JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I keep my only AK or sell it?

• Sell it here at a good price!

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • WTF are you thinking ?

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Why have an AK when AR is where it’s at?

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Keep it and find a different way to get money!

Votes: 31 63.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
I am just curious what you think. I love the AK platform. I am in need of funds though and have contemplated getting rid of it. If I do get rid of it; I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the rifle, magazines and ammunition. It's a Romarm SAR1. Keep in mind that if I do get rid of it I eventually will have to get something to fill up it's role. What would you replace it with? Please don't just say something simple like an AR or another MSR. Heck pretend that you are a sales person and in order to feed your children you will have to convince me that the MSR you're suggesting is the best rifle for the role of replacing my SAR1.

You'll regret it....

This, pretty much.

It'd be different if you allready had other platforms plus mags and accessories for them, and allready new the reliability etc of such.

But going from a known to an unknown?

I'm honestly not seeing the immediate savings.

Plus then there is the ammunition price.

Figure around $.20/rd for AK47 platform, vs $.28-.$35/rd for AR15 platform to $.45-$.55/rd for .308 platform.

I have both AK and AR. Part of my thoughts are sticking to one platform and caliber.

Ahh, then that is completely different. Makes more sense to consolidate into one, whichever platform works best for you.

If you want one again (whichever), then just go with the idea that someday you may be able to is all. Leave it at that, and don't pay mind to the media hype/politics of the day. Into the 2020 election cycle there will be a lot of scare tactics/hype, some may play out, some may not. Just stick to your plan, for you all, is what I mean.

Depends on just why you need the money...

If say for a house payment or food...then sell.
I have had to do that before....and as much as I regret losing a rifle...I don't want to get behind in a house payment , nor go hungry.

In the case of sticking with one caliber "platform" ...then as mention above , go with the one you like and or shoot the best.

That said...given today's political climate , if you sell your AK today...are you sure that you will be able to replace it , with one that has the same features , you like , tomorrow...?

Also something to consider , if you sell your AK , you'd have to change your screen name....:eek::D
Andy

As mentioned above, it depends on why you need the money. If it's possible to hang on till the next paycheck then that's the thing to do. I'm gonna go against the common wisdom of "consolidating" and instead think "diversification" (within reason) is the way to go. Figure if one kind of ammo becomes hard to get, maybe the other will still be available.

Honestly, between the AK and the AR, I would choose the AR if I had to choose one over the other. If you like the 7.62x39 round, you can have an AR in 7.62x39. But you can have many others too. One lower can give you access to many good calibers with simple swaps of an upper - which can be bought without the hassle and cost of a BGC. Costs, right now, for AR parts and accessories are very reasonable and you can add what you want as funds allow. Add a 2nd lower, that will take a .308 upper and you add some more options for calibers with still only 2 actual 'firearms'. I love the modularity of AR's for that reason.

That said, if you really love that AK, and you did say you have an AR already, right? Why not sell the AR you may not love, and keep the AK you do love. You can always add the AR back later when the funds are available, if you want. And most likely, your AR isn't perhaps as special to you as that AK appears to be.

We've all sold guns we've regretted selling. If you love that AK, keep it and see what else you can sell in the short term. Make that AK the last one you sell, if you really need to, and you'll perhaps have less regret - and you won't have to change your screen name ;)

I have both AK and AR. Part of my thoughts are sticking to one platform and caliber.

IMHO that's a mistake.

In rifles calibers I run 22LR, 5.56, .308/7.62 NATO, & 7.62x39.

Shotguns are 12ga

Pistols are 9mm, 45ACP, and 357/38

I do this for the (awesome) versatility & the ubiquitous nature of those calibers in this country (plus my years of training and service time using all of them) but as we've seen during the cycles of panic-buying, certain "dry spells" do occur (remember the runs on 9mm, 5.56, .308, and 22LR?)

All through the last (joke of a) "presidency" I was never once without enough ammo (or firearms), because I diversified and "stacked it deep" while it was (relatively) "cheap".

I'm repeating that process right now while it's a buyers' market again.... ;)

I've been contemplating getting a .50BMG AR upper before the ATF goes through with their "rule changes" again on them.... :cool:

If it's a temporary situation, find a good buddy who will buy it with a handshake agreement for buying back.

I've done both.

Keep it. It's the cheapest centerfire to shoot. If you sell it, you'll want another before long.

This, I had to build a couple AR uppers in 7.62x39 to take advantage of the cheap trigger time the cartridge allows. I did this mainly because the right AK deal had not come along and still hasn't. If you like the Ak and it is a good shooter I would probably keep it and sell something else. I think it is much harder to find a good AK right now than a good AR for the same amount of money. It is a buyers market for AR's right now. Not so much for AK's.

I'd add that if you absolutely have to sell one, but think you'd need/want to replace it soonish, the AR would probably be the one to sell (unless it's some unusual variation) if only because they can be replaced so easily and cheaply these days. It used to be an AR would tend to be $600+ and an AK could had for around $350, now it's pretty much the other way around.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top