JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it gets too stressful or not sufficiently monetarized (what's $5 per month - or per week - for each of us?) it risks being sold, merged, or going the way of old soldiers.

Was a mod on a non-gun forum. 60K members. Boom! Gone. Owners gave up, did not promote it correctly. Got switched over to a useless forum which has no purpose. We all left.

Let's not allow that to happen here.

I'll be quietly observing the evolution before deciding what I think about the results. My suspicion is that the Overton window has probably displaced me. Best of luck moving forward.

Look, if I logged in and got the "error 404: domain name available" message I would feel I lost something. Something that was meaningful.

Information is like soup. You need a little spice. But we don't need incomprehensible attacking back and forths without any chance of resolution. There's reality TV for that.

I do like that I learnt what the Overton window is. Learnt that here, by gosh.

I agree, if NWFA ceased to exist, it would be greatly missed. Not only for the knowledge, classifieds, 2A Information and outing attackers of the 2A, but I'd truly miss BabesNGuns...

This is the only social media I partake of, it's been invaluable in desiminating the truth about what happened in Kenosha with the shooting during the riots, also here in Portland. It's been a source of detailed information regarding police shootings and has provided information no media outlet is covering. Losing that, in my opinion, will not be beneficial to the forum in the long run.

Many of us use the forum to gather news and unpublished or little known facts, we've seen that since the George Floyd incident, and even before in fact. There are many concerned and passionate members here, yes sometimes things flare up. We're human, we get passionate. And as members we need to do a better job policing that.

I do agree it's been heated and decisive lately, with attacks on members directly, that's not cool. I won't feed that. We can't make people think and value what we think and value, but we can work together on the main interests we have, firearms, protecting our rights and sharing information about attacks on those rights.

I'm hoping we'll still be able to have those discussions.

I'll be quietly observing the evolution before deciding what I think about the results. My suspicion is that the Overton window has probably displaced me. Best of luck moving forward.
Did me, sad to see it happen but, as I have long said the site belongs to someone who sets the rules. People who want to play can play or not by choice. If it fails others will come up with something that works. I have long been big on personal freedom.

So much of the angst displayed by members has to do with the reality of the world we are now living in. It's fun to joke about the "loyal' opposition, but that opposition has changed and become the monster under our beds. If it weren't for our 2nd Amendment this bard would be about knitting or something else. Like it or not, the world is a different place than when we got here and careful, well thought out discussion is an integral part of changing peoples minds. Personally, I get a little annoyed with those that just jump in with some Rambo-like answer to a particular subject. Most gun owners that I've met tend to have above average intelligence (in addition to being above average looking and are particularly talented in the marital arts) and can be persuaded with logic and sound reasoning.

I support removing all politics from this board going forward. As of late I have tried to not create political threads as I am probably responsible for the cause of more threads being closed than most. lf I hear something I think is crap I will respond to it, this would remove the largest impetus for this. I also find that threads like "political humor" is political discussion in disguise, it does this site no good other than to separate the membership. If you think that there are no democrats on this site I think your wrong.
Political affiliation is of no consequence to me. However most of the folks on this site would be opposed to infringements on speech topics. I think most of us are truly concerned about the violence that is perpetrated in our country today bu people that are members of neither political party.

I agree, if NWFA ceased to exist, it would be greatly missed. Not only for the knowledge, classifieds, 2A Information and outing attackers of the 2A, but I'd truly miss BabesNGuns...

This is the only social media I partake of, it's been invaluable in desiminating the truth about what happened in Kenosha with the shooting during the riots, also here in Portland. It's been a source of detailed information regarding police shootings and has provided information no media outlet is covering. Losing that, in my opinion, will not be beneficial to the forum in the long run.

Many of us use the forum to gather news and unpublished or little known facts, we've seen that since the George Floyd incident, and even before in fact. There are many concerned and passionate members here, yes sometimes things flare up. We're human, we get passionate. And as members we need to do a better job policing that.

