JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just wanted to say Yay....got my small game license today and am looking forward to Grouse Season this year.
To all who go out hunting this year , big game , small game or birds / waterfowl...best of luck and have a safe season.
Andy

Where do you like to go for grouse?
Just outside the wide spot in the road known as Acme Washington...
Is Van Zandt Dike 900 odd acres of public land...lots of deer , bear and grouse...some elk and cougar as well.
That is where I usually hunt...Grouse Butte in the Mt. Baker Wilderness area is another good spot.
Andy

I'm looking forward to squirrels this year. Maybe a grouse or two.... Didn't get any big game tags this year so it's all about the little guys

Grouse hunting was my first ever hunt, I quite enjoyed it. I still remember having this big one right in my sights, I hesitated... it got away. Lesson learned.

What is your hunting weapon of choice for grouse?

-Robert

Grouse hunting was my first ever hunt, I quite enjoyed it. I still remember having this big one right in my sights, I hesitated... it got away. Lesson learned.

What is your hunting weapon of choice for grouse?

-Robert
Hunting weapon of choice....tough call...
The last grouse I got was with my antique flintlock fowler ( 20 gague )

I have taken grouse with my Hawken Rifle and various .22LR rifles...
My Granddad's 870 in 20 gauge is always a good choice as is my Winchester 37 ....

I also just got a Savage 24 in .22LR over 20 gauge that I think will work nicely....

If pressed for one choice...
Granddad's 870...its from 1962 and was my first gun...lots of memories with it for sure.
Andy

I also just got a Savage 24 in .22LR over 20 gauge that I think will work nicely....
The Savage 24 in .22LR over 20ga was the first firearm that my Father bought for his sons. As luck would have it, my Brother didn't enjoy wandering in the wilderness and we were surrounded by it.

I would carry the Savage in hand, and an Eagle Claw Pack Rod across my back on the my way to fish the crEEK (or crICK). :) On a good day, I could get a small fire going and have a fowl (not foul) snack while waiting for the fish to bite.

I didn't have a bird dog...or at least a dog that would share the bird. I had to move fast to secure the grouse, or my hunting partner would eat it on the spot. She was a good dog, just not the best grouse hunting partner.

Being preteen, the weight of the Savage was an issue on the trip home. It was heavier, for some reason, on the steep inclines. :D I loved packing it and got to a point that I was hitting most of the neck and head shots with the .22LR. It was nice to have the 20ga as a backup...but that little selector on the hammer was rough on the thumb.

I hope You enjoy your Savage 24 as much as I enjoyed mine and I hope that your dog/cat/goldfish is a better hunting partner than my dog was...pretty sure it would be... :oops:

Last Edited:
@MTpockets
Neat story...thank you for that.
I've been
wanting a Savage 24 for a long while now...lucked into this one...and looking forward to shooting and hunting with it.

@Reno
Grouse hunting is a lot like hiking with a cool gun...sounds like we are on the same page for sure.
Andy

I used a .22 pellet pistol for grouse while deer hunting in Idaho. A 22lr here in NE OR for Franklin/Blue grouse sitting on stumps or branches. And a 20ga o/u for Ruff Grouse on the wing. No dog, you shoot it, you find it. After the big gun sale to pay divorce lawyers, I used a Moss 500 12ga, but it swings too slow for Ruffs and is heavy to tote over hill/dale.

Most people around here road hunt for grooses.

I did shoot one while moving on the road from elk camp to the hunting spot. Ruff came out of the brush, held real still, and I nailed him with my Glock 19. True story...

@bbbass

I'd be interested in using a pellet rifle for grouse...but that ain't legal here in Washington
That said a good fitting 20 gauge is tough to beat for grouse....but a .22Lr rifle ain't a bad choice either.

Yep...see lots of road hunters....not for me.

I have no doubt you got 'em with your Glock...I have seen shots like that before... :D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads