JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
caution plaque.gif

Here's a message today from Nick Hanauer's Seattle based Alliance for Gun Responsibility.

"This is BIG news, Uber! Today, New York Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit to dissolve the NRA.

The suit outlines a decades-long pattern of fraud and self-dealing that funded a lavish lifestyle for longtime CEO Wayne LaPierre and other officials. These details make crystal clear what we've known all along: the NRA is a far cry from the sporting nonprofit it claims to be.

For years, the NRA has had a stranglehold on our political system, blocking commonsense gun safety measures in Congress and endangering American lives. But they are finally being exposed as a breeding ground for corruption and illegality.

The Alliance for Gun Responsibility has been on the front lines fighting the NRA for years. We have beat them time and time again in Washington state, making meaningful progress in the fight for gun violence prevention. This lawsuit is an opportunity to defeat them once and for all."

To be anti-NRA is to be on the same side as The Alliance seeking to take our gun rights away.

Here's a message today from Nick Hanauer's Seattle based Alliance for Gun Responsibility.

"This is BIG news, Uber! Today, New York Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit to dissolve the NRA.

The suit outlines a decades-long pattern of fraud and self-dealing that funded a lavish lifestyle for longtime CEO Wayne LaPierre and other officials. These details make crystal clear what we've known all along: the NRA is a far cry from the sporting nonprofit it claims to be.

For years, the NRA has had a stranglehold on our political system, blocking commonsense gun safety measures in Congress and endangering American lives. But they are finally being exposed as a breeding ground for corruption and illegality.

The Alliance for Gun Responsibility has been on the front lines fighting the NRA for years. We have beat them time and time again in Washington state, making meaningful progress in the fight for gun violence prevention. This lawsuit is an opportunity to defeat them once and for all."

To be anti-NRA is to be on the same side as The Alliance seeking to take our gun rights away.
I respectfully disagree. The nra has sowed a culture of not having civil discourse and discussion in favor of sensationalized fear mongering and demonizing fellow Americans with opposing views. This has driven away prior members (including myself). There are alternatives to send your dollars to. OFF, GOA, ASA...

I respectfully disagree. The nra has sowed a culture of not having civil discourse and discussion in favor of sensationalized fear mongering and demonizing fellow Americans with opposing views. This has driven away prior members (including myself). There are alternatives to send your dollars to. OFF, GOA, ASA...

None of those alternatives are even a blip on the radar for the opposition. So, once again, can anyone identify a relevant alternative?

NRA Life Member for 40+ years. Haven't given them money in years.
Also a Life Member of the 2nd Amendment Foundation, and continue to give them donations.

Since you can't disagree with others without besmirching their support for the 2A, you go on my ignore list.

Do I appreciate what I view as a lavish pay and lifestyle that NRA leadership accept - no. Do I agree with everything they do or have ever done - no.

But - since the politicians who year after year shout that they want to take my guns away go full mentally handicapped when talking about the NRA - that alone serves as a good reason to support them. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, as it were.

I bought a life membership several years ago.

Do I appreciate what I view as a lavish pay and lifestyle that NRA leadership accept - no. Do I agree with everything they do or have ever done - no.

But - since the politicians who year after year shout that they want to take my guns away go full mentally handicapped when talking about the NRA - that alone serves as a good reason to support them. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, as it were.

I bought a life membership several years ago.
What if that money you were paying them to defend your rights ends up in the hands of democrats and other swamp creatures who would happily sell your rights away for a new mansion or private jet?

That's what the NRA is. Its no secret to those in this world and industry. The fight for gun rights in the US is almost entirely shouldered by small organizations regional/state and law firms. The NRA will not even work with them because they see them as a threat to their funding.

I can show you dozens of court cases and challenges that the NRA contributed absolutely nothing , in fact in some cases they sided with the gun grabbers.

The NRA does not exist to protect gun rights. It exists to enich and make money for its officers and handlers, who just so happen to be in bed with the swamp and democrats. Hell Wayne WAS A DEMOCRAT LOBBYIST before he went to work for the NRA.

As a Lobbying oganization, the NRA has no real teeth. They are the boogeyman the left uses to raise money. Actual congress critters and staffers on the hill aren't scare of them, in fact they are like any other special interest group that they can get their nut/vig from. Their effectiveness has proven to be a wet fart.

You can only show people so much overwhelming evidence before you realize they are a lost cause.

The NRA makes Democrats get their panties in a wad, for that reason alone, I'll financially support them. When another pro Second Amendment Organization steps up with that level of power and authority, then I'll consider financially supporting them instead.

It's too bad we have politicians that take an oath and then do nothing but violate it. It's far past time to remove politicians that do not support and adhere to the Constitution of the United States of America. Period...

All the info is out there. You should actually try to research the issues.

The court doccuments are the most damning. Greedy NRA BOD was funneling rediculious purchases through Ackerman, who then was getting reimbursed by the NRA. Tens of millions of dollars.

The NY AG's civil complaint is damning but at this point they are unproven allegations from a state AG who has been very clear about her political motivations. Given the way the NRA has handled the allegations I'm inclined to think there is some real fire and not mere smoke in the complaint but I'll reserve my judgment.

Ollie North, as "Dissident No. 1", figures prominently in the lawsuit (see pp. 106-113). I'm no fan of North and was unhappy when he was (s)elected as NRA President but I also believe in giving credit where credit is due. If what he has apparently alleged is true then he was forced out, it seems, for trying to perform his duties with due diligence for the good of the NRA and the 2nd Amendment.

The NY AG's civil complaint is damning but at this point they are unproven allegations from a state AG who has been very clear about her political motivations. Given the way the NRA has handled the allegations I'm inclined to think there is some real fire and not mere smoke in the complaint but I'll reserve my judgment.

Ollie North, as "Dissident No. 1", figures prominently in the lawsuit (see pp. 106-113). I'm no fan of North and was unhappy when he was (s)elected as NRA President but I also believe in giving credit where credit is due. If what he has apparently alleged is true then he was forced out, it seems, for trying to perform his duties with due diligence for the good of the NRA and the 2nd Amendment.
The AG stuff is pretty recent but it was mostly built on previous info we all knew about (well not all of us clearly)

The president of the NRA has almost no power. Its a figurehead. The EVP and BOD they have entrenched hold all the power.

I can show you dozens of court cases and challenges that the NRA contributed absolutely nothing , in fact in some cases they sided with the gun grabbers.
As far as I know, the NRA has never been primarily a legal advocacy organization that fights things out in the courts. They do most of their directly political work in the legislative and electoral arena.

As for siding with gun grabbers in court cases feel free to provide a couple of examples. In any case, sometimes advocates try to tank a case because they don't want it to lead to a damaging and long-lasting precedent. The other side does the same thing. That's why NYC was so eager to bail out of NEW YORK STATE RIFLE & PISTOL ASSOCIATION, INC., ET AL ., PETITIONERS v. CITY OF NEW YORK, NEW YORK, ET AL. that they actually changed their law. If the NRA or some other group torpedoes a bad case that doesn't necessarily make them traitors to the cause, although they might be, it could just mean they're acting strategically. Reasonable people, of course, can disagree on strategies.

I see two problems here:
1. Prosecutorial bias.
2. Impossibility of getting an impartial jury anywhere in the Rotten Apple.

If Whatshername had confidence in her case she would have filed criminal charges rather than a civil suit.

Staff....please close this thread! I understand we all have different points of views but the whiny, finger pointing beligerant angst is, in my opinion, beyond belief! Honestly, I can hardly believe the trash, snide comments and rude answers from some members here.
The retorts and conversations have passed beyond civil discourse! :(

Dan

The AG stuff is pretty recent but it was mostly built on previous info we all knew about (well not all of us clearly)
Yep, "previous info" that so far hasn't been tested and validated in a court of law.

The president of the NRA has almost no power. Its a figurehead. The EVP and BOD they have entrenched hold all the power.
I've served on a number corporate boards of directors and in every state where I served directors had a legal responsibility and the authority to conduct oversight of the affairs of the corporation. On every board I served the executive leadership never liked diligent directors who took their duties seriously and usually didn't have to contend with many.

Ollie North was both NRA's president and a member of the board of directors. If the allegations made by NY AG related to his tenure are true then it seems, power or no, he tried to his duty for the good of the corporation and its member and for the cause.

Last Edited:
In my view this effort is nothing but harassment in order to boost the anti-self defense narrative. If there was/is actual fraud, why isn't the NY AG, or some other investigative entity, issuing indictments?
Not necessarily. A civil action brings with it the tools of discovery and exerts pressure on defendants to break ranks. AG James may be using the civil lawsuit to build a stronger criminal case or it could be election year political abuse of the judicial system. Time will tell but you shouldn't read too much into the fact that no criminal charges have been made yet.

Not necessarily. A civil action brings with it the tools of discovery and exerts pressure on defendants to break ranks. AG James may be using the civil lawsuit to build a stronger criminal case or it could be election year political abuse of the judicial system. Time will tell but you shouldn't read too much into the fact that no criminal charges have been made yet.
Hmmmm... where have we seen political abuse of the judicial system during an election year before...

I wonder????

I would implore you to speak with some of the leading gun rights attorneys who are fighting the big fight, Like Alan Gura and Stephen Stamboulieh.

They can tell you first how just how much "Help" the NRA is in cases that actually matter. Here is a hint: they do more harm than good.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top