JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First some details.

Truck Gun : Winchester model 1894 Trapper 16.25" barrel 6rd magazine. Open Iron sights, 30-30 caliber, WHY this rifle and caliber is not germane to this discussion it is what it is.

The idea is to have a long gun for defense and in the case of a Natural or man made event to provide defense to get home etc.

SO what kind of a load would you guys suggest to carry. My thoughts are towards the Sierra 125gr FPHP 32.5grs H322 moving 2500fps Its the books listed accurate hunting load.

I will most likely carry 40 rounds with me.

Anyone got anything better?

It was really windy when I was shooting this at 55 yards. Wind blurring my vision but still managed to find paper. It is 29 gr 3031 under a 170 gr Nosler round nose. Load data is on the plate if you can read it.

3030 05042020.jpg

I read an article that with these newer 30-30 rounds like the Leverlution ammo. It can be impossible to zero the 94 with iron sights.
Not a problem though for scoped rifles.

I would worry about the same with light fast loads.
The rear sight only goes so low?

Any expanding bullet you have is fine. All I use is Leverlution powder. Hodgdon loading data. A 170gr bullet packs a wallop down range. Disassembled my gong stand 100yds away last weekend with my 336.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top