JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Id venture to suggest that the whole selling to the first person who responds thing, is a non issue. The majority of people id bet do sell their item to the first reasonable human being who wants said item. And if not, there might be a good reason! But what are we going to about these lowlifes who are choosing who they sell their property too, need to get a handle on this before it gets out of hand
I agree ! On a public forum when an ad is answered with an I'll take it or PM sent to make the deal , that should have priority , especially over someone else offering more money , which would then in a way violate forum rules as an "Auction" being it went to a higher bidder. Where is common courtesy and sense these days ?

Honestly, I haven't sold anything here so I never looked at feedback. I have completed 4-5 deals on here so far and as a buyer got No feedback , yet the deal was completed to the sellers satisfaction and mine.
I'm a man of my word and while it may take a few days to get the money to my brother in Portland to do the deal , if ya don't take paypal or ship, it will happen if I say I will take it and we agree on a price. If ya don't want to wait for the money transfer to happen so you can get cash when the deal happens , then let me know before agreeing to sell it, pure and simple.
We are supposed to be Excellent to each other on here, and I take that to include buying and selling.
I'm not doubting your word at all, or questioning your integrity in any way. The key point of my arguement, as you yourself stated, is "before agreeing to sell it". I'm not talking about backing out of deals, I'm talking about declining the deal from the start, for whatever reason.

Like many, I generally sell to the first person who responds, but may or may not agree to ship depending on the item in question. There are also times where I choose not to hold something for anyone, and explain very clearly that the first person to put cash in my hand gets it. Every transaction is different, and approached on a case by case basis.

I just don't think a person should have to agree to sell to the first person who responds. That's all.

Some people are just uncouth like that. Some folks will back out of a deal for $5, say they will take it, make arrangements, then flake out, or buy a gun on here, turn around and flip it at a higher price in the same forum. That's just tacky and a slap in the face to selling member in my opinion.

I'm not doubting your word at all, or questioning your integrity in any way. The key point of my arguement, as you yourself stated, is "before agreeing to sell it". I'm not talking about backing out of deals, I'm talking about declining the deal from the start, for whatever reason.

Like many, I generally sell to the first person who responds, but may or may not agree to ship depending on the item in question. There are also times where I choose not to hold something for anyone, and explain very clearly that the first person to put cash in my hand gets it. Every transaction is different, and approached on a case by case basis.

I just don't think a person should have to agree to sell to the first person who responds. That's all.

I'm talking about placing an ad to sell ,You have already agreed to sell it... if you don't want to ship from the get go then SAY SO in the ad. I wont answer that ad. If you don't say and I pm you saying I will take it if you will ship and you decline to ship , then I move along...Nothing to see here. If you put a price shipped on your ad and I say i will take it at the price, you don't think the seller should be obligated to sell to me if I am the first responder ? That is buffalo chips and you go on my ignore list from then on.
If I ran my business like that, where I didn't sell to the first person that agreed to the price and terms I wouldn't last 90 days before I had NO more customers. If you don't take paypal and have to wait for a check or money order , it is just common courtesy to wait for the funds. Happens everyday on Gunbroker , etc. with Buy it Now or auctions won.
If you were selective selling (Discriminating) on my forum , you lose your privilege to sell as that is the rule on Many forums.

I'm talking about placing an ad to sell ,You have already agreed to sell it... if you don't want to ship from the get go then SAY SO in the ad. I wont answer that ad. If you don't say and I pm you saying I will take it if you will ship and you decline to ship , then I move along...Nothing to see here. If you put a price shipped on your ad and I say i will take it at the price, you don't think the seller should be obligated to sell to me if I am the first responder ? That is buffalo chips and you go on my ignore list from then on.
If I ran my business like that, where I didn't sell to the first person that agreed to the price and terms I wouldn't last 90 days before I had NO more customers. If you don't take paypal and have to wait for a check or money order , it is just common courtesy to wait for the funds. Happens everyday on Gunbroker , etc. with Buy it Now or auctions won.
If you were selective selling (Discriminating) on my forum , you lose your privilege to sell as that is the rule on Many forums.
No, I don't think the seller should be obligated to sell to you just because you responded first.

You never answered my earlier question.

Would you sell to someone with a horrible feedback rating if they were the first to say "I'll take it"?

So would you sell to someone with a horrible feedback rating if they were the first to say "I'll take it"?
I would, if it was a face to face deal...

I dont think I would trust them in a thru-the-mail deal... but face to face, sure.

Never know what goes on with feedback... sometimes its easy to see that a person has negative feedback which is retaliatory, etc.

Either way, in a FTF deal I have little to lose but my time, and in most cases the need for the $ outweighs 20 minutes in the car.

If I'm the first negotiating with someone and they sell it to someone else I'd be pissed. At least give me the courtesy to meet the same offer.

No, I don't think the seller should be obligated to sell to you just because you responded first.

You never answered my earlier question.

Would you sell to someone with a horrible feedback rating if they were the first to say "I'll take it"?
Yes... If the Money is sent it gets shipped ! If they don't send the money or don't show up to meet my rep then they get blackballed and it goes back on sale or to the next person interested. I will give everyone a Chance to prove themselves...

Here's the funny, or not, thing. People are using smart phones like their lives depended on them? Yet they mess up on which Home Depot they're supposed to meet at? Doesn't sound too smart to me.
Here's one for you, Mike. I check into a hotel tonight, in the town I'm supposed to be in.
Clerk asks, "when did you make the reservation?"
I reply, "about a month ago."
Clerk: "do you have your confirmation number?"
me : "sure, here it is. Oh, it's for xyz town."
clerk : that's about 30 miles from here. Nice hotel, but a ways from here....​

Here's the funny, or not, thing. People are using smart phones like their lives depended on them? Yet they mess up on which Home Depot they're supposed to meet at? Doesn't sound too smart to me.
I have a friend who came to Oregon from Texas for a job interview in North Bend. Saw Bend on the map and figured North Bend would be north of Bend. He was two days late to his interview.

I can sympathize with someone getting lost up here and going to the wrong place if they have never been there, and with the traffic thing.

About a month or so ago I was going to buy yet another SIG pistol and I was trying to get to an FFL in Portland up close to Vancouver. I didn't count on the backup in traffic on I-5 that late in the day - I should have - and I got a bit lost trying to take detours and shortcuts around the bad traffic and I made it there late. My bad, but sometimes it happens.

As for the rest, yeah, misunderstandings happen too. Especially online.

I can sympathize with someone getting lost up here and going to the wrong place if they have never been there, and with the traffic thing.

About a month or so ago I was going to buy yet another SIG pistol and I was trying to get to an FFL in Portland up close to Vancouver. I didn't count on the backup in traffic on I-5 that late in the day - I should have - and I got a bit lost trying to take detours and shortcuts around the bad traffic and I made it there late. My bad, but sometimes it happens.

As for the rest, yeah, misunderstandings happen too. Especially online.
I had the same thing happen meeting someone at an FFL in Vancouver.

Stuck in traffic, then missed the destination and drove right past it, and had to turn around and backtrack. I felt so bad about being late I offered to pay the other party's transfer fee. :oops:

Unfortunately , we have sellers here who I have discovered will not return a fast pm offer to buy if the seller will ship them , and then they change the ad. Apparently the first person to respond doesn't get dibs on this forum... We are spread out across the country and not everyone lives in Portland , or Vancouver , Salem, or Everett. Some of us are willing to pay and wait for the items , just takes the seller a little packing and a trip to the PO.

I had a guy that got butt hurt, and started getting snarky toward me on my thread, because I wouldn't package a shotgun up and mail it to him. My choice, not yours, if I will or will not ship. If you don't like it, suck it up butter cup.

Here's one for you, Mike. I check into a hotel tonight, in the town I'm supposed to be in.
Clerk asks, "when did you make the reservation?"
I reply, "about a month ago."
Clerk: "do you have your confirmation number?"
me : "sure, here it is. Oh, it's for xyz town."
clerk : that's about 30 miles from here. Nice hotel, but a ways from here....​

Did this really happen to you? :oops:

I have a friend who came to Oregon from Texas for a job interview in North Bend. Saw Bend on the map and figured North Bend would be north of Bend. He was two days late to his interview.

Makes sense....And sometime afterward, funny as hell!

This thread has really taken off in the wrong direction. The buyer used improper etiquette, he didn't drown a litter of puppies. It's entirely possible the mistakes were just that. The issue has been solved, an appropriate feedback was left and the seller is good with the outcome. And if the buyer is watching this he's going to feel like crap as people keep calling for his head.

I know there's a "Tips, Techniques and Etiquette" thread for the classifieds on the forum somewhere? I can't find it now though. Maybe @Joe Link would consider putting a link to such a forum at the top of each classifies section? Such as "READ THIS BEFORE SELLING/BUYING".

Another time, I had setup a meet to buy "yet another SIG" in Keizer.

I told the seller I would text him when I left my house - but I texted the wrong # (transposed two numbers). I didn't learn this until I got to the FFL and then he had to drop what he was doing and come to the shop. Miscommunication on my part.

Sometimes stuff happens.

I wouldn't go negative, sometimes things just have a way of going wonky w/out any ill intent on either side.

I did a lunchtime deal one time in an area I was unfamiliar with but figured I could work it out. Going from Hillsboro to Tualitan the lunch time traffic was way worse than I anticipated then I missed my turn and had to re-route myself. I kept in contact w/the guy but could tell he was getting annoyed. Even getting into the parking lot was not as straight forward as I would have thought and I wasn't familiar enough with it to understand where the guy was parked. I was probably only 10 minutes late but time is crunched a bit during a lunch break.

The deal went down fine, I was very apologetic, gave the guy positive FB and got nothing back which has happened a few times even on deals that go down perfectly. To some people FB means pretty much nothing.

Communication is important as well and making sure that everything's understood up front. Not everyone communicates the same way or hears things the same. I can see how the ammo part of the above transaction could have been misconstrued. I'm one to usually give a guy a break, I certainly ain't perfect myself though I am a very honest guy, sometimes to a fault.

I knew a guy that wanted to sell his motorbike to a/the motorbike forum popular with many. He got jacked around one too many times and wound up holing the engine a few times with a pistol and then burning the bike for the benefit of said on-line biking community.

I've sure seen a lot of wheeler-dealer types over the years who will jack around with you, trying to tear you down and get a steal. I have no respect at all for those guys.

Speaking of bikes: A good friend of mine responded to an ad for a Harley for sale a couple years ago. I don't remember the specifics, but the guy was asking something like $4k. It was an older bike that had been sitting under a tarp for something like 20 years. He's in the South, not here in the NorthRust. :)

He looked at the bike closely, being a life-long Harley guy and a decent mechanic, and saw some real potential. Everything was original, very low miles, but it hadn't run in decades (flat, cracked tires, and all the other stuff that comes from sitting long term in mothballs). He told the guy that he thought it was well worth the asking price, but he couldn't in good conscience make a reasonable offer that he could afford. He left the guy his phone number and asked him to call him before selling it too cheap.

A week later the guy calls him and says that all the other guys who came to look at it since were derogating and insulting, with low-ball offers. He said that the best offer he'd received was $1200, and since my friend was the only one who'd been polite and honest, he offered it to him for that same $1200.

He jumped at it, of course. After a surprisingly minimal amount of work he got it running. He says it runs like a top and is easily a $6k bike. Sometimes it pays to be a nice guy.

I was once married to a truck dispatcher. She sent a guy to DOW-Corning, which was near SF, CA. He called her a few hours later and said, "I'm in Corning [CA], but I can't find any DOW plant."

That said, I always go back to contract law as we learned it in law school. You as the seller make an offer. If you are unwilling to sell to the first person who mets your terms of sale, you'd better have a good reason.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads