ocular lens sits forward of the action. You must get that eye relief or you lose one of the benefits of the setup - the ability to not have the scope interfere with loading with a stripper clip and for the ejected brass to not strike the scope.

I use a Burris 2x7 pistol scope.

Many of the so called Scout rifle scopes do not have enough eye relief such that the ocular lens sits forward of the action. You must get that eye relief or you lose one of the benefits of the setup - the ability to not have the scope interfere with loading with a stripper clip and for the ejected brass to not strike the scope.
That's the one I use. With Velzey's trigger work and free float, it now puts handloads <1".

Honestly, I'd stick with irons though. When I had my Ruger scout, it was way more enjoyable shooting it with the front sight and rear XS sights peep sight than with the scope I had on it.

That being said, I do recommend the XS rail. Mount a traditional scope or scout, or irons.

1589596367957.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top