JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Taurus called this evening. The representative stated my revolver's cylinder was replaced, and the gun was grouping within company tolerances at 25 yards. They will be shipping it back soon.

Stand by for measurements of the new cylinder.

I asked the lady on the phone if the gun would ship with a printed explanation of what Taurus found and replaced as a result. She told me I would get a copy of the exact information she relayed over the phone, which was that short sentence about "tolerances."
What exactly does that mean?;) Seems like a lot of latitude with that statement.......

Taurus revolvers of the 80's and 90's were pretty darn good revolvers for the money. Not sure the newer ones are
Of the same quality and craftmenship...

Glad to hear that you'll be getting yours back soon. Do let us know what the official paperwork says and what you actually observe.

My revolver has been returned to me, and this is what I found when I examined it.

Packed on top of the revolver in a new factory cardboard box were two sheets of paper. The first was a summary of the warranty work performed on the weapon. The factory claims there was "no problem found (NPF)" with the chamber throats, however, the entire cylinder was replaced. Taurus gave me the valuable suggestion of using quality ammunition with the gun... :s0054: and nothing else in regards to why any work was done on the firearm. The second sheet was the factory target on which the gun was tested after the repair was made. They say the gun shot a 1-5/8" at 25 yards. I think they were selling the gun a bit short as they weren't measuring from the center of the bullet impacts.

I was pleased when I measured the chamber throats of the new cylinder. The measurements ranged from .424"-.426" and my calipers may not have been as squared to the face of the cylinder as they could have been when I was getting the wider readings. Each chamber of the new cylinder was much narrower and more in line with SAAMI spec's than any of the previous cylinder chambers.

Overall, the work on the gun was what I had hoped it would be and Taurus' statements about the work (although neither complete nor ideal) were what I had expected after I received their phone call. I will keep my fingers crossed when I take the gun to the range next week and pray for a pattern to sight in on. Taurus' denial of their deficient production quality has let me know they intend to continue with their current business model of lackluster factory production paired with a lifetime warranty to correct the mistakes of the former. I don't plan to compete with the gun so I can be happy with it if it shots minute-of-pumpkin/pig/burglar/etc.

Thanks for staying tuned. I can post results from the range if anyone is interested.

IMG_1491.JPG IMG_1489.JPG IMG_1490.JPG IMG_1492.JPG

Very nice. I'm glad they put a new cylinder on it for you but the "no problem found" thing is disturbing enough to make one leery of ever buying anything Taurus. If they'd had any decency they'd have taken one look at it and said "Yeah we really screwed up that one; sorry about that".

.426" is awful tight for the chamber throats. They're probably .429+ if measured with a different tool. You can check by seeing if a bullet will drop through (if you reload and have a bullet), or take a loaded round and see if the bullet end will insert into the throat end of the cylinder. If it really is that tight, it's an easy gunsmith job to hone them out to exactly what you want. Too tight is better than too loose, and that old cylinder was off the chart terrible.

I for one am curious how it shoots. Please do let us know after you make it out to the range.

By the way, that sample group looks great. 1.2" at 25 yards (how I would measure it) is not bad at all. That's better than I can shoot!

Just a comment from an old Machinist, your Vernier Caliper is not the best way to measure a cylinder internal dimension. It will get you in the ballpark, really need a hole gauge or snap gauge.........Only a comment
Hope the gun does well with you. I have had very good luck with their handguns.
Regards, Ken

Sounds like the new cylinder has exceptionally tight chamber throats. While not exactly desirable, too small is better than too big.

Do you ever plan on shooting lead bullets? If so, the small throats could cause severe leading in the barrel. I think reaming them to .430" or so would be about ideal, and that's an easy job for a gunsmith or machinist who knows his stuff. If you only shoot jacketed I suppose it might be fine as is? The target they sent sure looks good.

There's a guy on a reloading forum who does that kind of work. He has a reputation for excellent work and I think his prices are very reasonable. You would just mail the cylinder to him and he'd send it back perfect. Some cast bullet shooters would love to have a gun with tight throats like that so they could ream it to exactly what they wanted.

Please track down his handle. I'd love to talk to him.

I don't intend to shoot lead but wouldn't rule it out either. The Berry's bullets we're going to be my plunking rounds.

Good to hear they honored the lifetime warranty and fixed it. I have had a few Taurus guns and still have a couple. I think they do the tried and true designs very well, i.e. revolvers ,1911's and 92FS platforms. Their own designs are hit or miss and I'm generally not into playing with those. Too many other well known and reliable options out there for not much more. Although I keep hearing really good things about their millennium G2 model. Nice groups for 25 yards though.

Just a comment from an old Machinist, your Vernier Caliper is not the best way to measure a cylinder internal dimension. It will get you in the ballpark, really need a hole gauge or snap gauge.........Only a comment
Hope the gun does well with you. I have had very good luck with their handguns.
Regards, Ken
Or slug the chambers.. and while you're at it, the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top