JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just read a letter from joe link that I'm sure you got too. It saddens me that he has had his vision of this site so altered by members who have no regard for the reason we are here, guns and the second amendment, sharing experience, knowledge, and camaraderie. I got here about ten years ago, when it was fun, hung out in chat, made friends I could rib a bit, bought a few guns and sold a few.
Boy things have changed, harsh political opinions seem to be popping up everywhere, derisive posts and divisive attitude seem to prevail.
Frankly I don't even give a damn about your politics, I don't give a damn about politicians, and parties. From here on out I vow not to get involved on this site in any of that crap. It draws us away from our objective here, promoting legal gun usage, education, sharing knowledge, and maybe having a bit of fun.

I posted something a while back (here iirc), about being divided. We need to focus on what brings us together, the things we share in common. Not on our differences. If we continue on the path we are on, being unable to present a cohesive front, the lawmakers are going to be able to steam roll right over us.

Fair enough. I've noticed things getting pretty nasty this year, too. Maybe this is a good time to document and post about some experiments and findings with my collection

I think one of the positive things that I see going on in my area of the country is many new faces in the shooting sports. Several of my friends that have never been into guns are getting concealed carry permits, buying their first gun, taking training courses, training their wives, etc. I see that a a nice boost for the future of our sport. More people asking questions about which gun to buy for carry, home protection or just target work. They are buying holsters, target and defensive ammo, joining ranges, paying for classes, etc. Whole families being introduced to a new sport that should pay dividends for the future of the sport we love so much.
I recently renewed my concealed carry license for another 7 years, took me 15 minutes and cost $58 in Florida, and my discussions with the tech that did the work indicated that the demand for carry licenses is off the charts. I'm encouraged, that speaks volumes about current interest in our 2nd amendment. Just thought I would share.

Speaking of back to the basics, your warning about lawmakers steam rolling right over us should be taken seriously. We have State elections coming up in a little over 60 days and I have haven't heard many people here discussing it. These elections are going to matter when it comes to State Gun Control laws being passed or not. Covid allowed us to dodge some bullets with the Ballot Initiatives but Oregon has a full session coming up in 2021 and you can be sure there will be attempts to pass what the Ballot Intiatives wanted to get on the books.

This is one seat 2A supporters need to win in Oregon:

Speaking of back to the basics, your warning about lawmakers steam rolling right over us should be taken seriously. We have State elections coming up in a little over 60 days and I have haven't heard many people here discussing it. These elections are going to matter when it comes to State Gun Control laws being passed or not. Covid allowed us to dodge some bullets with the Ballot Initiatives but Oregon has a full session coming up in 2021 and you can be sure there will be attempts to pass what the Ballot Intiatives wanted to get on the books.

This is one seat 2A supporters need to win in Oregon:

I could be wrong but I think political discussions are one of the things that Joe Link is advocating should change.

My reply to Joe:

Gotta do what ya gotta do.

I've been occasionally shocked to see what other sites contain (24hr Campfire comes to mind).

Recently I was "banned" from a thread here for merely stating what by experience I knew as fact. I made my peace with the Moderator himself ("coincidentally" the OP of the thread). No sense "runnin' ta Dad".

I was offered a Moderator position here at one point and turned it down because I had to be honest with Joe: I'd probably more often than not side with an "offender".

I made cruel fun for a while of the "'censor mechanism". (Cruel fun of that is easy.) I still think we should be allowed to converse in the common vernacular.

With that history behind me here, I see this proposal as a potential good. I'll hang out and see how it goes.

I wish you luck avoiding any "politicization" of the 2nd Amendment. I think it arrived with that baggage.

Good point. I'm just imagining the potential for more debate b/c you can have people who see support for 2A meaning no new gun legislation versus more gun legislation. Both parties could disagree and at the same time think they are supporting the 2A.
Lawmakers equal gun legislation. It's important we have lawmakers in our Capitols that support our 2A rights regardless of party they identify with. I don't think Joe would disagree with that. I think he is more concerned with off topic political discussions.

I really appreciated Joe's message. It's got to be really hard for him to see his vision of a firearms community waste away to endless fighting and bickering.
I've been responsible for some of that myself, but over the last year tried tonot post as much incendiary comments.

I truly value this site for all it has taught me by some amazing members here. I've learned a wealth of knowledge about firearms and I can only hope that continues, as I always have more to learn.

Personally I would mind removing all political and news stories and just get back to firearms, shooting, and maybe some hunting/fishing for fun.

Remove anything political, even 2A stuff.

Back to shooting sports, sportsman activities, what, how, and where to do it all.

I'm here to learn the technical side of a lifelong hobby; a number of fine folks have steered me away from potential injury and made me laugh (@Stomper and @Andy54Hawken in particular). I have strong views on Politics, some of which haven't been well-received on the few occasions I have extended my opinions, though a love of firearms and the belief that a free people should be able to responsibly tinker with guns without any interference remains a constant. I like the idea of toning down the incindiary rhetoric and getting back to what brought us all here in the first place, though even I know better than to step into the Best Caliber discussions. We all know it's 45 Colt anyway.:p

I really appreciated Joe's message. It's got to be really hard for him to see his vision of a firearms community waste away to endless fighting and bickering.
I've been responsible for some of that myself, but over the last year tried tonot post as much incendiary comments.

I truly value this site for all it has taught me by some amazing members here. I've learned a wealth of knowledge about firearms and I can only hope that continues, as I always have more to learn.

Personally I would mind removing all political and news stories and just get back to firearms, shooting, and maybe some hunting/fishing for fun.

Remove anything political, even 2A stuff.

Back to shooting sports, sportsman activities, what, how, and where to do it all.
" Personally I would mind removing all political and news stories and just get back to firearms, shooting, and maybe some hunting/fishing for fun. Remove anything political, even 2A stuff."

That would be sad as this forum is very useful for raising awareness about attacks on firearm freedoms which have been many in the last few years. There are many firearm forums out there that are not local and/or don't provide opportunities for discussing 2A issues. NWFA is unique in allowing that discussion which is very valuable in protecting our 2A rights.

I support removing all politics from this board going forward. As of late I have tried to not create political threads as I am probably responsible for the cause of more threads being closed than most. lf I hear something I think is crap I will respond to it, this would remove the largest impetus for this. I also find that threads like "political humor" is political discussion in disguise, it does this site no good other than to separate the membership. If you think that there are no democrats on this site I think your wrong.

I think removing 2A speech would be the wrong way to go, that's exactly what the commies want, make no mistake we are in the fight of our lives, we need to band together, not hate on each other, more understanding..and 9mm beats 45acp any day lolololol.

118279772_10157711570965423_625598877423222802_o.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class