JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
$300 with mount. $280 without. According to Leupold page for the Freedom Red Dot series. $400 for the BDC with mount for the same basic scope.

Basically now a toss up between these and Aimpoint's ACO or PRO and used Eotechs.

$300 with mount. $280 without. According to Leupold page for the Freedom Red Dot series. $400 for the BDC with mount for the same basic scope.

Basically now a toss up between these and Aimpoint's ACO or PRO and used Eotechs.
A loopy at $400 is almost the price of the pro. If it were $250, loopy all day. I believe Euro Optic has the pro at $460.

My research indicates the pro is much better than the aco.

Because making your way down the alphabet to Eotech hurts your brain?
mila kunis burn GIF

Example of your price points: Aimpoint pro compared to Sig Romeo 5.

The Aimpoint pro is better (tougher, more and better night vision range of settings, longer battery life, more durable mount)

Sig Romeo 5 is a great optic for the price, and if cost were a concern, it would do well, and if buying 3 of them, it would be 1/3 the cost compared to buying Aimpoint pro's. The ability to use a regular aaa battery is nice.

Sometimes "good enough" is just that, and buying the better/best isn't needed.

Example of your price points: Aimpoint pro compared to Sig Romeo 5.

The Aimpoint pro is better (tougher, more and better night vision range of settings, longer battery life, more durable mount)

Sig Romeo 5 is a great optic for the price, and if cost were a concern, it would do well, and if buying 3 of them, it would be 1/3 the cost compared to buying Aimpoint pro's. The ability to use a regular aaa battery is nice.

Sometimes "good enough" is just that, and buying the better/best isn't needed.
The only issue with the Romeo 5 is that stupid tall mount it'd be lower 1/4 cowitness, if at all :s0140:

Also made by Holosun in China.
So... the Sig Romeo 7 is also Holosun Chinese?
download.jpeg

Which looks like the Aimpoint Comp M4 but cheaper...
download (1).jpeg

And then there's these two
Vortex Strikefire II and Primary Arms SLx Advanced Red Dot 30mm
81HG1n5yc1L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg PA-30MM-RED-DOT-COMPOSITION.jpg.optimal.jpg
Which are known Chinese copies of Aimpoint's Comp M2
aimpoint-optics-rangefinders-etc-aimpoint-compm2-red-dot-m68-cco-2107652374569__26302.15810048...jpg

However... I think I'm liking the Leupold Freedom RDS more and more now that I'm really thinking on it... the challenge would be to find a 34mm ring mount that can put it low enough.
opplanet-leupold-freedom-rds-1x34-34mm-red-dot-1-4-moa-dot-black-180091-main.jpeg

The only issue with the Romeo 5 is that stupid tall mount it'd be lower 1/4 cowitness, if at all :s0140:
It has two height mounts. I don't recall it being any different than typical 1/3 height cowitness mounts, but 45 degree offset sights are better than in line through the optic anyway so…

If I could only buy 1 red dot, it'd be the aimpoint, but as I said previously, the Sig R5 does a good job.

As someone else posted earlier. Comes with a bagful of mounts.
Etched reticle, auto on, excellent eye relief, pin sharp.
I have a couple of the 1X and a 3X. Often on sale for $200 ish and $250 respectively.
Or slap on a $300 Holosun 512 and call it good

Last Edited:
Looking at vintage red dots.... there's the usual Aimpoints, Trijicons, Mepro M21 reflex, then C-more reflex which on Ebay are all counterfeit and on Amazon apparently two different models of Railway rail mount reflex, one plastic and the other metal but it's Amazon....

Anyways.

Two brands I've been looking at because they're relatively cheap compared to the above...

Adco Mirage

Tasco Propoint

Both have older models that are labeled and etched "Made In Japan". Some of these have higher prices than they should, some are lower prices...

Anyone know what's up with these? One of the Tasco Propoint models looks similar to an old Aimpoint 2000 series, and the Adco Mirage looks fairly conventional if a bit small tubed (1" tube).

Another of the Tasco red dots made in Japan, has a big old body, similar to all the cheap airgun and shotgun big bodied red dot sights... unsure if I want that.

Edit. I know Japan has a great reputation for optics glass and components in the past... better than China at the least but.. I'm not sure how much better compared to new optics and glass from reputable companies..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top