JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This may seem a little far out even for me (or not) but I'm thinking about trying to load a patched round ball through the muzzle in a conventional rifle. The case would be primed, charged with smokeless powder and a card placed over powder charge to keep it in case.

An empty case would first be loaded in rifle. I would load the patched round ball through the muzzle until it contacted the empty case. Then remove the empty case and load a charged case. Assuming an appropiate charge of powder, what other dangers might exist?

Can you explain that a little more, are you thinking I will end up with roundball stuck in bore?
I'm not really sure what will happen just that modern rifle powders operate at a high pressure, I looked up 30-30 and it runs around 40,000 psi. I don't think what you are thinking will work well. A couple issues are the relative light weight of the round ball and the lack of bearing surface for the rifling to engrave.

This may seem a little far out even for me (or not) but I'm thinking about trying to load a patched round ball through the muzzle in a conventional rifle. The case would be primed, charged with smokeless powder and a card placed over powder charge to keep it in case.

An empty case would first be loaded in rifle. I would load the patched round ball through the muzzle until it contacted the empty case. Then remove the empty case and load a charged case. Assuming an appropiate charge of powder, what other dangers might exist?
As long as you can get someone to hold your beer everything will go as planned

I have run into accuracy issues with my 1:28 inline shooting round ball. Slower loads usually do better.

I just tried loading one and I pushed the patched round ball into the empty case. The case still chambers so maybe I can just load the patched round ball into the cases directly. I can try other more cylinder shaped projectiles if round ball doesn't provide enough accuracy.

20220627_204447.jpg

I wouldn't even patch it. Might use a bit harder alloy for the roundball
though. Do a search for "shooting buckshot in a rifle" 30 cal rifle
with a 0 buckshot pressed into the case mouth over a bit of fast
powder is a old solution for a camp meat round.

The roundball is too small in diameter to load without the patch. I am going to powder coat a few .495 ones tonight and see if I can get them to fit tight in case with out a patch.

I thought about making a sizer pipe out of a piece of 1/2 iron pipe nipple and a floor flange to hold the nipple. I could open the starter end of the nipple up to allow for 54cal and maybe even 58cal round ball to fit in. Then pound it through the nipple using a 1/2 bolt as a push rod. By the time the roundball came out the other end of the nipple it should be 1/2 inch. That would create a more elongated ball that had more bearing surface.

The Secondary Explosion Effect might be something to worry about if you were using a slower powder; with a fast powder it hopefully shouldn't be possible but using a reasonable amount of powder would still be important. If the bullet isn't seated as deeply it would effectively have more case volume which would usually result in lower pressures if everything else is equal and nothing strange happens. It's backwards from what you are planning but some people breach seat 8.15x46r (maybe other cartridges too but that's the only one I know anything about). There's also this with nail gun blanks:

The Secondary Explosion Effect might be something to worry about if you were using a slower powder; with a fast powder it hopefully shouldn't be possible but using a reasonable amount of powder would still be important. If the bullet isn't seated as deeply it would effectively have more case volume which would usually result in lower pressures if everything else is equal and nothing strange happens. It's backwards from what you are planning but some people breach seat 8.15x46r (maybe other cartridges too but that's the only one I know anything about). There's also this with nail gun blanks:
I've had success with 5gr of Ramshot Competition powder in 303 british with 220gr cast bullet. I will start there and see what happens. I think I will try one patched roundball loaded from the muzzle just for fun but the rest I will load in the case.

The advantage of loading through the muzzle is that it avoids working the brass. The Alexander Arms Brass I have is rumored to split after a few reloads. The less I work the brass the more reloads I should be able to get out of it.

It may surprise some here to know that I love shooting muzzle loading rifles...:D

That said...
While I think loading a bullet or round ball from muzzle could be done with a breech loading cartridge gun...
I also think that firearms should be used / loaded / shot in the manner for which they were designed for.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top