JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The dot is always in that little window of glass on mine….
I have noticed for a good while some seem to almost be trying to find ways to make the simple hard? :confused:
Before so many carry pistols came with the dot option I had seen many give instructions on finding the front sight. I used to watch these and think I never had trouble finding my front sight as it was, well, on the end of the barrel. So seemed easy for me. Maybe I am just FAR more talented than I give myself credit for? :D

Some of what this trainer states is spot on, but the presentation he demonstrates would get you tossed from the vast majority of ranges that I have worked on. His definition of "slight" has him pointing the muzzle up at a 50+ degree angle! That's hardly slight! It's unsafe and time / motion studies show that time to target / trigger release is actually slower than with a flat gun. If you have an ND / AD in that position only God knows where that round would end up. I don't ever want to have to explain launching a round on a trajectory that mimics indirect mortar fire!

I had to laugh when he demonstrated "tension" when he brought the gun flat. What a drama queen, I mean really dude; you seriously let that demonstration go out into the public sphere? You can easily have the gun high enough to see the whole top of the gun (very important point, one of the spot-on things he says), close enough to be in a retention position and still be parallel to the ground and pointed at the threat, all without tension or stress.

Last Edited:
It's not an eye thing, it's a grip/presentation thing. A practiced grip/presentation puts the dot in the window, aligned with the eye every time.
Exactly. If one is training the eye to find the dot (similar to before having the red dot looking for front sight) that will always cost way more time and may create hunting for the red dot. Completely the wrong way to do it Imo.

Brain has to learn the Grip/presentation so that gun is parallel between eye and target every time. You don't have to think about it and your eye doesn't have to look for it. That is done through tons of repetitions which you can do with an empty gun. Imo what this guy teaches in the video is totally wrong if you want to learn to be accurate and fast. Make every practice exactly the same as you would do in competition or defending your life.

Last Edited:
Exactly. If one is training the eye to find the dot (similar to before having the red dot looking for front sight) that will always cost way more time and may create hunting for the red dot. Completely the wrong way to do it Imo.

Brain has to learn the Grip/presentation so that gun is parallel between eye and target every time. You don't have to think about it and your eye doesn't have to look for it. That is done through tons of repetitions which you can do with an empty gun. Imo what this guy teaches in the video is totally wrong if you want to learn to be accurate and fast. Make every practice exactly the same as you would do in competition or defending your life.
I'm certain the fastest guys aren't even using sights at short distances. It's like point shooting. You get your hand used to holding the gun and you pretty much aren't even using the sights, you're just putting the slide at the right vector because your hands are so used to the angle needed.

I'm certain the fastest guys aren't even using sights at short distances. It's like point shooting. You get your hand used to holding the gun and you pretty much aren't even using the sights, you're just putting the slide at the right vector because your hands are so used to the angle needed.
As Lathaem says, "I always have fuzzy sights" (unless really long range). It takes roughly 1/2 second for your eye to focus on the sight and it's not needed at any reasonably close range. Also that 1/2 second becomes even longer as we age due to presbyopia. Note that Leatham won the uspsa national championship at the age of 60, one of 34 times he has won that. Fortunately with a red dot you have only 2 planes to use (dot and target) instead of 3 like with iron sights. So your focus simply stays on the target even at long range. But of course if u use a red dot u have to commit to the reps to get alignment so you don't draw and have no dot in the window. Make every practice presentation aggressive as if you are actually going to shoot. That way your brain/body doesn't learn one thing with many reps then does something else when you have to shoot under pressure.

It's not hard to build that imo. Fe if you practice for one minute from low ready you can get somewhere around 35 reps (assuming moving targets and not long range). So two minutes of practice per day with a dry gun = 70 reps, or 2100 reps per month. If you practiced 5 min per day that would be roughly 5000 reps per month. That's 2000-5000 reps per month of building your grip correctly, aggressive stance and presentation/getting proper alignment quickly, prepping trigger without ever leaving your home or using ammo (obviously I wouldn't suggest only doing that in terms of practicing, just talking about learning grip and presentation).

Last Edited:
Good tips. Appreciate the video. Especially from someone transition from irons to red dots on pistols. Thanks.

It took me a while, a few trips to the range to really get the acquisition down fast.
I've tried in the past and went back to iron sights. But I'm finally starting to get the hang of it which is nice. Just takes practice like everything else.

The biggest benefit I've found with an RDS is that I'm much more inclined to use the same eye as my shooting hand instead of dealing with my cross dominance and irons.

Other than that, I just point the gun and boom, there's my dot. Setting mine up cowitnessed with my irons and having the dot sit right on top of the front post helped the transition be close to seamless

Thanks for posting the Jedi video. I missed his class when he came to Oregon, hopefully I'll have another chance soon. He is pretty much the recognized authority on red dot handgun shooting, so some of the fudd-tastic expert comments on here are hilarious.

Thanks for posting the Jedi video. I missed his class when he came to Oregon, hopefully I'll have another chance soon. He is pretty much the recognized authority on red dot handgun shooting, so some of the fudd-tastic expert comments on here are hilarious.
Bill Blowers will be doing one in Goldendale this summer, he'll do just as good, if not better, job at presenting the material and he has the real world bonafides to back it up. Same goes for Jon Dufresne, he'll be down in Eugene Summer 2024.

Short video on another method re red dot fyi. Seeklander knows his stuff. Suggest Skipping 1:49 onward in the video which appears to be Wilson combat propaganda. Angle of the presentation and reps are everything Imo. But use whatever works for you. 100 ways to skin a cat as they say.

Last Edited:
It's not an eye thing, it's a grip/presentation thing. A practiced grip/presentation puts the dot in the window, aligned with the eye every time.

"Proprioception" is the fancy word for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top