JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Microscopic traces of chemicals, oh no! Yeah, if lead exposure is such a big concern then I suggest you sell your firearms and take up something safe.

Perhaps get an aquarium?

Start an organic garden?

Or become a blue haired "mostly peaceful" protester?

I heard recently that lukewarm water is best. Cold water apparently closes the pores, trapping any lead dust that has made it inside them. Personally, I often forget and use hot water out of habit. It's probably not a big deal either way.
Yea, "more exposure" is erroneous as zero goes through your skin anywhichway.

For some reason, I just watched this video this morning unrelated to this thread. It was actually quite interesting, mostly about lead in fuel (and still in Av Gas as others noted). I learned some stuff without Gretta yelling, "How dare you!" at me.
In the interest of saving the word.....lemme HELP.

How_Dare_You.gif

Aloha, Mark

1651093021623.png
This will mitigate lead exposure by 100%. Just set this up, move about 300 yards away and use your remote terminal to fire. Once done, packup and leave with your laptop / terminal, but leave the remote mount and rifle behind, as they are now contaminated with lead particulate. You'll have to buy a new rifle and remote mount for your next range trip.

Having worked with lead most of my life, I have had to get regular blood lead checks. My own blood lead has never been higher than someone whos only exposure is living near a major highway. .009 M/DL.
in 45 years of working with lead, lead oxide, lead paint, casting lead [both as a plumber and a shooter] and handling bullets by the thousands, I never got high results.
The only people I knew who did get lead poisoning were welders and painters . and only those that smoked heavily. They would both sand or grind off lead paint and transfer the lead from their fingers to the ciggarette butt, and then to their mouth.

The way to keep from being containated is keep your fingers away from your mouth!
Wash your hands with a high Phosphate soap like you would use in a dishwasher, or the lead removal whipes . And keep any food or drinks away from your work area [ an open cup of coffee will catch floating debris too. ]
Do the easy stuff, and you can safely enjoy a lifetime of shooting without worry. DR

Do you happen to recall how much/what level they measured in you? Levels are measured in micrograms per deciliter.
No I do not but it was a large jump from my base line and there was some concern at the time. I have never had it checked sense, and I probably should but I will go back through my old medical files and see if I can find it, if I do I will let you know.

Last Edited:
I agree with the previous suggestions: a good mask, hand washing, face washing, then a change of clothes.

Because of where I work, I probably have the whole periodic table somewhere in my lungs. We got people sanding green primer with chromium in it, then blowing that yummy dust away with compressed air. I am almost positive that I have ingested/inhaled titanium, aluminum, whatever is in methyl ethyl ketone, not the good kind of IPA, and whatever blows around when the bay doors open up. As for lead? Just put that on my tab. The only thing scarier than all that? The COVE!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews