JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The advantage of loading through the muzzle is that it avoids working the brass. The Alexander Arms Brass I have is rumored to split after a few reloads. The less I work the brass the more reloads I should be able to get out of it.
Can you not just anneal the brass after each firing?

I thought about making a sizer pipe out of a piece of 1/2 iron pipe nipple and a floor flange to hold the nipple. I could open the starter end of the nipple up to allow for 54cal and maybe even 58cal round ball to fit in. Then pound it through the nipple using a 1/2 bolt as a push rod. By the time the roundball came out the other end of the nipple it should be 1/2 inch. That would create a more elongated ball that had more bearing surface.
I doubt the inner diameter of the pipe nipple is precise enough to serve as a swage.

Why wouldn't you just get a bullet mold of the proper size and cast the bullet you want?

That 1/2 bolt is going to leave a flat spot on your bullet.

Be sure you have your affairs in order before testing.

This is not that unusual, Even for the OP.
There are a group of target shooters that do this in the interest of eliminating every last inconsistency.
But they don't load from the muzzle. They use a plugged case. They put a wooden plug into a case to push the bullet in from the breech. Most have some type of adjustment to give exact placement of the bullet into the throat. and use the bolt to seat the bullet.
Then a charged case is placed into the chamber. To keep from spilling the charge they cap the case with florist foam.
This is usually done with a lubed lead bullet over a moderate load of smokeless powder.
If done properly, it makes bench rest quality loads. DR

This is not that unusual, Even for the OP.
There are a group of target shooters that do this in the interest of eliminating every last inconsistency.
But they don't load from the muzzle. They use a plugged case. They put a wooden plug into a case to push the bullet in from the breech. Most have some type of adjustment to give exact placement of the bullet into the throat. and use the bolt to seat the bullet.
Then a charged case is placed into the chamber. To keep from spilling the charge they cap the case with florist foam.
This is usually done with a lubed lead bullet over a moderate load of smokeless powder.
If done properly, it makes bench rest quality loads. DR
Does this style of loading have a name?

When I tried loading the sample roundball from the muzzle, it got stuffed into the empty case. Putting a piece of dowel rod in the empty case would prevent that from occurring again. Thanks for the tips.

Does this style of loading have a name?

When I tried loading the sample roundball from the muzzle, it got stuffed into the empty case. Putting a piece of dowel rod in the empty case would prevent that from occurring again. Thanks for the tips.
Where I have seen it was in Schuetzen matches put on by the American Single Shot Rifle Association.
If you do a search for the ASSRA you will find their web space and details there on how its done.
If you geek out on little details they are your kind of people! Good Luck DR

Where I have seen it was in Schuetzen matches put on by the American Single Shot Rifle Association.
If you do a search for the ASSRA you will find their web space and details there on how its done.
If you geek out on little details they are your kind of people! Good Luck DR
Those guys make small groups. Schuetzen was once a staple of rifle competition here in America. Bench rest standing up.

I ran a sabot with 300gr FTX bullet today (loaded from muzzle), 13 grains of Unique. I also ran a 230gr 45 projectile using a 410 wad as sabot, same charge of 13 grains of Unique. So far everything has left the barrel and all fingers are intact.

Define smokeless powder type… rifle powder would -Probably Not- catastrophically disassemble your rifle, but pistol/shotgun powder will. Now consider that a patched round ball seated tightly against the powder charge is going to be moving very very fast, down a rifled barrel twisted to stabilize a much different shaped bullet. Most BP guns optimized for round ball have a 1:64-1:48" twist. I assuredly guarantee that your rifle twist is somewhere in the 1:8-1:12" range. This will cause two things… one, the patch will instantly disintegrate and the bare lead ball will lead up your rifling like nothing you have ever seen, to the point the first 6" of the barrel will be smooth, filled with lead, and two, the ball will be traveling at such a high speed and rotation, that it will certainly not hit your point of aim. Now you are frustrated, pissed off, and have a hell of a cleanup to do. Now let's assume you use black powder, more wisely instead, filled right up to the card… the velocity will be lower, the patch will stay intact, the barrel might not get leaded, but your accuracy is still crap. Please make a video. I want to hear you cuss. And assuming you get said patched round ball down your barrel, you will most certainly have destroyed your crown with the cleaning rod you used to pound it down. Just buy a BP rifle. They are not expensive.

Doubt I will get any video.
You always have the most interesting threads! But seriously, be careful!
5700c261-de92-4447-8dfa-6060c7a3d8c9_text.gif

Reminds me of weatherby testing a rifle with a bullet in the bore AND a live round loaded behind it. Both bullets pushed out successfully with no damage. One of those "do not try this at home" activities. They did it to prove you can't blow up a Weatherby mk v. No other action is good for 200,000 c.u.p.

Define smokeless powder type… rifle powder would -Probably Not- catastrophically disassemble your rifle, but pistol/shotgun powder will. Now consider that a patched round ball seated tightly against the powder charge is going to be moving very very fast, down a rifled barrel twisted to stabilize a much different shaped bullet. Most BP guns optimized for round ball have a 1:64-1:48" twist. I assuredly guarantee that your rifle twist is somewhere in the 1:8-1:12" range. This will cause two things… one, the patch will instantly disintegrate and the bare lead ball will lead up your rifling like nothing you have ever seen, to the point the first 6" of the barrel will be smooth, filled with lead, and two, the ball will be traveling at such a high speed and rotation, that it will certainly not hit your point of aim. Now you are frustrated, pissed off, and have a hell of a cleanup to do. Now let's assume you use black powder, more wisely instead, filled right up to the card… the velocity will be lower, the patch will stay intact, the barrel might not get leaded, but your accuracy is still crap. Please make a video. I want to hear you cuss. And assuming you get said patched round ball down your barrel, you will most certainly have destroyed your crown with the cleaning rod you used to pound it down. Just buy a BP rifle. They are not expensive.
Unique at 12 to 13gr is the powder I have been using. I have done six loads between two pieces of brass with no sizing. I do not have a 50 Beowulf die set. I am going to run more loads until the brass splits or I can't get them to chamber. I will run a couple of rounds of the factory ammo today as well.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top