JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First some details.

Truck Gun : Winchester model 1894 Trapper 16.25" barrel 6rd magazine. Open Iron sights, 30-30 caliber, WHY this rifle and caliber is not germane to this discussion it is what it is.

The idea is to have a long gun for defense and in the case of a Natural or man made event to provide defense to get home etc.

SO what kind of a load would you guys suggest to carry. My thoughts are towards the Sierra 125gr FPHP 32.5grs H322 moving 2500fps Its the books listed accurate hunting load.

I will most likely carry 40 rounds with me.

Anyone got anything better?

It was really windy when I was shooting this at 55 yards. Wind blurring my vision but still managed to find paper. It is 29 gr 3031 under a 170 gr Nosler round nose. Load data is on the plate if you can read it.

3030 05042020.jpg

I read an article that with these newer 30-30 rounds like the Leverlution ammo. It can be impossible to zero the 94 with iron sights.
Not a problem though for scoped rifles.

I would worry about the same with light fast loads.
The rear sight only goes so low?

Any expanding bullet you have is fine. All I use is Leverlution powder. Hodgdon loading data. A 170gr bullet packs a wallop down range. Disassembled my gong stand 100yds away last weekend with my 336.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top