JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Warning!

:s0137:

I experienced my first annoying/sketchy NWFA transaction. The type that rivals Armslist.

The story:

Buyer is from Keizer. Has 9 positive feedbacks on his thingy.

He reaches out to me on my AR15 listed asking if I'd sell just the upper.

Sure.

Price agreed to was $200 and 100 rounds of factory 223/556 for my complete upper receiver with BCG and CH. We both agreed.

Next was trying to arrange a location and time. I do my best to vocalize that I do not deliver and usually only meet at a few places on the highway 26 corridor.

Time and place was set at 6:30PM at Sportsmans on 185th. Not usually ideal for a meeting in the dark, but I was being flexible as he was coming from Keizer.

The day of buyer wants to have me comes to Wilsonville, though agreements have been made. At an earlier time too. I couldn't make the earlier time as I already arranged kiddo care to meet at 6:30. Annoyed I agree to change the location to the Home Depot off Murray. 6:30 is still the go time.

He sends me a text saying he was heading to Hillsboro, followed by another stating he was likely going to be late due to traffic.

I get to the Home Depot at Murray and highway 26 as agreed at 6:30.

6:45ish I get a text that he was there. He wasn't. Then he asks if we could just meet at the Tires Plus as it is easier to find.

At this point I'm about ready to call it a night and head home.

He went to the Home Depot on Tualatin Valley Highway.

After figuring out his mistake we agreed to meet at the original meeting location, Sportsmans Warehouse on 185.

I arrived there maybe 10 minutes later. I waited 20 minutes for him to arrive.

I'm pretty done with this by this point. Dark empty parking lots are not my favorite for online meetings.

He inspects the upper and then asks me where the Ammo is, WTF! Huh? He thought the deal was my upper and 100 rounds of ammo from me for $200.

I'm done, ready to walk.

He plays the I drove all the way from Keizer card.

I don't give a F was what I wanted to say.

Anyways my patience returned and I agreed to an extra $20 which he had to borrow from the other people in the car with him.

Deal over, some time around 7:30pm

Things learned:

Even on NWFA you are not truly immune from people who simply should not be buying and selling.

I need to be even more clear, perhaps on the level of offensive that I do not operate some traveling food truck that goes all over the PNW to deliver goods to purchasing patrons. You want what I got, you come to my store.

Never again, agree to a after dark meet up. Ever. You want what I got, you come when my store is open.

Anyways, what do you think? Leave some negative feedback? Maybe neutral with a warning to future buyers?

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far you deserve a :)

Reno911

I wouldn't leave a negative - in the end you sold what you wanted to.

Neutral would be up to you, or none at all imo.

The dark thing is a little hard to avoid this time of year but I'd have gone with your gut if you felt uncomfortable.

I agree with making buyers come to you, as it helps eliminate last minute lowball offers in the hopes that you don't want to go home empty-handed.

I also don't deal well with last minute change of plans. :mad:

As for the miscommunication, I understand how frustrating that can be. I often annoy people by asking the same questions multiple times, but I like to make 100% sure we're on the same page. You know what they say about assuming something... :p

Regarding feedback, that's a personal decision. It's always nice to help warn others of potential problems, but you have to be aware you will likely receive negative feedback in return.

I'm just glad these stories are a rare occurrence here on NWFA. Almost all of my dealings so far have been a pleasant experience.

Sorry you had a bad experience with it. In the end, your item sold, and you lost a bit of time.

I have found that the following works for me. After I agree on something with a buyer/seller, I usually try to do a summary. I also include my phone number and vehicle make/model/colour just in case of traffic or there are 16 subaru outbacks in the parking lot.

[snip]
Hey, here's where I believe we've arrived:
You: Bring Cool Widget that I want to buy
Me: Bring $314, 2 paperclips and a ball of yarn
To meet you at: Piggly Wiggly on 37th & Main at 7pm

Is that what you understood to be the deal?
[/snip]

Most of the time it works out.

I'd say it's not worth you getting a bad review, which you certainly would. And his review would be you changed the rules. Kinda the opposite of your story I imagine. But I know YOU personally, others looking at you through the board may not though.

Your profile won't allow me to see the thread to see who the guy was.

My vote: Not worth throwing down a negative

I've got to ask, was he horrified about all the screw-ups? Man, if I made an arrangement to meet and it got messed up like that I be feeling terrible!

Reading comprehension FAIL
Directionally challenged FAIL
Run around after dark FAIL
Riding around with 'other people' to a deal and having to borrow $$ from those others FAIL

Good points all around.

I'll likely leave it be. No feedback.

I'm not expecting feedback from him, definitely won't expect anything if he stumbles across this thread.

Reading comprehension FAIL
Directionally challenged FAIL
Run around after dark FAIL
Riding around with 'other people' to a deal and having to borrow $$ from those others FAIL

This sums it up pretty well actually. Lol.

Bummer!

Yah, I'd go with no feedback over negative on this one.

...I've done the wrong store for a meet-up up Hillsboro way myself in the past. Happens, particularly up thata ways. I think mine was at the wrong Fred Meyers. Oopsies!

Did a couple other trades after that with the same member tho.

In retrospect, this thread made me look through all my feedback.

Damn I've met a lot of you guys!

Bummer!

Yah, I'd go with no feedback over negative on this one.

...I've done the wrong store for a meet-up up Hillsboro way myself in the past. Happens, particularly up thata ways. I think mine was at the wrong Fred Meyers. Oopsies!

Did a couple other trades after that with the same member tho.

Here's the funny, or not, thing. People are using smart phones like their lives depended on them? Yet they mess up on which Home Depot they're supposed to meet at? Doesn't sound too smart to me.

Sorry Reno911 to hear of the experience.
I'd also add, when meeting up a buyer/seller you've never met before (NWFA, Craigslist, etc), it's always common courtesy to let the other party know if you'll have someone with you. No one likes surprises.

I had a bad one a few days ago and posted here. It was deleted by mods. I left the jerk, a NWFA member bad feedback, and he responded in kind with lies. I wasn't pissed about not getting the gun, but lies are a different story.

Sorry Reno911 to hear of the experience.
I'd also add, when meeting up a buyer/seller you've never met before (NWFA, Craigslist, etc), it's always common courtesy to let the other party know if you'll have someone with you. No one likes surprises.
Ya, that's the sketchy part of this deal. I wasn't a fan of the blacked out windows and car full of people I couldn't see. Made me uneasy.

I've got to ask, was he horrified about all the screw-ups? Man, if I made an arrangement to meet and it got messed up like that I be feeling terrible!

Nope, didn't even seem to register with him that he was all over the place.

Seems like you went the extra mile (literally) to make the transaction happen. You are a well respected member and very easy to deal with regarding classifieds. I hope the buyer appreciates your efforts.

Welcome to free classifieds in 2019.

Internet sales are notorious for issues like this and are kinda a crap shoot. I recently had guy show up with out all the proper info we needed to buy his car, we were able to sort it out but a 30 minute transaction turned into 1 1/12 hours, so I understand your frustration.

He did communicate he was running late which was nice. I think the only mistake you made is you should of sent him the exact address of the meet since he was from out of town.

I have to ask though, what's the point of the thread if those that sell here don't know who it is to be watchful of? If it is just a rant, ok, but now we all have to put anyone from Keizer who wants AR parts on our be careful list. Good thing I don't do AR type guns. :)

Frankly, I'd be more inclined to bring people with me as well since I would be the one carriyng the money. Being from the East side and having to fight the traffic to get to anywhere on the West side is reason enough to be late and end up in the wrong place. Even when I Google Map a location before I go, I always forget a turn or it isn't like it looks on the map. And I do not use my phone, smart or not when I drive. Besides it being against the law (and of course we're all law abiding citizens here, aren't we?) it's dangerous to be distracted while driving in traffic, day or night.

While it wasn't a very good experience, you could have called it off at any time (and you probably wish you had) rather than complete the deal. I think a lot of us have had those types of dealings at one time or another. But like the saying goes... this too shall pass.

Mike

As I've said before, this is what the Feedback system is for. If no one ever leaves bad feedback, then what's the point?? You aren't blindly leaving a negative, there is a place to tell the story. I always READ any negative feedback someone has if I may be dealing with them. It's pretty easy to tell when it is legitimate and when it is retaliatory. I've dealt with a couple of people with less than perfect feedback because the bad was obviously BS. I've left negative feedback because they deserved it, but with a detailed explanation of what happened.
As far as fearing negative feedback, you have an opportunity for rebuttal. If you bother to check the feedback I left you can see what happened, my side of the story and the other's response. From there you can decide if you want to deal with him or not. His response is well-written and apologetic and explains why he did what he did. Having read his response I would still deal with him, but I would know to clarify the terms of the sale beforehand.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads