JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the higher price point, you're paying for build quality and durability.

That lower end dot might look as crisp as the Aimpoint PRO, but it certainly won't stand up to the abuse an Aimpoint can (those things are amazingly tough). That said, if it's just for target practice, no need to really splurge on a bulletproof optic.

At the higher price point, you're paying for build quality and durability.

That lower end dot might look as crisp as the Aimpoint PRO, but it certainly won't stand up to the abuse an Aimpoint can (those things are amazingly tough). That said, if it's just for target practice, no need to really splurge on a bulletproof optic.
I'm not planning to seriously go off and play at militia men and do combat drills :s0140: I'd likely die of cardiac arrest before the first mile of hard running in gear, due to my age and my general health. That said, target shooting and possibly self defense while camping or hiking in the wilds, probably the most "abuse". 🤔

Looking at possibly saving up or making more sales to acquire a decent red dot sight for the 16" AR carbine... I'm really liking the classic Aimpoint M2 looks but also kinda liking the Eotech style "heads up display" reflex sights.... the thing is... I'm wanting a Reticle to rail top height of 1.4" +/-0.01"; since that's the height of an Eotech 512 type sight that this rail is for....

Torn between waiting until June for Primary Arms' SLx Advanced Red dot; Vortex Optics' Strikefire II, Aimpoint ACO, Holosun reflex, used Eotechs.... Definitely not planning to slap a BSA RDS or Tru-Glo RDS :s0140:

The rail in question, RRA Dominator 2; designed for Eotech 512 series to get lower 1/3rd cowitness vs absolute cowitness. View attachment 1420411View attachment 1420412View attachment 1420413
Depends. The same red dot can be sold for $60 under one name and $140 under vortex name, and $169 under sig name or more possibly. Have to do your homework on any red dot but when you find one that's good and it's cheap only due to brand name (ie same product out of the same factory), get it. That applies only to non go to war optics though. If you are like me not every gun has to be at a "go to war" standard.

I have 6 of these red dots that I've used on 9mm, 223, .22 and 12 gauge. Rapid fire 12-20 rounds of drum mag 12 gauge is a good test. So far no failures and none have lost zero. Not bad for $12. The oldest 2 of them have been in use since 2016.

I also like the ADE micro green dots (same product as some other brands at 1/3 the price). I think they are still $65-$70ish on Amazon but it's been a while since I looked at prices.

Last Edited:
Yeah, I'm looking real hard at these...

Adco Mirage Japan made red dot

Tasco Pro Point older model, it looks remarkably similar in construction and setup to the old Aimpoint 2000 ...

Otherwise, it would be probably an Aimpoint ACO or PRO.... or the Primary Arms copy of the Comp M4

Edit. For a red dot sight, at what point does it make sense to spend less or more?
Depends all on you:

Is the rifle a airsoft, a safe queen, a plinker, a hunter, duty gun, or going into hard combat?

Personally, my red dot type sights are mounted on firearms that double as a "go to the BLM and blast stuff" and racoon & coyote dispatchers when they try to get my livestock at night.

My optics live an easy life, but that being said, have had my share of cheap dots failing, or never being to hold a zero.

So (personally) I don't buy cheap any more. Also, keep in mind the resale value (as your tastes may change)
Getting half of what you paid for a genuine ACOG is a lot more than half of some Chinese copy. And the genuine one will sell much faster.

I'm curious if this $219 vortex crossfire is the same optic as this $24ish Pinty. specs are basically identical Fe 1x22 11 step illumination. Pinty has another version with housing that looks almost the same as vortex one. I actually have the crossfire so I might buy the Pinty and compare. Crossfire says 2moa but imo it's 3 moa dot size.

Pinty has code "justfortoday20" which makes it around $18.50. I've noticed tons of vortex optics are simply Chinese with slightly different look. Having worked with Chinese manufacturers before I know they make the same product for anyone who wants to put their name on it and meets their minimum order requirements. They tweak look for brand differentiation (or not, in some cases). Hard to tell for sure until comparing side by side and looking at the innerds to some degree.

6E4914C4-0D33-42A4-B4DD-A128DF391225.jpeg 5E3D447E-5CCF-4866-BC4E-863EA9CAD522.jpeg

Last Edited:
If you can, get a mount that gets your head up...at least a 1/3 co-witness...but higher will be better. Less prone to hunch over or can't your head to one side to get into the optic.
It'll go on either the C7 carry handle 6.5 or the M4 flat top with RRA Dominator 2 Eotech mount with A2 rear sight, which puts eotechs at 1/3 cowitness or above. DSCF6574.JPG

So.I decided to roll the dice on these two really old, budget sights.

Tasco Propoint 1 (PDP1?) Made in Japan, has a very similar offset/angled battery compartment to the Aimpoint 2000 but not the light gathering thingy.

Adco Mirage reflex 1" multi-color sight from the late 80s, mid 90s, in box with paperwork. Also made in Japan.

I have carry handle rails for them for the C7A1 6.5 Grendel upper; so we'll see how they do.

I know Tasco's Japan optics were considered pretty good quality for budget optics back in the 80s-90s.. while certainly not on the level of Aimpoint, Trijicon, Mepro, Leupold or otherwise... They're gonna be pretty decent if they're functional and way better than most cheap red dots that aren't Japan made.

Edit. They'll do for range/test/looks at least until I decide I actually need red dot in quality/newer better brands like Aimpoint's ACO or PRO or similar later on. My primary will still be iron sights :D

The most noticeable difference will come when you are trying to passively aim whilst using NVGs.

You'll find there's visually nearly no difference between say a Holosun 403r VS an aimpoint T1/T2

Once you're passively aiming through them with NVGs however, you'll find the aimpoint has better light transmission through the optic as well as more adjustment for the brightness of the dot within the NVG modes.

The most noticeable difference will come when you are trying to passively aim whilst using NVGs.

You'll find there's visually nearly no difference between say a Holosun 403r VS an aimpoint T1/T2

Once you're passively aiming through them with NVGs however, you'll find the aimpoint has better light transmission through the optic as well as more adjustment for the brightness of the dot within the NVG modes.
I highly doubt that I'll ever splurge or invest into a set of NVGs/NVDs :)

I highly doubt that I'll ever splurge or invest into a set of NVGs/NVDs :)
I have over 4 of each, T1s/T2s and Holosun 403r's! They're both great! Today, we see "budget" options go to war in Ukraine all the time.

The T1 is decades old at this point and you're being ignorant of you don't believe such a product could be made for cheaper by a competitor while retaining 90% of functionality and reliability

Plus not every gun has to be a night vision gun right? Haha. It took me years to finally arrive to a simple monocular PVS14 setup. And even still, I actively aim using an IR laser anyways or use an Eotech if I really want to passively aim lol

Long story short, the cheaper dots have merit and especially the proven options (various Holosun, Sig, etc models) are contenders to take market share away from the old $500+ designs.

Last Edited:
Yeah, I would be OK with old Aimpoints if they weren't so dang "collectibles" now :rolleyes: there's a 2000 on Ebay being bidded on and it's already over $350... granted, these are more popular with the retro AR crowd because of Blackhawk Down, Blood Diamond, and a few others... :rolleyes:

But honestly... if I gotta fork over $280+? It better be damn new (Aimpoint PRO or ACO), or be a damn good deal for a functioning ACOG or Comp M2-M4s

That doesn't really help. You could be saying a $1,000+ optic always beat a $500 optics which always beats $150 optics, which always best $50 optics which beats open sights :rolleyes:

Edit. For a red dot sight, at what point does it make sense to spend less or more?
Night vision seems to be the biggest difference and where the "spend more" is needed. I like the Sig Romeo 5 for a budget red dot on a rifle, but if you look through an Aimpoint pro compared to the Sig Romeo 5, the lowest setting on the sig isn't really practical for night vision use, though they claim its a "night vision setting."

Night vision seems to be the biggest difference and where the "spend more" is needed. I like the Sig Romeo 5 for a budget red dot on a rifle, but if you look through an Aimpoint pro compared to the Sig Romeo 5, the lowest setting on the sig isn't really practical for night vision use, though they claim its a "night vision setting."
I don't plan on getting/acquiring night vision even though I have a helmet that has 1/2 of a mount for it already :rolleyes:

Then the $130 red dot would fit the bill.
I have two vintage red dots coming in the mail from Ebay :s0064:

A Tasco Propoint PDP1 Japan made, looks similar to Aimpoint 2000

And an Adco Mirage Reflex Multicolor; also Japan made.

Paid under $130 for both shipped. We'll see how functional they are and likely I'll keep one and sell the other depending on functions/features/looks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top