JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think as a first gun, many are looking to why they need a gun in the first place, in regards to self-defense. My first gun was a Kimber 1911, but shortly there after I bought a Ruger 10/22 and a Mark III hunter as gun #2 and #3.

I get the same reaction when I take out the 617 at the range.
First they asked why it's so quiet and I tell them it's a 22.
When the response is that "Why?" look, I explain it's practice for my same size center fire revolvers.
After I shoot a couple of thumb size groups, I let them try.

Most of these "new" shooters' groups with my gun are softball or basket ball size.
It's not sight alignment because that 617 has a red dot on it!
With a 22, trigger control/flinch cannot be masked with recoil.

This is when they usually go back to shooting their "defense" guns at $0.50 to $0.75 per shot.

center fire 50 shots/$20+

22LR 525 shots/<$20, plus no time picking up range mushrooms!

(this thread is about shooting guns not defense guns)
Tilos

While its nice to shoot "real guns (center fire)" its just too expensive and thus, I go and shoot mostly 22lr now. Plus when I bring friends out, I don't care if they shoot my guns because of the relative low cost. Trigger time is better then looking time. Now with 22lr, I go shooting every week, instead of once every other month with traditional center fire calibers.

with my walther p22 i can hit an egg consistently at about 20-25yds. up around my local shops .22 ammo was exceptionally hard to come by(waiting list for about a month) for a while. So I dropped back pistol wise to my wife's makarov and absolutely loved it. Biggest grouping problem was transition from double action to single action trigger pull wise, i wouldnt get used to the lighter second pull. Rifle wise I fell back to a Mosin since its cheap and had about 3000 rounds lying about

Plus when I bring friends out, I don't care if they shoot my guns because of the relative low cost.

So true. My Taurus 22 revolver and Advantage Arms Glock conversion are two of the best purchases I have made. Can take daughter and friends out to the range for very little cost, and a heckuva lot of fun.

When I drag out my .22lr AR15 at ranges, I usually get a laugh or two from other shooters until I start running drills and they see the value of training. Then, when I let them try the gun, the faces change as do the snickers. Turning from laughing at me to laughing with me as the guns are so fun!

I love my friends .22 AR, I don't feel like I owe him after a few mags (we do share ammo a lot) and everyone is right about the trigger time on a .22. I can fire off a full tube of shots and (yes recoil is vastly different) work on lining up my iron sights over and over again and shoot a few hundred rounds. Then I can be comfortable with how my eye lines up three little ridges of metal on a Mosin or SKS or PSL (I'm a Ruskie fan) or on an AR from time to time, to squeeze off a mag of x39 or x54r or .223. With these I am learning the feel of each gun and each round, not learning how to be accurate... the .22 taught me that!

I think as a first gun, many are looking to why they need a gun in the first place, in regards to self-defense. My first gun was a Kimber 1911, but shortly there after I bought a Ruger 10/22 and a Mark III hunter as gun #2 and #3.

I went EXACTLY the same route. I got the Kimber for personal and home defense, but I love shooting so I picked up the 10/22 and Ruger 22/45 for plinking/practicing.

Currently adding an AR as a fun/home defense/all around rifle.
Next is an 870 :s0155:

For anyone that really LIKES shooting, there is no need to explain the value in a .22 LR as a first (or one of your first) guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top