JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have CTC on mt G19 and it works grest in the dark. I put a Hi-Viz front sight on for daytime shooting as I lose the red dot in the bright sunlight. I have tried it at the range on one of those rare (G) grey days we get in the winter and the red dot was easily visible there, too.

I also find that with of the laser beams grip designs, like the CT's, for example, the beam itself is blocked out by the proper placement of the trigger finger on frame. I find that very disconcerting. I default to my training and my finger blocks out the laser. So the kinds of lasers that are mounted in the guide rod area of the auto pistol may have an advantage over the grip-mounted ones in this regard.......

I will say that the Crimson Trace product is very good quality and I have had no problems of any sort with two sets of CT grip types that I own.

I agree that CT does make a good product, however I've found the same thing with regards to proper finger placement blocking the laser.
So I dont currently own one.

The one sight that I am surprised no one has mentioned yet, is the Viridian.
I own the 5XL light/green laser combo.
Having fiddled around with lasers and cheap laser sights for some time now, let me just say the $$ is worth it!
They are kinda spendy, but man are they a stinking bright dot! nice bright LED light as well. (that can be set to strobe, ect. ect.)
In Daytime its good to about 30yds (more or less depending) nighttime its awesome! prob good out to 800+yds its so bright that if you point it up in the air it looks like you have a light saber! (even on a clear night)

All this being said, like someone else has mentioned, I dont like crap hanging off my carry gun, so just a basic tritium sight set up for that. The Viridian light laser combo is awesome for the nightstand gun though!:s0155:

I have seen that laser sights only work well in low-light conditions. In bright daylight, even the (brighter) green lasers disappear into the backround. Instead, a quickly-attachable weapon light, for use in room-clearing for instance, makes sense: The bullets tend to go to the center of the white-light area, and weapon lights are useful for blinding opponents in darkened areas. It may be valid, also (I'm not sure about this) that dependance on a laser could cause you to lose a gun fight by slowing your reaction time as you try to put the dot on the bad guy's chest.

A laser aiming device CAN help with dry-fire, as previously noted.

Also as previously noted; if you can see the laser beam, so can your opponent. That is why I don't use tracers either in a "one in five" mix, nor to signal the emptying of a magazine. (Remember the Garand "ping", after which your Japanese, Chinese, or N. Korean opponents would rush your foxhole?) Instead, I use ball ammo for target engagement, but keep one or two mags that are all tracer, which I use exclusively for marking targets for others (machine guns, etc.).

Nothing is a panacea, though lots of practice with good optical and iron sights both will stand you in better stead than reliance only on lasers. Practice point-shooting (AKA quick-kill or reflex firing), Mas Ayoob's book "Stress Fire" is excellent, though somewhat dated.

(By the way, we are issued IR laser/spot weapon lights for M4s and SAWs which are only viewable with starlight-type night vision devices - great so long as the enemy doesn't have similar devices! The latest one includes a daylight laser - again only useful at dawn or dusk.)

A few points have been brought up that I'd like to comment on:

1. Batteries fail:
a. The laser fades as the batteries drain. It doesn't work 100% one day and not at all the next. You really have to work hard at not noticing your batteries are begining to fade

b. Iron sights make an excellent backup

2. You can see the source of the beam:
Yes, If I'm pointing my gun at you, you could see the beam; however at nearly any other angle you will not

3. You loose the laser in bright light:
a. Most shootings occur in limited light

b. It has to be a very bright light to over power the laser. Normal daylight does not against most surfaces

c. Iron sights make an excellent backup

4. Your finger blocks the laser when placed properly
Not in my experience (1911c), but maybe it's different with other models

5. Can't focus on the front sights:
Ask any officer what they are looking at when confronted with a suspect and they will say their hands. That's where the problems come from. How can you look at the front sight and their hands at the same time? Laser puts your sights on the same focal point as the hands. It also opens up your peripheral vision to spot other threats.

Laser should never replace iron sight shooting but for personal defense I can't think of a better accessory.

I have the smallest (obsolete) Crimson Trace Lasergrips on my pocket S&W snubby revolver, and I would simply not do without them anymore. They go on when you squeeze the grip tight with a natural, instinctive grip---no other switching required. You can point-shoot using the dot without needing to use the iron sights at all if you are in a beeeg hurry. They are first-quality, and the batteries LAST---I have the same batteries in as when I bought the grips---FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. The laser is still as bright as ever.

Some people report trouble using the iron sights because they "chase the dot" and it wobbles on target---the key is to adjust the laser dot to appear JUST BELOW the aiming point of the iron sights. The real benefit of the laser is when you cannot use the iron sights in action. In practice dry-fire the laser is a great trainer to observe trigger control and "snatching". I have never had a problem with my finger blocking the beam either; that's a training issue.

As far as the badguy seeing where the laser comes from, so what? You are on target quicker than he can be! You can fire, or if you have time you can BLIND HIM, possibly permanently but at least for days, with the laser beam. Also, you can train yourself to grip the switch lightly so it is truly intermittant, lighting up only when you squeeze tightly. Not much mentioned is the simple deterrent impact of that laser dot appearing on the criminal's chest---if he is not drunk or drugged-out, he just might surrender on the spot...........................elsullo :s0155:

I've had long experience with lasers, having been one of the two people who did the original shooting evaluations for what would later become Crimson Trace's educational program. This was back before most people had ever heard of LaserGrips or Crimson Trace!

Many people here have commented on the limitations of lasers. Many of those issues are very valid (though the "bad guy can follow the beam back and find you" is sheer nonsense outside of a foggy night in a combat zone.) Those reasons are why no laser manufacturer (or reputable trainer) recommends lasers be used as a primary sighting system; they're invariably recommended for secondary or tertiary use only.

Under most conditions they contribute very little to the ability to deliver rapid, multiple, combat accurate shots. In a training environment they are definitely counterproductive to learning efficient shooting methods. I'm also convinced that a laser should not be used on a gun wielded by someone who is untrained - they usually end up throwing shots wildly as they try to stabilize the bouncing dot.

Lasers come into their own when shooting from unconventional positions or from around cover, and that's how I (and most other instructors) teach their use.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Lasers need batteries and batteries die.
Night sights are radioactive, they last 15 years or longer.
The laser dot can disappear in bright light.
The laser beam on someone's chest is a good indicator of where the bullet will hit them.
Good lasers are more expensive than night sights or even a Night sight/TLR3 combo.
Even if you have a laser you still should train mostly with iron sights.

Lasers are much better at showing your target in low light conditions, IMO.

Lasers always have the advantage of mechanical sights as backup.

A good light/laser is far superior over night sights in a low light/no light scenario unless you have excellent vision, which most of us do not due to age.

Lazers are probably the best training aid for a new shooter to pistols. When I started training my oldest when he was 5 I trained him on my P22 that I bought with the factory lazer. Lollipop the lazer to the sights and it is sooooo easy to train proper sight picture.

Now at the age of 7 he shoots the XD9 all on his own......

I would put one on the pistol that I kept under my pillow!! :s0129:

Yes I think they are helpful by reducing time to acquire target.
I prefer Laser/light combos, the strobing feature of most lights can be very disorienting!
Depending on the model and its design aiming the laser can be a practice in futility!

I like this laser/light <broken link removed>

So you ordered this light/laser? I've been reading reviews and I'm afraid to order from them. I know there's always p-d off customers, but I haven't heard/read anything good about them yet.
But their prices are far cheaper than anyone elses.
Let me know?

I have not order through this company yet but a friend of mine who is also a member of this board, did purchase this light through them and gave me the link for the light, as I plan to get one for my Glock 20

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top