JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quinoa is a seed of a tall, leafy plant that is not a cereal grass...making it a sort of pseudo grain (like buckwheat). To me it's got a light nutty flavor on its own that is easily overpowered by even the addition of a cooking fat. It's got all 9 essential amino acids, is low GI, contains more fiber than yellow corn, and contains a good amount of minerals (data: Quinoa 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits).

Just reading that makes me want to get some now. But I don't think Winco carries it in bulk. Sound like a racket to me if not?....Mix with some lentils, greens...Mmm.

I read it was in the spinach and beetroot family. The seedheads do look like spinach when it goes to seed.

I haven't eaten a hamburger, french fries, tater tots, potato chips or anything like it in months. :)

My condolences.:( Dammit, I'm 64, and eating a moderately healthy diet that includes fatty, beefy, porky goodness in NOT large quantities. And I'm pretty lucky though. I'm reasonably active, normal weight for height, mild high BP that's well controlled. Organs all functioning properly. It's the frame that's cracking, so. If eating what I enjoy and crave is going to kill me, well, so be it.

My condolences.:( Dammit, I'm 64, and eating a moderately healthy diet that includes fatty, beefy, porky goodness in NOT large quantities. And I'm pretty lucky though. I'm reasonably active, normal weight for height, mild high BP that's well controlled. Organs all functioning properly. It's the frame that's cracking, so. If eating what I enjoy and crave is going to kill me, well, so be it.

Food for me is just something needed to live. I don't find enjoyment in being "full" or "stuffed" and I don't really care about eating out or anything. Most of my meals could barely qualify as a "meal" by most people's standards. I think too many folks (not pointed at you brother) have a way too serious relationship with their food and drink.

Don't get me wrong, I like good food and enjoy it. But my life doesn't revolve around looking forward to my next meal or getting all excited to go to my favorite restaurant.

I don't have a favorite restaurant. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I used to be way more in to food (and drink). But life is short and changes were needed. It's a whole new perspective now. :)

Try making that quinoa with a flavored base like beef or chicken, might be surprised at how it turns out. The wife makes it regularly, part of her diet, being from the land of ancient grains and all, so we've learned ways to make it more palatable for me.

Yup, the first time I tried it, I cooked it in chicken broth.... tasted just like quinoa with chicken broth... throw away the quinoa and drink the broth!! ;):):)

Quinoa is a seed of a tall, leafy plant that is not a cereal grass...making it a sort of pseudo grain (like buckwheat). To me it's got a light nutty flavor on its own that is easily overpowered by even the addition of a cooking fat. It's got all 9 essential amino acids, is low GI, contains more fiber than yellow corn, and contains a good amount of minerals (data: Quinoa 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits).

The Incan empire literally ran on this stuff. Ironically, it was the "food of the poor" in South America up until it became the hot new thing in the US. Supply and demand caused it's price to jump way higher than it should be in a stable market. Prices are down now from ~2015 but still over double what they were in ~2008.

I'm with @Mikej on this one. It's a good for you food that you can cook to bring out it's own subtle flavors or use to add some nutrient value to something else. I highly recommend it. But, yea...paying exorbitant prices for peasant food is a bit ridiculous.

Okay.... wanting it less and less all the time!!! :p;):D

Mix quinoa with brown rice, you'll not even notice it's there until it gets stuck between your teeth...

:s0092:

LOL, I like brown rice about the same as I like quinoa.

I eat white rice, soaked in mirin and cooled, with bits a fresh uncooked ahi, chinook or coho, giant sea scallops or cooked eel!!! The other way I eat it is with a good bit of Smart Balance, some light salt Kikoman soy sauce, lots of Tobasco, and cooked meat soaked in Original Yoshida's.

Last Edited:

I eat white rice, soaked in mirin and cooled, with bits a fresh uncooked ahi, chinook or coho, eel, or giant sea scallops!!! The other way I eat it is with a good bit of Smart Balance, some light salt Kikoman soy sauce, lots of Tobasco, and cooked meat soaked in Original Yoshida's.
mmm. Baked eel is effing fantastic. I wonder if I can get a raw eel somewhere to start learning to cook...;)

Mix quinoa with brown rice, you'll not even notice it's there until it gets stuck between your teeth...

:s0092:

That chia seed stuff.....In Triscuit Crackers. they get a gelatinous coating on the seed and is weird when the come out into your mouth an hour after you eat them. Tastes good though.:s0092:

I eat white rice, soaked in mirin and cooled, with bits a fresh uncooked ahi, chinook or coho, eel, or giant sea scallops!!! The other way I eat it is with a good bit of Smart Balance, some light salt Kikoman soy sauce, lots of Tobasco, and cooked meat soaked in Original Yoshida's.

That sounds sooo good.

Don't get me wrong, I like good food and enjoy it. But my life doesn't revolve around looking forward to my next meal or getting all excited to go to my favorite restaurant.

I don't have a favorite restaurant. :rolleyes:

I normally eat a meal when I get hungry and normally it's only twice a day, breakfast is my favorite meal, lunch is generally an apple or a piece of fruit and dinner is sometimes just what's left in the fridge.
I'm not a Chef Boinrdee type, I like to kill it, clean it & cook it... Simple is better.:s0116:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews