JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All my long guns are unloaded, but once I get my AR15 done it'll be stored ready to go. I have three pistols well hidden around the house, all loaded with one in the chamber.

All handguns in the safe have loaded mags inserted but nothing inthe pipe.

I have loaded mags in the safe for each long gun.

My patrol rifle is mags inserted.

My carry gun is by my bed cocked and ready to rock.

My scattergun is loaded with an empty chamber....for that certain sound!!

All guns are unloaded in the safe, there is no need to have them loaded. If i need to get into my safe to stop someone from breaking in i think its a little late. i have a few guns out. My daily carry and my wifes daily carry. It is an unnecessary risk to leave loaded guns around the house. If anyone was to break in i would really hate to have it either stolen or used on me or someone here. If you dont have a safe and you have more than 2 guns i personally think its very irresponsible. If you can afford 2000 dollars in guns you can afford 500 for a safe to keep them.... well safe. Also something to think about and its one of the gun rules, be aware of your target and beyond. If you are using a ar or ak for home defense think about how far that round is going to travel after it goes through them. Especially if you have loved ones in the house and neighbors. if you are in a hall and you have to shoot someone in the middle and someone is behind them guess who else that round hits. Im sure you all know this but alot of people just take it for granted and dont think about it or just say it will never happen to me. no matter how far you live out in the sticks there is always a chance, no matter how much you are home there is always a time you are not home.

Matt

P.S. I would be sorry about the long pep talk but im not sorry :). Someone had to say it.

My safe is to keep my firearms safe. I've heard ammo will explode due to the heat, before the heat can damage the firearm. I keep ammo and powder in a separate safe. My home defense is not in a safe and is ready to use.

All guns are unloaded in the safe, there is no need to have them loaded. If i need to get into my safe to stop someone from breaking in i think its a little late. i have a few guns out. My daily carry and my wifes daily carry. It is an unnecessary risk to leave loaded guns around the house. If anyone was to break in i would really hate to have it either stolen or used on me or someone here. If you dont have a safe and you have more than 2 guns i personally think its very irresponsible. If you can afford 2000 dollars in guns you can afford 500 for a safe to keep them.... well safe. Also something to think about and its one of the gun rules, be aware of your target and beyond. If you are using a ar or ak for home defense think about how far that round is going to travel after it goes through them. Especially if you have loved ones in the house and neighbors. if you are in a hall and you have to shoot someone in the middle and someone is behind them guess who else that round hits. Im sure you all know this but alot of people just take it for granted and dont think about it or just say it will never happen to me. no matter how far you live out in the sticks there is always a chance, no matter how much you are home there is always a time you are not home.

Matt

P.S. I would be sorry about the long pep talk but im not sorry :). Someone had to say it.

Cardinal rules of gun safety can not be said enough, thanks Matt!!

1. All firearms are always loaded.
2. Never point your firearm at anything you are not willing AND justified to kill or destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until a concious decision has been made to fire.
4. Be aware of your target, the backstop and what lies beyond.

Everything in my safe is unloaded but there are full mags for selected arms. However, everything not in the safe (house gun(s)) is/are loaded but without a round in the chamber. The house gun(s) is/are stored high and I have no kids living in the house. And, I have a 45 pound dog. All arms are stored in the safe except what I'm packing when I'm on vacation. And, I have a 45 pound dog.

I have a 45 pound Pit Bull that would be totally worthless is someone broke in. Heck, he'd ask them if they wanted a beer.

431407175_JjzFP-XL.jpg

A guard dog, he aint.

-Mark.

Absolutely. Well, one anyway- in the safe & 2 Sigs at all times. 220 w/in reach from bed and a 225 is always in the holster. As mentioned, the time from "WTH to Oh Darn I'm Dead" isn't long.
FWIW I keep a 30rd Ar mag loaded w/40g varmit stuff for in/around the house if necessary. Not likely to go through too many walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep only my carry piece loaded in the house. However, as others mentioned, I have a 4 legged security presence always "loaded." We have 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks, one of which is so worthless she would probably help carry the big screen out if you fed her, one of which would sleep through a robbery, and the third is 145 pounds of rip your arm off because you dont screw with his house.

In the safe... loaded?

Yes.

We keep a "smattering" of G22s "around the house" for "homeland security" ...all with a loaded magazine in them, but not chambered and an ole Mossberg 500 with a magazine tube full, but again, nothing in the chamber. Only guns with a round in the "chamber" are my G23 (EDC) and wifes Smiff 642.

The safe is not the place to keep the "go to" guns. I figure for whatever is happening, if I've got to get into the safe to get to a firearm, I'm too late. Rejecting my logic there, I keep a full magazine in the G35 (in the safe), but no round in the chamber and also have two loaded arf magazines just in case. Ya would hate to need em and not have them.

ETA: No kids... wife just has me and the cat.

Short answer...none loaded in safe. Long answer...it would take too long to get into the safe if I needed to in a hurry.

That's not to say I don't have another alternative readily available if needed.

Are_you_serious.jpg

Really2.gif

Since there is no law that prohibits such practice. YET. Make a decision about how you want things done in your safe.

What_could_go_wrong.jpg
Know_Your_Limitations.png

Rrrrright.......

Up To You!

Aloha, Mark

PS.....as for ME, I don't mix the loaded with the unloaded firearms.

Old thread. But Ive changed a lot since then: I used to have loaded firearms stored.
I now only keep my CHL pistol loaded as well as mags for certain firearms loaded.. I dont keep anything in my safes chambered and ready to go anymore. The way I see it, the loaded mags are enough for the "what if" type stuff.. I see no point in having a chambered round with longterm stored firearms.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top