JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the MP5 is going to be discontinued, your answer is there, and genuine HK only.
I bought my nickel P7M13 for $1200. Everyone thought I was nuts. Sold it a year later for $1250 at the insistence of my then wife. They discontinued it the next month. Last i checked, they were selling for north of $7K.
The learning lesson here is not to listen to wives…

I have 3 m1 garands, one personal and two for investment. I am debating whether I should sell/trade one for an mp5. Everyone says they are gonna go up in value but are they really? I feel like over the past few years they have increased but not enough to warrant a long term investment.
Personally I would sell one garand to fund the purchase of something else I really wanted. Especially if I owned three of them. I bought my one and only garand for shooting and not as an investment and enjoy taking it to the range and showing if off and let others shoot it as well. More often than not someone will offer to buy it off me after shooting it. Not selling this one.

ME thinks that.......
You're doing it WRONG.

You NEED at least one from every American manufacturer.

Then add......
An M1D
A "gas trap"
A Tanker (Yes, they are FAKE but what the hell)
Foreign manufactured model.
Maybe a few "mis-stamped freaks" and/or rare experimental models
And perhaps a progression of the concept (M14 or M1a, BM 59)
Wanna be M1s (from other countries).
Etc.... etc.....

Aloha, Mark

Taking a longer view of things, the M1 Rifle may escape "assault rifle" bans for a while yet.

CMP has relentlessly raised the prices of M1 Rifles over the past 20 years, some due to inflation. Some due to catch-up to market prices so as to cash in on what private sellers were getting. Up until now, CMP has been able to find ways to keep the supply of rifles entering the marketplace, so scarcity is offset to some extent. How many more generations will be fascinated by WW2 stuff is hard to know. It's bound to taper off some day. As an example, adjusted for inflation, the market for Winchester Model 12's isn't what it used to be. Old things go up, but most have a plateau somewhere. Collectible prices to some extent are generationally driven due to nostalgia factor. The last living members of a generation die, some of the demand goes with them.

Condition is everything in collectible guns, M1 Rifles being no exception. Investment grade rifles command premiums. So long as appreciation persists, these will go up in greater measure than ordinary or lower condition grade guns.

In western coastal states, investment liquidity has been seriously diminished by legal enactments that regulate firearms. Similar restraints on a federal level lurk as a potential in the future.

I have 3 m1 garands, one personal and two for investment. I am debating whether I should sell/trade one for an mp5. Everyone says they are gonna go up in value but are they really? I feel like over the past few years they have increased but not enough to warrant a long term investment.
I guess it depends on how much you want to profit. And how much you want that MP5.

If I had three good operational Garands, I'd trade one off for a genuine MP5. Theoretically. Then of course there's the matter of magazines and ammo... If M1 rifles are part of your long-term shtf armory, I'd have no fewer than two, personally. I dunno what you actually have, but a quality AR15 with ammo and a stack 0 mags should be in your closet.....

Last Edited:
If I had three good operational Garands, I'd trade one off for a genuine MP5. Theoretically. Then of course there's the matter of magazines and ammo... If M1 rifles are part of your long-term shtf armory, I'd have no fewer than two, personally. I dunno what you actually have, but a quality AR15 with ammo and a stack 0 mags should be in your closet.....
A genuine mp5 from hk is gonna be like 2.5-3.5k. 1 is not worth that unless it was some crazy low serial or the m1d

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top