JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for posting the Jedi video. I missed his class when he came to Oregon, hopefully I'll have another chance soon. He is pretty much the recognized authority on red dot handgun shooting, so some of the fudd-tastic expert comments on here are hilarious.
Even Scott would tell you that he is meant for entry level. I'd look at Matt pranka, bill blowers, any true competition trainers. JJ, stoeger, there are a ton. Jedi just runs a ton of classes and markets heavily but doesn't shoot competitively

It's not an eye thing, it's a grip/presentation thing. A practiced grip/presentation puts the dot in the window, aligned with the eye every time.
Anyone who wonders if they've got the grip/presentation stuff down pat, the following seems to be a fair test of your proficiency.

First, all the usual dry fire safety precautions are . . . well, first.
Face a mirror in a semi-darkened room (shapes visible, but no details); now draw down on the man in the mirror.

Did you have trouble finding the red dot? More grip/presentation practice is needed.
Did that red dot instantly appear nearly every time without a lot of wavering around? If so, that is great!

Me? I admit it's less than 50-50, so I'm still at the grip/presentation "practice, practice, mo practice" stage. Alibi: I just mounted my first red dot a couple days ago.

BTW, this may also a good drill for presentation with night sights, but maybe easier because they're visible & the eye can track them all the way onto target. Red dot, there's no clue "on the way up"; you're either on, or you're not.

Anyone who wonders if they've got the grip/presentation stuff down pat, the following seems to be a fair test of your proficiency.

First, all the usual dry fire safety precautions are . . . well, first.
Face a mirror in a semi-darkened room (shapes visible, but no details); now draw down on the man in the mirror.

Did you have trouble finding the red dot? More grip/presentation practice is needed.
Did that red dot instantly appear nearly every time without a lot of wavering around? If so, that is great!

Me? I admit it's less than 50-50, so I'm still at the grip/presentation "practice, practice, mo practice" stage. Alibi: I just mounted my first red dot a couple days ago.

BTW, this may also a good drill for presentation with night sights, but maybe easier because they're visible & the eye can track them all the way onto target. Red dot, there's no clue "on the way up"; you're either on, or you're not.
You can do this in a completely dark room. Just present the gun and the red dot should be aligned with your eye.

That's just hand/body coordination and is completely separate of trigger pulling. The brain strengthens those neural pathways of what we use repeatedly, which is why things we do repeatedly get easier over time because our brain is literally being amended to make it easier.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top