JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I try to encourage the people who ask me about shooting to buy a 22LR pistol and be able to shoot 500+ rounds for less than $20.
It seems like I'm talking to a wall though.

I see more and more people that become interested in shooting handguns, buy a gun and cannot afford ammo.

Is this an image thing to own a "wonder nine" that you cannot afford to shoot?

They sometimes show up on the reloading forum looking for CHEAP loading stuff to load CHEAP ammo....fast.

Do these people really want to shoot, or just be able to tell their friends about their new "wonder nine"?

Tilos

I agree. I always encourage new shooters to start with a nice Ruger auto to develop good safe shooting skills and to have an inexpensive target and plinking handgun.

Same with rifle. Start with the inexpensive 22 first and then if you like shooting and want to move up to a larger caliber do so.

A 22 revolver is a super tool to teach a new shooter on. Once they master the 22 without developing a flinch they can move on up to a defensive caliber.

Americans are programed that bigger is better. Many start with a 40 caliber and then get discouraged with the recoil and cost of shooting. Similar to the super sizing of burgers and more horsepower in their cars. Get tickets from the cars and fat from the burgers. I know thats an over the top analogy but humorous.:D

I try to encourage the people who ask me about shooting to buy a 22LR pistol and be able to shoot 500+ rounds for less than $20.
It seems like I'm talking to a wall though.

I see more and more people that become interested in shooting handguns, buy a gun and cannot afford ammo.

Is this an image thing to own a "wonder nine" that you cannot afford to shoot?

They sometimes show up on the reloading forum looking for CHEAP loading stuff to load CHEAP ammo....fast.

Do these people really want to shoot, or just be able to tell their friends about their new "wonder nine"?

Tilos
shooting 22lr gets you far. but so does dry firing which is free. sadly most ppl don't do either.

I am a young shooter & I do agree .22's are great first guns....I really liked having .22 rifles because I could shoot them for hours & the best part was....It only cost me 30 Bucks. But TODAY I am selling my last .22.....to raise money for guess what??? AR 15......I wont shoot the AR as much......but, when I do, it will be way more fun:s0155:.....for Me it is NOT a image thing. I just really want a AR because I think it is a Great Rifle.

For me it is a life saving thing. I can afford to practice with the 9mm but not .40 or .45, and I would trust it to stop an assailant so 9mm it is. I can't trust a .22 to that degree. Now just for fun I will probably buy a .22 and "plink" with it in the future. In short my first gun is a defense weapon so I consider that a "need" (handling and defense classes are also "needed"). .22 I consider a "want". I am also putting an assault rifle and a shotgun into the "need" category.

I own (4) 22lrs and that what is shot 99% of the time. I have about 1000 rounds combined of 9mm and .45 but .22lr is where the party is at!

I want to get 50bmg but I will probably only keep a single box on hand of that ammo, then replace it as I use it. I cant afford to regally shot a 50 but it doesnt mean I wouldn't buy one if I could only use it one a year for 10 shots its worth it IMO.

It probably is an image thing. the mentality of many is that bigger is better. I have a Walther P22 for a plinker and have a lot of fun with it. and also loaded with 10 rounds of hollow point mini mags it can be a serious home defense gun.

I agree a .22 is the best way to learn about shooting, my little brother wanted to get into target shooting so I bought him a 10/22 and he couldn't have been more pleased. Best thing about it though is that he did his research and told me he wanted one to get started out. Barely had to explain a thing to him. He already had most the safety knowledge drilled into his head by the time we first took the 10/22 out and and all those shooting video games have turned him into a better shot than I am.

I beleieve a lot of shooters are looking for a firearm they can shoot for fun and also use for defense. I know there are many stories where a 22 did the job but for most it isn't a defense firearm. 9mm is far more expensive than a 22 but it offers a lot more as a defense firearm. Me I like the 45 APC and compared to the cost of a 22 round the difference is massive but so is the effect. I guess it comes down to what your willing to pay in your time of need.

My 2c

Old saying, and yes I am old.:D:D

Never give advice, wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it.

You really never know what people have in their mind when it comes to buying a gun. They ask questions but who knows if the answers are comprehended. I tell them to join the gun club and go from there:s0112::s0112: most don't, they are too cheap.

jj

Old saying, and yes I am old.:D:D

Never give advice, wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it.

You really never know what people have in their mind when it comes to buying a gun. They ask questions but who knows if the answers are comprehended. I tell them to join the gun club and go from there:s0112::s0112: most don't, they are too cheap.

jj

Awesome!, Words to live by.

Personally I think a Ruger Mk I/II or III is a "must own" pistol. I've introduced several new shooters with mine and it is still one of my favorite firearms.

I love the .22LR round and rimfires in general. Over half my collection are rimfire.
The majority of my shooting is .22LR and because it is so cheap I can shoot a whole lot more, so in that sense, more is definitely better!

I've been shooting for over 2/3 of my life and .22lr's are still my favorite to shoot because of trigger time and how cheap they are.

When I drag out my .22lr AR15 at ranges, I usually get a laugh or two from other shooters until I start running drills and they see the value of training. Then, when I let them try the gun, the faces change as do the snickers. Turning from laughing at me to laughing with me as the guns are so fun!

I always start new shooters with .22s and recommend them to customers either starting out or getting back into shooting after a long absence.

Growing up in Alaska, we had a term called, "Magnum Morons" for those who scoff at 9mm and .22lr. We had some big guns for bear but the majority of our shooting was done with .22, 9mm and .243 Winchester.

I REGRET getting rid of my most favoriteist 22LR.. Now I'd love to rebuild that setup.

wow im gonna be labeled as the pretty guy with a small penis. my first pistol was a bright nickel desert eagle .50 (came with 300rnds. also) for only 1250 but also have over 15 .22's. I just like the whole spectrum. Also look for the new Kel-Tec PMR30 which is a .22WMR pistol with 30rnd. capacity

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top