JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Yes, the potential dissolution of the NRA could embolden a lot of legal efforts to promote more gun control.
Yes, the NRA still has a lot of sentimental value to a lot of members because of how they envision the organization runs or stands for against opposition.
Yes, there are a lot of other organizations that are decidedly more active in the day to day for 2A issues. Name recognition unfortunately doesn't equate to actual difference-making, and the NRA has sat on their laurels with name recognition much more than actual standing for their cause.

I think it's a great opportunity to reinforce and support better run organizations, as we have entire new generations ready to continue to fight and understand the changing times of how the fight is fought. You don't make policy decisions and campaign to old fogies who are set in their ways and resistant to changing their worldviews or understanding of things, regardless of how reality is constantly changing and passes people up who can't or don't adapt.

The people who still support the NRA from a romanticized view of ideals need to find a way to shift their fervor to new groups, that are more accountable, and more able to effectively be involved in 2a issues.

Name an alternative. A relevant alternative.

Any of the known players could be as big a gorilla as the NRA is with half the bank account, and with the same bank account, a whole squad of gorillas that could bury cities and states in litigation costs -- seriously make it a budget buster to even think a gun banning thought.

What galls me about the NRA is that it soaks up almost all the pro-2A donations, squanders vast amounts of that money, has to be dragged kicking and screaming to SCOTUS (it literally tried to scuttle Heller), and doesn't actually make very good deals. If Anti-2A forces could dream up their opposition, they couldn't do better than the NRA circa now.

I want lawsuits, instead we get LaPiere Italian Suits and when the doors are closed and the cameras off, the Antis just laugh and laugh because they have the opposition they want to have. The NRA is neutering us.

Yep, "previous info" that so far hasn't been tested and validated in a court of law.

I've served on a number corporate boards of directors and in every state where I served directors had a legal responsibility and the authority to conduct oversight of the affairs of the corporation. On every board I served the executive leadership never liked diligent directors who took their duties seriously and usually didn't have to contend with many.

Ollie North was both NRA's president and a member of the board of directors. If the allegations made by NY AG related to his tenure are true then it seems, power or no, he tried to his duty for the good of the corporation and its member and for the cause.
Its all been entered as evidence. That's how we "Confirmed" what we already knew.

The documents entered into evidence were released on the net a year ago from the public filings. ACKMACK had line item expenditures they were seeking reimbursement for, it was insane.

Ollie was one of many presidents run out who started asking too many questions.

You really need to do your own research and see how the BOD has changes the rules to basically insulate themselves from outside influence.

Do you all need WLP to stand up naked in front of a camera and admit to everything to believe it. The Evidence is overwhelming to say the least.

Staff....please close this thread! I understand we all have different points of views but the whiny, finger pointing beligerant angst is, in my opinion, beyond belief! Honestly, I can hardly believe the trash, snide comments and rude answers from some members here.
The retorts and conversations have passed beyond civil discourse! :(

Dan
Yea lets shut down real discourse and discussion on a topic that needs to be talked about because a few sensitive nacys get offended at the slightest hint of disagreement or debate.

This is a gun board, not a club for knitting and cooking.

Didn't realize any member could call for a thread to be closed. I need to try that next time opinions don't agree with my own
:s0093:
For real, some of these people are worse than democrats and their cancelled culture. When they know they lost the argument and can't debate they scream and cry instead.

One of the foundations of this nation is the free exchange of ideas. Its how we all better ourselves and grow.

Stop supporting the NRA! Ask your self what have then done in the last 30 years? Sign off on more laws? YES

My $$$ goes to the2nd amendment foundation

Any of the known players could be as big a gorilla as the NRA is with half the bank account, and with the same bank account, a whole squad of gorillas that could bury cities and states in litigation costs -- seriously make it a budget buster to even think a gun banning thought.

What galls me about the NRA is that it soaks up almost all the pro-2A donations, squanders vast amounts of that money, has to be dragged kicking and screaming to SCOTUS (it literally tried to scuttle Heller), and doesn't actually make very good deals. If Anti-2A forces could dream up their opposition, they couldn't do better than the NRA circa now.

I want lawsuits, instead we get LaPiere Italian Suits and when the doors are closed and the cameras off, the Antis just laugh and laugh because they have the opposition they want to have. The NRA is neutering us.

The antis sure spend a lot of money toward a group they are laughing at. As much as another organization could do this or that, none of them are.

Not necessarily. A civil action brings with it the tools of discovery and exerts pressure on defendants to break ranks. AG James may be using the civil lawsuit to build a stronger criminal case or it could be election year political abuse of the judicial system. Time will tell but you shouldn't read too much into the fact that no criminal charges have been made yet.
Well its not necessarily a crime to breach your fiduciary responsibility. Very hard to prove outside of outright embezzlement and fraud.

They used legal mechanisms to launder and wash money to funnel it back to organizations they also owned and controlled.

From an optics point of view its deplorable and I'm sure all there people who gave their fortunes away (there is an entire wall at NRA HQ in Fairfax full of major donors, many who left all their assets to the NRA when they died) and their decendents wouldn't be too happy, nor would people be willing to donate and buy memberships once they see where their money actually went.

The Burden of proof on a civil case is usually a preponderance of the evidence which is much easier to satisfy than beyond reasonable doubt.

I expect once this case wraps up and more dirt is discovered, you will see the class action coming from NRA members.

To be anti-NRA is to be on the same side as The Alliance seeking to take our gun rights away.

That's one way to look at it. Mine is the opposite though: to be pro-NRA is to be on the side of those taking our gun rights away because no pro-2A org uses money as inefficiently as the NRA does. Thus, the NRA is the Anti's greatest asset -- it takes all our money and burns it in pits out in the back 40.

This thread reminded me that it was time to renew my NRA membership. I'll support local groups also, but if the other side hates the NRA, I'm going to make sure I'm a card carrying member. I might even join NAAGA, if that will pressure some in liberal districts to support gun rights.

Edit: I do get the annoyance at Wayne and crew.

As much as I disagree with the NRA, there is one immutable fact in play here: The big time Dems ALL claim that THEY have stood up to the NRA, that THEY have Fought them, and They have Beaten them! Think about that for a little bit, when those Dems open their yappers claiming they stood up to the NRA, what does that say about the NRA?

This thread reminded me that it was time to renew my NRA membership. I'll support local groups also, but if the other side hates the NRA, I'm going to make sure I'm a card carrying member. I might even join NAAGA, if that will pressure some in liberal districts to support gun rights.

Edit: I do get the annoyance at Wayne and crew.
That is the funny thing. They don't hate them. Behind closed doors they are all the best of friends, laughing while they enrich themselves. The Left is not scacred of the NRA, they are controlled opposition. It keeps the money flowing on both ends while neither having to actually do any work.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads