JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted a small pocket 9mm due to the easy of CC. So I sold my glock and bought a Kahr CM9.....I'm broke and couldn't afford to purchase another gun outright. So, initially when looking at one in a store I liked the way it fit my hand, the weight, feel, everything. I dry fired it and thought the pull was long but I could get used to it. So I ordered one. It arrived.....and I took it out today. First I noticed it shot low. Apparently this is common. So the trigger pull was just too damn long. My main pistol experience is shooting 1911's, and glocks, so this was very different.

I am concerned that I may not get used to this trigger. I could't keep all 7 rounds inside an 8" group at about 10 yards, maybe 5 out of 7 would group within the 8". To me this is unacceptable. Being a carry gun I want to be able to accurately hit my target, not some poor bystander. I put 200 rounds through it, and my feel for the trigger didn't seem to improve. Is this just the nature of the beast? Does anyone have any tips on becoming comfortable with this trigger? I'd like to keep this pistol, but to keep it I need to become more proficient with it. Practice practice practice, I know, but damn that pull is a mile long.

No advice for you, but for what it's worth... I'm in the same boat.

I recently switched out from a full size double stack pistol to a P9. I was able to carry a CW9 for a while, and I wasn't anywhere near as acurate as with my M&P9.

Long story short after lengthy research I've come to the conclusion that the CW9 & P9 pistols are perfect for carry guns. But the Kahr line does have long trigger pulls.

Some thoughts: Your barrel and light of sight are much smaller than on your glock which will create more effort on your part to hit your target. It's also about half the weight. Plus you're dealing with a different style of trigger than the glock.

What I'm planning on doing is "large volume of rounds". And get used to the trigger.

Also, spend $10 and get a Hogue Handall Jr grip. It makes a tremendous difference.

I also have a P9 and like it very much, however, the long pull takes some practice. I can generally keep a 4" group at 15 yards and I am not very good. My brother can easily keep a 2" group with the same gun; so it is not the gun :( He normally shoots Sigs.
I am under the impression from somewhere that you can have Kahr modify the trigger for a shorter pull but have not looked into it.

I played around with it tonight.....dry firing and accessing my grip on the pistol. I have concluded that my finger is too thick for the pistol. At the end of the trigger pull, the majority of my finger pressure is bring applied to the top of the trigger, specifically the point that contacts the frame when the trigger is at rest. With the trigger being a lever, at the end of the trigger pull, the leverage is changing due to the pressure point change. Not to mention its just damn uncomfortable. I'll take a pic tomorrow and it will explain everything. But as it stands, this will be a deal breaker if it cannot be remedied.

Try the Handall Jr grip sleeve by Hogue makes the active point of the trigger occur further out from your palm. This also improved natural point of aim for me raising it from naturally too low. Still my Kahr tends to hit a little low and man that trigger is loooooong.

When playing with the grip I came to the conclusion that even with the added length of the Jr. grip my finger will still be to fat. I have an idea though..........I'm sure the frame is a thermoplastic......add a little heat and a small change to the trigger guard contour and my finger will have more room

First, let me apologize for the poor quality of the pictures......my phone isn't the greatest.

In the picture below, my finger is putting the most force on the pointy/sharp part of the trigger that rests on the frame when at the bottom of the trigger pull. This makes for a drastic change in the feel of the pull as well as being slightly uncomfortable having my finger poked by the top of the trigger.

0326121035.jpg

The remedy was to slightly reshape the trigger guard. Injection molding uses thermoplastics, when thermoplastics are heated they soften, and when cooled they harden. So I lightly heated up the trigger guard and reshaped it to allow for more finger clearance between the top of the trigger and the trigger guard. Now, when I pull the trigger, the sharp part of the trigger is on top of my finger. I feel like a little more clearance would be nice, but I will shoot it like this and see how it feels before going any further.

0326121050.jpg

The top of the trigger that I refer to.
0326121053.jpg

The reshaped trigger guard
0326121038.jpg

0326121035.jpg

0326121050.jpg

0326121038.jpg

0326121053.jpg

You might also try pulling the trigger with the pad of your finger instead of the inside of your first knuckle. This might help your finger from being poked and keep your shots from hitting low.

Just watch the classified here and at outdoors trader, many a Kahr changes hands. I too am guilty of the "I'll get used to the long crappy trigger pull." I never did, sold it after 3 weeks. Loved the size, the weight, the ergos, but that trigger was just putrid.
I'd shoot an M&P or a Glock or even an 870 pump and wonder why Kahr couldn't put a decent trigger inside that beautiful TP40.
But hey, who knows, you may grow to like yours.

Last Edited:
You might also try pulling the trigger with the pad of your finger instead of the inside of your first knuckle. This might help your finger from being poked and keep your shots from hitting low.

The thing is this is a small CC pistol, and I have big hands. I am not going to try and adjust the way I hold the gun, this is a gun I want to be able to grab and shoot somewhat accurately without having to access my grip.

I think I can get used to the long pull if I can get my finger to pull the trigger without the point at the top of the trigger jabbing my finger.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Seriously, though.....I've carried two Khars now, and I appreciate that long trigger. Remember the purpose of the pistol. Defensive carry. When you need this thing, you are going to be pumped up with adrenalin, shaking and sweating. You can pull halfway through and change your mind if possible. What you DON'T want (IMHO) is a light, short trigger that is accurate, but might result in an inadvertant discharge.

So the issue is not the long pull, but how my finger engaged the trigger at the end of the pull. Please refer to the pictures in my above post. At the end of the pull, my finger was being jabbed by the top of the trigger, see pic 1 for how my finger engaged the trigger that the end of the pull and picture 3 for the pointy part of the trigger when at the end of the pull. The majority of the force being put on the trigger was at the top where the point is, therefore changing the feel of the trigger as there was a change in leverage(where force was being applied to the trigger). So, I reshaped the trigger guard to allow for more clearance for my finger, which allowed it to sit lower on the trigger at the end of the pull. With my finger sitting lower on the trigger at the end of the pull there is no change in leverage, so no change in the feel of the trigger. Also, my finger doesn't get stuck with the point anymore.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Seriously, though.....I've carried two Khars now, and I appreciate that long trigger. Remember the purpose of the pistol. Defensive carry. When you need this thing, you are going to be pumped up with adrenalin, shaking and sweating. You can pull halfway through and change your mind if possible. What you DON'T want (IMHO) is a light, short trigger that is accurate, but might result in an inadvertant discharge.

See thats my point......when I need this pistol it will be in the heat of the moment.....so I don't want to have to remember to "pull the trigger with the pad of my finger". I want to be able to grab it, hold it how it naturally fits my hand and be able to shoot it somewhat accurately

First the good news. It looks like you have room the remove some metal at the top of the trigger. HOWEVER, contact Kahr first to see if they can help you with the trigger mods.
Bad news. Your trigger finger is so badly placed you will pull almost every shot down. You need to pull back the finger back to about mid-point on the pad. A houge grip will help a good bit with that

".....when I need this pistol it will be in the heat of the moment.....so I don't want to have to remember to "pull the trigger with the pad of my finger". I want to be able to grab it, hold it how it naturally fits my hand and be able to shoot it somewhat accurately."

This regardless of the firearm only occurs with a lot of practice drawing and presenting your weapon. With practice, slow and deliberate, at first, walking through every step making corrections as you do each part you will build muscle memory and be able to accomplish what you want.

You may also want to seek professional training to met your desires.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top