JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Still waiting for the Tasco.

Here is the Adco Mirage red/green "Multi-color dot reflex sight" , and mounted to my carry handle 6.5 Grendel SBR in next post.
Polarizing filter cap, scope end caps. Sun shade extender tube, and a sheet of paper with instructions and info.

DSCF6692.JPG DSCF6693.JPG DSCF6694.JPG DSCF6695.JPG DSCF6696.JPG DSCF6697.JPG DSCF6698.JPG DSCF6699.JPG

And mounted to the SBR with B-Square rings and carry handle mount :D so... retro! :s0140: we'll see how it handles the 6.5 Grendel SBR's recoil when I can.
DSCF6700.JPG DSCF6701.JPG DSCF6702.JPG DSCF6703.JPG
With polarizing filter cap on short length
DSCF6704.JPG DSCF6705.JPG
With sun shade extender tube and thread protector, no polarizing cap
DSCF6706.JPG DSCF6707.JPG
With sun shade extender and polarizing end cap

DSCF6708.JPG DSCF6709.JPG DSCF6710.JPG DSCF6711.JPG
With thread protector and shortest length possible; and red and green dot turned on.
Not bad for $67 shipped for a Japan made red dot sight with accessories and paperwork and original box.

On a rifle I would go Aimpoint or Eotech.

On bolt guns I normally spend 3X the amount of the gun on the scope/mount.

There's a tag on the back of the original box.

It was sold from Gander Mountain for the cool price of $159.99 in 07/01/96..

According to the inflation calculators, it works out to officially about $309.35 in today's economy...

There's a tag on the back of the original box.

It was sold from Gander Mountain for the cool price of $159.99 in 07/01/96..

According to the inflation calculators, it works out to officially about $309.35 in today's economy...

Inflation calculating rarely applies to tech items. IMO.

Simply due to technological advances over time.

Please note: rarely & IMO.

Inflation calculating rarely applies to tech items. IMO.

Simply due to technological advances over time.

Please note: rarely & IMO.
And then there's the Retro market... like Brownell's Retro 4x copy of the Colt 4X carry handle scope that was listed for $300 a while back (within last 5 years)

So if this scope was to be sold new at retail today with the same origins and quality (Japan made), it might be similarly priced, or be priced differently. Who knows?
Seems Ultradot is a similar product that's still being sold, made in Japan and is priced within $20 of what the inflation calculator says...

So after a week in the mail system.. my Tasco ProPoint arrived. Turns out the rings it came with are way too low for either the chintzy tri-rail, or the RRA Dominator 2 mount.. so I'm on the lookout for either a carry handle 30mm one piece mount, or a cantilever one piece mount that would let me 1/3 cowitness with the A2 style sights...

No model "PDP" stamping, no Made In wherever stamping... uses CR1/3N sized batteries.. battery compartment looks similar to the Aimpoint 2000 without the light gathering thing.
Very clear glass up front, sunshade extension is stuck on there good though.. polarizing filter is pretty cool. DSCF6752.JPG DSCF6753.JPG DSCF6754.JPG DSCF6755.JPG DSCF6756.JPG

A couple months ago.. when I couldn't afford it.. the local Flea Market had a vendor who had a bunch of SBR/pistol uppers.. one had a Trijicon ACOG on it.. and he was asking $375 for the assembly. It wasn't there last weekend unfortunately and I never saw anything like it at the Albany gun show either. if that ACOG was a real deal, original Trijicon and not a counterfeit scope... that was a hell of a good deal for whoever bought it.
there's no way that wasn't a dhgate special

Thread Resurrection, I wanna get an excellent entry level sighty for my 16" AR15 (5.56) that can do close and mid range. I been reading alot and I found this. I can use a better range sight than the iron sight that I;m using. Here is the specs and the rifle. Any takes?

Fits 20mm standard weaver and picatinny rails
2.5-10x40mm Mil-dot Rifle Scope

• Dimensions: 8.5x3x3inches
  • Weight: 20.5oz
  • Magnification: 2.5x-10x
  • Objective Diameter: 40mm
  • Lens Color: GreenBrightness
  • Control: Red: 5 levels/Green: 5 levels
  • Reticle Type: Mil-dot
  • Exit Pupil: [email protected], 4mm@10x
  • Field of View: 100 yards of 32.5'@2.5x - 8.9'@10x
  • Eye Relief: [email protected]; 76.2mm@10x
  • Click Value: 1/4inch@100 yards
  • Finish: Black matteLaser Power: 2mW
  • Laser Frequency: 532nmLaser Reaching
  • Distance: 100 yards
  • Battery Type: 1 x CR2032 (illumination), 3 x LR1130 (laser)
  • Click Value: 1/4inch@100Yds

1704052277857.png

1704052684997.jpeg

Thread Resurrection, I wanna get an excellent entry level sighty for my 16" AR15 (5.56) that can do close and mid range. I been reading alot and I found this. I can use a better range sight than the iron sight that I;m using. Here is the specs and the rifle. Any takes?

View attachment 1792377

View attachment 1792379
I have never used it but Pinty is a generic Chinese brand whose quality can range from garbage (I've had) to excellent (I have).

If you want good quality but inexpensive I would go with a 1-6x or 1-8x from swampfox or primary arms. I have the swampfox 1-8x and with code it's around $280ish. Works as a red dot or ultra clear 8x scope. Primary arms and swampfox appear to be the same scopes with different reticles and turret look.

For Pinty I found these red dots to be excellent for non "go to war" guns.

My 2 cents are like many things, you get what you pay for, but good research helps to define the finer points in your decision making. For me, I think of any optic or accessory I put on a weapon for defense, I think of my life or others may depend on it. Get the best you can afford. You don't need the latest and greatest, but something that will not have optical errors such as chromatic aberration, parallax, low light transmission, etc.

View attachment 1792377

View attachment 1792379
Not many things fit the description of " excellent " while staying under a hundo.
Having had more than a few sightmark/truglo/cabelas brand, I wouldn't bother with that one. Cheap red dot on a rimfire makes sense. Not worth it on a proper long gun.

Turns out I have mild astigmatism; the Japanese Tasco ProPoint blooms, but the also Japan made Adco Mirage doesn't; I have read that properly made holographic sights don't have astigmatism issues? I'm not sure. I do know one uses a laser, and the other uses a simpler LED.

I have a slightly higher than average disposable income, so I buy once and cry once. I have an astigmatism, so I rock the 1.5x ACOG.

A friend of mine recently got a Sig scope...1-6 if I recall correctly.

What I judge on LPVOs is the ability to run then CQB, meaning little to no magnification on the lowest setting.

I was impressed with the Sig, as it has just that on the lowest setting, and the glass is good.

No idea on overall quality or toughness.

If your on a budget avoid stuff that does more than one thing. Find a red dot that only has a red dot. The more features the cram into the same price point mean less quality features.

IMO that Pinty optic isnt "entry level", its a budget scope. Entry level is something basic that will last you forever and gets the job done albiet with less features or limited function. A budget item is whatever is cheapest, your iron sights are more "entry level" than that Pinty. Of course, this is my subjective opinon.

If you must stay in the ~$50 range try a UTG red dot optic. They get mixed reviews but they work just with less quality.
If you want a true entry level optic try a Primary Arms red dot. They will cost you a little more but have a good reputation for reliability and basic quality.

If your on a budget avoid stuff that does more than one thing. Find a red dot that only has a red dot. The more features the cram into the same price point mean less quality features.

IMO that Pinty optic isnt "entry level", its a budget scope. Entry level is something basic that will last you forever and gets the job done albiet with less features or limited function. A budget item is whatever is cheapest, your iron sights are more "entry level" than that Pinty. Of course, this is my subjective opinon.

If you must stay in the ~$50 range try a UTG red dot optic. They get mixed reviews but they work just with less quality.
If you want a true entry level optic try a Primary Arms red dot. They will cost you a little more but have a good reputation for reliability and basic quality.
This is very good tip! Exactly what you said my whole point too knowing and getting the right magnification and purpose that I'm gonna be using before I buy the high end. :s0090:

Thanks guys. I'll look more. There is a Leupold scope that I saw at Bi-Mart. It was very nice with a fair pricetag. A good thing about it is designed and excellent for really long range. I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna using that kind equipment for I been shooting further using an iron sight with a not so good vision anymore. I found out that I can shoot better with a bifocal glasses than progressive lens especially the ones I'm using are all real old-school "glass lens" which is difficult more difficult to see through than the new progressive polymers. Are there any scope that I can get and can aim clearly from 35 yard up to 350 yards?
These tactical rifles are not like the old-schools that I use alot when I was young and that was 37 years ago.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR