JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing to load…

All I have is an old saw and a rusty ole hammer..

5FB87E7F-9EAA-443B-9469-EF7892571603.jpeg

No ammo in the safe. The goal of the safe is to protect stuff from catching fire, so it seems counterproductive to load it up with stuff that might accelerate the fire :)

I like to keep a 1911 chambered with the safety off, positioned to point right at my nutz when I open the door. It's my solution to future child support

Only my 9mm pistol has one in the chamber. I do keep my shotgun with a loaded magazine tube and my AR has a loaded magazine but I keep the chambers empty.

I think this is probably the oldest thread resuscitation I've seen on this forum. Way to bring back the oldies!

I don't store long guns with a round in the chamber. I typically keep the shotgun closest to the safe door in cruiser ready condition (full tube, empty chamber, unlocked pump) just in case - grab, pump, ready to rock. It's always the same gun stored in the same condition, so never a doubt about which ones are hot and which ones are not.

No other weapons in the safe are loaded, and any with detachable mags do not have their mags inserted - both to save space and reinforce good safety awareness for those with access (wife, select family members, etc). Back when I was younger and single I used to keep everything loaded, but as soon as I had more than just me to worry about I decided it was time to change that up. However, I do always keep several mags for pistols, ARs, & stuff loaded with defense ammo on the shelf in the safe, so if needed I can have multiple weapons ready for use within a few seconds.

My carry pistol is always loaded, round in chamber, ready to go. Only exception is for cleaning or other maintenance. It is on me nearly every waking hour, so it typically just stays in the bedside safe when not in use (i.e. sleeping). When storing it I remove the entire holster with the gun and place it in the safe.

I know for either long guns or my carry pistol it will take an extra second to make ready (load a mag or remove the holster) if I need to use it, but I accept the delay in return for peace of mind and the added measure of safety that this process provides. I'm fortunate that where I live is pretty low risk. If I lived in a rough neighborhood my methods might be different.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews