JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sorry i didnt elaborate, for what its worth my lady found and picked the EZ herself.

and my assumptions are a lot of women will like this firearm because of size, ease of use, and safety features. and sure, shes gotta try it on in the store first.

For me (from first hand experience) its easy to recommend this to try out for a first time female firearm purchase instead of listing a sea of gun options during a gun rush.

also from my lady, "glocks are ugly" lol.
Mine apparently is a Glock fangirl.
G19 came in 2nd.

If you utilize a range with a nice rental fleet
, you start a "rental session" and keep trying different models for one rental fee.
It is way more effective than the "gun store fondle".
It might "feel good" in the store, but shooting it could be a different story altogether.

You know, I have seen ONE female ever working a gun counter, at a Bi-Mart no less. (yuk).
She did not impress me as being that well versed in the specifics of firearms capabilities as it relates to lethal force. She did know what was in stock at the store.
Not to say this has anything to do with gender, there are plenty of wannabes behind gun counters regardless of internal plumbing.

Sorry but I have to point out that the priorities seem to be a bit skewed here.

What are we really doing here ?

Is this just an outing to buy a gadget and chat with a gal or is this an important quest to augment her abilities to defend herself in a life threatening encounter ?

She may need to suck it up a bit.
Especially when considering that December 7, Pearl Harbor Day is coming.

Since she has an aversion to going mano / femano (ya probably not a real word) perhaps she could take a female friend with her that would be capable of providing serious input .

Last Edited:
No real recommendation for a specific pistol, BUT something to consider (and a really great idea for trying out rentals) HOW EASY IS IT TO LOAD THE MAGS!
NO pistol is gonna pass muster here is she cannot charge her mags with ammo!
Wifey went through several pistols, both rentals and pistols at the gun counters, some were easier then others to cycle, BUT, when she went to charge her mag, things went sideways, some were flat out impossible for her! One thing we also noticed was Caliber made a YUGE difference here, with the .40 and .45 being much easier ( Though some were still rough) ultimately, the first one she ended up with was the Taurus 24/7 and then later, the Para Warthog Compact .45 which is now what she runs exclusively! We found she not only could run the pistol much better, but the .45 was less snappier then the 9mm or .40, and finally, the Para is MUCH easier to Cycle and Charge the mags! It's not a particularly light pistol, even being a compact, but it's balanced and sure, and she shoots it very well, which at the end of the day is the whole goal! We fitted it with really awesome night sights, and got a better set of grips and it really rocks now! The final plus, is it's a 1911, the the manual of arms is stupid proof easy!

This is not the time to be the princess and the pea. Beggars can't be choosers. A DA .38 could well be at least a viable and timely stopgap if she has the strength and mental capacity to operate a cylinder latch.

No real recommendation for a specific pistol, BUT something to consider (and a really great idea for trying out rentals) HOW EASY IS IT TO LOAD THE MAGS!
NO pistol is gonna pass muster here is she cannot charge her mags with ammo!
Wifey went through several pistols, both rentals and pistols at the gun counters, some were easier then others to cycle, BUT, when she went to charge her mag, things went sideways, some were flat out impossible for her! One thing we also noticed was Caliber made a YUGE difference here, with the .40 and .45 being much easier ( Though some were still rough) ultimately, the first one she ended up with was the Taurus 24/7 and then later, the Para Warthog Compact .45 which is now what she runs exclusively! We found she not only could run the pistol much better, but the .45 was less snappier then the 9mm or .40, and finally, the Para is MUCH easier to Cycle and Charge the mags! It's not a particularly light pistol, even being a compact, but it's balanced and sure, and she shoots it very well, which at the end of the day is the whole goal! We fitted it with really awesome night sights, and got a better set of grips and it really rocks now! The final plus, is it's a 1911, the the manual of arms is stupid proof easy!
Loading mags with a MagLULA makes mag loading a non-issue.

This is not the time to be the princess and the pea. Beggars can't be choosers. A DA .38 could well be at least a viable and timely stopgap if she has the strength and mental capacity to operate a cylinder latch.
This!

Cate

You know, I have seen ONE female ever working a gun counter, at a Bi-Mart no less. (yuk).
She did not impress me as being that well versed in the specifics of firearms capabilities as it relates to lethal force. She did know what was in stock at the store.
Not to say this has anything to do with gender, there are plenty of wannabes behind gun counters regardless of internal plumbing.

Is this just an outing to buy a gadget and chat with a gal or is this an important quest to augment her abilities to defend herself in a life threatening encounter ?

Since she has an aversion to going mano / femano (ya probably not a real word) perhaps she could take a female friend with her that would be capable of providing serious input .
This too!

Cate

Maybe the buyer no matter IF it is a female or a male should do some RESEARCH on what they like or don't like when it comes to a firearm. You know like STUDY the issues about shooting/firearms/self defense/etc. AND read and talk to people about such matters.

Like LONG, long before (Timewise!) they intend to buy their FIRST firearm of any type, style, caliber and brand.

Can the buyer actually try out a friend's or relative's guns or rent one?

NOT all states and counties have stores where you can RENT a gun too. And in some very rural areas - you would find it difficult to find such a store even with an indoor range. Been there - done that but I found one where I used to live with my late husband. Plus my Sportsman's Club - outdoor range too. (Back east - late 90's and on.)

I can't speak for the PNW here when it comes to your stores on the COAST.

Have the lady or gentleman CHOOSE THEIR OWN GUN!

And IF they don't find one that suits them or that they really like to USE and shoot... maybe they should WAIT to find what suits them! Uh huh.

GET SOME PEPPER SPRAY, a baseball bat and/or LEARN HOW TO USE A KNIFE PROPERLY or all 3 things!

I can 'hear' the backlash here! LOL

OH well, too bad - so sad.

With that said, I do AGREE with the poster - CD on getting a nice d/a revolver and IF a 38Special LOAD bothers the BUYER - let them try out a 22lr or 22wmr first.

I would say a single action revolver IF the person has the brains and common sense to use one in a safe manner too. Pretty dang simple in MY opinion.

And who says that the BUYER INTENDS TO CONCEAL OR OPEN CARRY a handgun for sure?

Maybe the BUYER mainly wants a firearm for HOME DEFENSE.

She or he can get a VERY simple and PLAIN RIFLE for that in a bolt action or in a lever action!

Crikey, someone could get something like a SAVAGE RASCAL bolt action rifle - single shot in a 22lr UNTIL they find something else that they really want and need.

And if she/he wants a shotgun - go for it IF they have one that they can handle due to ANY PHYSICAL issues there - proper gauge or bore and load that suits THEM as an individual.

ALL of the people, women and men, RUSHING OUT AT THE LAST MINUTE to buy guns or A FIRST GUN when they did not give a rat's @@@ in all of those YEARS unless they were TOO YOUNG TO BUY A GUN when it came to the SECOND AMENDMENT or remained CLUELESS when it came to BASIC self defense issues UNLESS they used a spouse's or another family member's GUNS crack me up.

NO offense and I do NOT mean to be RUDE HERE.

Furthermore, if a NEWBIE really does NOT have the INTEREST, time, money for ammunition, CLEANS their OWN GUN after being TAUGHT THESE THINGS and self discipline to PRACTICE and become a safe shooter on a fairly regular basis - I wonder just how much they REALLY WANT TO BECOME A PROFICIENT SHOOTER AS A FIRST TIME FIREARM OWNER no matter what BRAND, MODEL, CALIBER AND STYLE OF GUN that they choose for their FIRST GUN?!!

And I do REALIZE that not everyone researched and studied these issues LONG before they bought their own first gun and other guns too as I did too.

ALL of us are different.

It cracks me up on how some people always want to push semi automatic pistols over d/a and s/a revolvers and other types of firearms too.

What suits YOU may not suit the BUYER be it a man or a woman with or without ANY physical disabilities from a to z or even range of motion ISSUES.

I never gave a dang if a MAN or a WOMAN waited on ME as a first time gun buyer.

I was NEVER EVER TREATED LIKE DUNG by an FFL man or any gun salesman or gun saleswoman (MY FFL man's wife.) back east OR out west.

I KNEW what I liked and did not like as a FIRST TIME BUYER even if I had only shot my late husband's sweet d/a revolver with only a few rounds out of it.

I liked the GLOCK 19. GENERATION 3 - LATE 90's. OMG - it only held 10 rounds in a magazine. LOL - How did I live with that?! NO offense to those who do not know their DATES when it comes to GUN LAWS. Late 90's and on is when I was BUYING.

I liked SEVERAL SMITH and WESSON d/a revolvers in several calibers and 2 S&W semi automatic pistols = Model 41 and 22A.

I liked the RUGER single action revolvers in 22r/22wmr, 45Long Colt and 357Magnum.

I liked VERY SPECIFIC lever action rifles in various calibers OVER THE YEARS and the Marlin Papoose but I always preferred the lever action rifles until I discovered the CZ bolt action rifles that suited me later on in life.

I still like them BOTH but I do not own the BEAUTIFUL, sweet heavy lever action rifles any longer.

The last 2 firearms of mine = the CZ bolt action rifles are gifted to my husband but I still shoot them on and off.

CZ 457 Lux in 22lr and 22wmr using IRON SIGHTS.

Best wishes to any first time buyers at any age. MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS and take advice with a grain of salt. And if you choose to become a GUN OWNER - take it seriously.

Old Lady Cate
ADDED more and typos.

Last Edited:

My MAIN FFL SALESMAN back east was a man. He was in another county/township and about 33 some miles from my former RURAL house one way via the turnpike if I went that way.

He was the owner's son. CC was a younger man compared to me in my late 40's at the time. Late 90's. CC was a champion shooter and in black powder too. Camp Perry, etc. Outstanding hunter - fisherman. Smart and kind man.

CC was NOT pushy or treated ANY PERSON in a condescending way. I was a NEWBIE but I knew what I liked and did not like.

(Plus another man close to the lake let me try out his guns too. Another gun club.)

You don't make LIFE LONG customers, repeat customers, etc. if you treat any person, a man or a woman, like dung. I bought about 15 firearms from CC and used their indoor range too. I used them when a rifle was gifted to an old friend from here in MT to there in that former state. FFL to FFL - I TRUSTED THEM.

I was ASKED to join several ranges - private ones - clubs, etc. too. INVITE ONLY by one in another county closer to my VERY RURAL house too. I joined that one and had to be APPROVED. I made lots of friends there and in other places IN state and in other states too. Shooting on private and on public lands.

CC was very smart in guns and offered advice if asked and explained some things to me when I asked HIM. I brought in my BIG Gun Digest, my firearm brochures that I ordered, some books, etc. and asked to SEE and handle different firearms LONG BEFORE I bought my first gun.

My late husband did go with me a few times but not much. He told CC that I was THE BUYER when CC asked if he could help 'us'. We walked up to the counter at the same time. So we went from there - CC and me! My husband just listened and paid attention. CC saw my post it notes, book marks and lined paper when I asked to see such and such guns if he had them IN STOCK.

The store owner (CC's Dad.) was a man who was in the military where my late husband was. The owner and his store had a good reputation but my husband did not know the owner well or WORK WITH HIM at the airport. This was NOT my late husband's USN destroyer time in Nam and all around the world but in the AIR NG Fighter Wing in another section - same wing. My late husband had a NON .gov job too.

CC was my main salesman from the gitgo. I will always be grateful to him and how it was a PLEASURE to work with him when I was a NEWBIE.

When he was busy and if something came in and he did not have the time to call me asap, he asked his wife (A very smart lady in GUNS and good shooter.) to call me about one of MY special orders OR if something came in that I was interested in but they did not have IN STOCK.

As one example, a specific lever action rifle (Browning BL 22 or a Winchester 94-22.) or a S&W Model 317 kit gun. They would even set such and such aside if it was NOT a special order of mine just so I could see it on Friday after work. So it was not handled. They wiped all guns down after people handled them too. I asked if I would be held to buy something that was NOT a special order of mine and if they PUT IT ASIDE for me to look at first. I was NOT liable to buy any item but they still put it aside for me. THEY KNEW that I personally wanted to see and HOLD/HANDLE any gun that I had not seen just to see how it FIT ME plus with my handicap issues. THEY understood ME and knew my tastes in guns and were NOT PUSHY ever.

BEFORE the Glock was bought (See my other post here in this thread.), I asked CC if he would go into the range with me or 'us' and show me how this pistol worked again with a target, the ammunition, etc. even if I had ALREADY been taught gun safety and so forth. He said that he would do this. And from MY first shot and ON - that Glock was a shooter RIGHT OUT OF THE NIB BOX and I was shocked that I could actually hit the TARGET that WELL at various distances. CC looked at my husband and BOTH MEN SMILED and I had a GRIN ON MY FACE that took HOURS to go away! LOL

I had confidence even as a NEWBIE and for all of these years - one thing that I was always told back east and out west was that I was always a SAFE shooter and obeyed the rules of gun safety from a to z.

I ALWAYS took shooting a gun seriously even if I was not competing or PLINKING with old and new shooting friends. At private and public ranges. At clubs. Indoors and outdoors back east and out west. Plus on BLM land in Colorado - Grand Junction area.

Anyway, I think that if a NEWBIE or an oldie - long time shooter wants to LOOK and see what a gun store has in stock - they should have some IDEA what they want from the gitgo.

And if they have NO clue and need direction and HELP from a sales person - they should not be BIASED and only think that they need a female sales person if they are a female. I think that is a bunch of SALAMI today just as I did when women were talking about burning their bras when I was a younger lady. (I am 72 years old.) Are woke females that SENSITIVE?! NO offense here.

I personally DO NOT and NEVER DID UNDERSTAND HOW SOME WOMEN feel that they need a LADY to help them if a GENTLEMAN can help them just as easily and be kind/smart to them and give them GOOD advice.

With that said, there can be good and bad sales people too.

But I think that all of this sensitive feelings stuff is just plain GARBAGE when it comes to some ladies and men and with some who don't know what the heck they are too!

I have MY favorite sales people out here and FFL dealers. They KNOW ME and they know my MT husband too.

I will go out of my way and sometimes pay MORE to get good service and ORDER special orders in the past and present for my husband and myself too.

Good post of yours and thank you!

Cate

What's the deal with Portland and all the LGS/ "local grocery stores" selling guns stuff??

Ace Ventura GIF

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top