I do agree it's been heated and decisive lately, with attacks on members directly, that's not cool. I won't feed that. We can't make people think and value what we think and value, but we can work together on the main interests we have, firearms, protecting our rights and sharing information about attacks on those rights.

I'm hoping we'll still be able to have those discussions.
Like the COVID 19 thread, I think that the riots protests have run their course on a gun related website. It is nice to have another point of view other than MSM, but how many pages does it take to relate new/old information. The plan/blueprint/scheme is out in the open and I doubt that it will change in the near future.

Like you, I love the " the main interests we have, firearms, protecting our rights and sharing information about attacks on those rights."

Those who do not share my perspective are free to have their own thoughts and come to the their own conclusions.

Intriguing that your response is to attack how I expressed my opinion and not to give reason for why my opinion is incorrect. I am open minded and a compelling arguement or evidence can change my mind. I would rather have the opportunity to learn than to be marginalized.

For the record I do not see anyone on this forum as my opponent including yourself.

My use of the word "opponent" is in the same use as you'd find in conversations relating to debate or a dialectic spar or a friendly competition...nothing more serious than that.

Stating that your response castigates those of opposite thought is not attacking how you expressed yourself -it's pointing out that the words you put to paper do, in fact, rebuke those who think differently at an almost ad hominem level.

The context around this entire thread is a message sent by Joe that can be summed up as: we're not going to support overtly political or non-2A political threads and everyone needs to play nice.

You then go on to write your opinion that political topics which on the surface appear removed from 2A conversations do, in fact, have everything to do with. 2A (like riots and political activist murders).

Your next sentence after this opinion is then: You can bury your head in the sand and wish for rainbows and unicorns, but that isn't what is happening.

The implication of such statement is that if I hold the opposite opinion to you (that topics like riots are distinct from 2A conversations and have no business being discussed here) then I am burying my head in the sand and dreaming of rainbows and unicorns. Such statement does nothing to address any potential reason why I might hold the opinion that I do but instead seeks to make me seem silly for holding such an opinion, thus you are attacking the opinion through the person, not directly...which is why I stated that your phasing verges on an ad hominem.

Your point could have very easily been made without this line. Indeed, it could have been bolstered if you chose to confront a reason that someone may think differently head on instead of passing judgement.

I'm not marginalizing you and I hope you don't see this as an attack. I do see your original post as evidence of the kind of subtle jab that appears to be top of mind for a site reform and I wanted to point it out and attempted to do so in a concise and polite way, so, I apologize for making you feel attacked - that was not my intent at all.

I honestly wouldn't have been able to do half the things I wanted to do with this site didn't exist. The gunsmithing forms provide excellent people to do excellent work on things we can't. the vendors do such amazing work on all of our stuff and it's available and we don't have to look for it.how many of you guys have been on Armslist and have to wonder is this guy going to screw me over tomorrow because there's no rating system. There has been so many times I have made a mistake or done something stupid and just reached out to the fourm and solved it overnight. Like a lot of people have said there's great places to shoot that are listed with coordinates for you to go. There are great people for you to meet even if they don't believe in the same things you do guns bring us together. There are some people who just take it too far just like in life and we don't need that here it's an escape when I have a hard day at work I'm happy to open up the Northwest firearms app and just browse and gawk at things my friends have that I didn't know they have. That's just my two cents and I'm off my soapbox

I am opposed to infringement of speech topics. That is said even though there have been those on this forum who try to marginalize and belittle a more moderate perspective on gun ownership. That's okay because that's what free speech is about. This forum may be "private property", but so are the dollars in my wallet. I won't be sharing those with the "owners" again if they stifle free speech out of the gate. I understand that might mean locking down threads when people fail to be "most excellent" to each other, but that is a far cry better than stifling free speech from the get go. My two cents.

So much of the angst displayed by members has to do with the reality of the world we are now living in. It's fun to joke about the "loyal' opposition, but that opposition has changed and become the monster under our beds. If it weren't for our 2nd Amendment this bard would be about knitting or something else. Like it or not, the world is a different place than when we got here and careful, well thought out discussion is an integral part of changing peoples minds. Personally, I get a little annoyed with those that just jump in with some Rambo-like answer to a particular subject. Most gun owners that I've met tend to have above average intelligence (in addition to being above average looking and are particularly talented in the marital arts) and can be persuaded with logic and sound reasoning.

I was really following you on this ^^ post until you got onto describing members attributes and realized, maybe, I don't fit in so well after all. :D

Like the COVID 19 thread, I think that the riots protests have run their course on a gun related website. It is nice to have another point of view other than MSM, but how many pages does it take to relate new/old information. The plan/blueprint/scheme is out in the open and I doubt that it will change in the near future.

Like you, I love the " the main interests we have, firearms, protecting our rights and sharing information about attacks on those rights."

I don't know where else I could go to get info on the latest destruction happening just a very few miles from my home. I'm sure not going to be able to turn on the local, or national news to see what's happening. Huge appreciation goes out to those members that search the webs for actual footage of what's going on in "this" town, (I can't call it my town anymore). If I lived somewhere like St Helen's I'd probably enjoy blocking the crap that goes on here completely from my mind.

I was really following you on this ^^ post until you got onto describing members attributes and realized, maybe, I don't fit in so well after all. :D

I don't know where else I could go to get info on the latest destruction happening just a very few miles from my home. I'm sure not going to be able to turn on the local, or national news to see what's happening. Huge appreciation goes out to those members that search the webs for actual footage of what's going on in "this" town, (I can't call it my town anymore). If I lived somewhere like St Helen's I'd probably enjoy blocking the crap that goes on here completely from my mind.

I was relating to this statement except for the martial arts part:)

"Most gun owners that I've met tend to have above average intelligence (in addition to being above average looking and are particularly talented in the marital arts) and can be persuaded with logic and sound reasoning."

If I lived somewhere like St Helen's I'd probably enjoy blocking the crap that goes on here completely from my mind.
What happens in Portland is going to happen to the rest of the state of Oregon sooner than latter. I cant afford to be blind to what is going on in Portland. I can get plenty of politics from various other sources. I think that this site should strictly be about guns and gun related items. I agree with Joe Link on this one.

(...)
Most gun owners that I've met tend to have above average intelligence (in addition to being above average looking and are particularly talented in the marital arts) and can be persuaded with logic and sound reasoning.

4dlilw.jpg

:s0140:

I mean, we kind of are, but this is private property. I didn't build this place so people could come in and claim it for themselves, dictate terms, etc. We have very specific goals. If this sit well with you, you're free to go elsewhere or start your own platform.
HI JOE !!!!!!!!!!...Hope you are going ok

What happens in Portland is going to happen to the rest of the state of Oregon sooner than latter. I cant afford to be blind to what is going on in Portland. I can get plenty of politics from various other sources. I think that this site should strictly be about guns and gun related items. I agree with Joe Link on this one.

I fully agree that this "Disease" that is taking over the large population centers of Oregon will try and get hold in smaller, rural communities too.

As far as the rest. There are numerous forums at NWFA dedicated to ONLY firearm topics. No one is forcing you to look at other forums that you don't have any interest in. I get to decide what I want to look at, and you get to decide what YOU want to look at. I don't get to decide what YOU can look at. And you don't get to decide what I can look at. I will control myself according to the rules of the site. I trust that the people I've come to know in a way at NWFA these last ten years will toe the line and keep the site viable for years to come.

I fully agree that this "Disease" that is taking over the large population centers of Oregon will try and get hold in smaller, rural communities too.

As far as the rest. There are numerous forums at NWFA dedicated to ONLY firearm topics. No one is forcing you to look at other forums that you don't have any interest in. I get to decide what I want to look at, and you get to decide what YOU want to look at. I don't get to decide what YOU can look at. And you don't get to decide what I can look at. I will control myself according to the rules of the site. I trust that the people I've come to know in a way at NWFA these last ten years will toe the line and keep the site viable for years to come.
If what you said was true about toeing the line this tread would never had been started

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews