JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have noticed that certain members come into certain threads and make provocative posts seemingly with the intent of getting people riled up. People take the bait and respond, then these posters sight the forum rules and boom, thread gets closed. It's like that was there intent. Hmm? It's like some people dont want these topics discussed and certain facts and info brought to light.

I really appreciated Joe's message. It's got to be really hard for him to see his vision of a firearms community waste away to endless fighting and bickering.
I've been responsible for some of that myself, but over the last year tried tonot post as much incendiary comments.

So many I'd could quote, so don't take this personally.

There's still a firearms community here. Who's saying it's gone?
General fire arm forum.
Education and Training.
Defensive carry and self defence
Competitive shooting, hunting, fishing.
Handgun, shotgun, rifle, rim fire discussion forums.
Reloading.
curio and relic, black powder Etc....

What I don't get is saying that people won't come here because of "Petty Bickering". Is there a lot of petty bickering on the actual "Fire arm discussion" forums? I imagine the usual, "Glocks are the best/suck/over rated, AR 15s REALLY is the best ever/no it's not" kind of bickering. Why do people insist on reading stuff the don't like to read and then complain about how terrible it makes them feel and want it to stop? I see stuff that pisses me off and ignore it! Why can't the adults here move on after making a non threatening, non belittling statement and call it the end? Your not going to change that persons mind. Not to mention "Those" people that read a thread and like to insert a snide, snarky post directed at members in the thread? It's a snide remark, it's not "Discussion". you know who they are. After you comeback at them they bring up "That's not being excellent" :s0140: Time to laugh and leave it lay in the yard.

That would be sad as this forum is very useful for raising awareness about attacks on firearm freedoms which have been many in the last few years. There are many firearm forums out there that are not local and/or don't provide opportunities for discussing 2A issues. NWFA is unique in allowing that discussion which is very valuable in protecting our 2A rights.

This 100%! I get my news here! There's no way in hell I would ever have the ability of the fine, excellent, members of this forum to do the work searching ALL these media sites for the news and vids I been seeing these last couple of weeks. Do you realize how little the masses know about what's going on out there? I've been trying to watch a little local news, they don't show anything compared to what's out there. and available here. There's clearly very little research done by the MSM to get the whole story. Or even a fraction of balance in a story.

I'll go with what ever The Boss decides, I have to, because......

I hate to see moderation get too heavy. These are very tough time for most of us and we need the outlet. We just need to learn not to respond to those clearly getting their jollies getting members to foam at the mouth.

Why not term limits for members while we're at it?
This is an unrealistic comparison.

This would be like suggesting term limits for citizens of the US after a new prez is elected.

Members are free to come and go as they please. The members are what make the forum. Moderators are members that are asked if they would like the position and start off enthusiastically and as times change, members come and go and in some circumstances forum moderators become jaded, less effective and lose touch with the membership.

Much like elections I believe new mods after a time limit would be a fresh approach and be welcomed by the membership as a whole.

Those who do not share your perspective are not "burying their heads in the sand" nor are they "wishing for rainbows and unicorns."

This isn't exactly an ad hominem...closer to a straw man...either way, it castigates your opponents without even attempting to address an opponent point.

Exactly the kind of thing the mods are trying to change, no?

Those who do not share my perspective are free to have their own thoughts and come to the their own conclusions.

Intriguing that your response is to attack how I expressed my opinion and not to give reason for why my opinion is incorrect. I am open minded and a compelling arguement or evidence can change my mind. I would rather have the opportunity to learn than to be marginalized.

For the record I do not see anyone on this forum as my opponent including yourself.

and as times change, members come and go and in some circumstances forum MEMBERS become jaded, less effective and lose touch with the RULES

See? Not really all that different if I change just TWO words of your statement.

let's argue about glock v 1911 ? a firearm forum without "politicization" of the 2nd Amendment is useless as two tails on a dog. ignore the politics and you won't have guns for long.

This is true. We just have to realize when to chop it off. Blasting or belittling someone that won't be a part of a discussion is what's causing problems. I live in the middle of people that believe what's happening in portland is appropriate. I'm never going to change their mind. I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of responding to them. Just my opinion, but I believe that is the problem we're having here at NWFA. I figure I know a turd when I see one. I choose to leave it lay in the yard, untouched.

Most folks here are open minded and will listen to a good argument, it's when lines are drawn and we in the Gun community take sides and we all lose. Plenty of sites have gone the way of the dodo bird, most here don't want that to happen to NWFA. I know a few Democrats that fight as hard as anyone you'd meet on the opposite side. Why do you think WA's 10 round mag ban didn't pass the last time around, they had a forum to do so. Many D's own guns and took a stand.

You'll attract more flies with honey then vinegar, so why serve vinegar?

Call me weak if it suites you, but to build bridges we will end up getting walked on from both sides from time to time.

I'd just rather have this a place where we can talk out our differences as adults and statesmen.

I enjoy Northwest Firearms as it relates to my hobby interest in firearms, reloading and the historical aspects of firearms. Lots of good discussions and great accumulated knowledge on the site.

Not interested in political discussions.

Just read a letter from joe link that I'm sure you got too. It saddens me that he has had his vision of this site so altered by members who have no regard for the reason we are here, guns and the second amendment, sharing experience, knowledge, and camaraderie. I got here about ten years ago, when it was fun, hung out in chat, made friends I could rib a bit, bought a few guns and sold a few.
Boy things have changed, harsh political opinions seem to be popping up everywhere, derisive posts and divisive attitude seem to prevail.
Frankly I don't even give a damn about your politics, I don't give a damn about politicians, and parties. From here on out I vow not to get involved on this site in any of that crap. It draws us away from our objective here, promoting legal gun usage, education, sharing knowledge, and maybe having a bit of fun.

I posted something a while back (here iirc), about being divided. We need to focus on what brings us together, the things we share in common. Not on our differences. If we continue on the path we are on, being unable to present a cohesive front, the lawmakers are going to be able to steam roll right over us.

Wow. I read the letter too and unfortunately wasn't surprised. I guess I'm not browsing around enough here because I mostly haven't seen the sort of negativity Joe was referring to. I tend to shy away from exeremely divisive issues as I just don't want to get involved in yet another Internet pizzing match. I hope the new version of NWFA is closer to what Joe's wanting!

I have noticed that certain members come into certain threads and make provocative posts seemingly with the intent of getting people riled up. People take the bait and respond, then these posters sight the forum rules and boom, thread gets closed. It's like that was there intent. Hmm? It's like some people dont want these topics discussed and certain facts and info brought to light.
Yup they are called trolls..

I hope this forum doesn't follow the path forged by spokane gun trader... it was a good forum back in the day, when free speech was allowed. Remember the Second comes after the First.

I mean, we kind of are, but this is private property. I didn't build this place so people could come in and claim it for themselves, dictate terms, etc. We have very specific goals. If this doesn't sit well with you, you're free to go elsewhere or start your own platform.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews