JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this article and thought it would be of interest.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/electronic-vs-dial-locks-on-gunsafes/

I have a dial safe and it is a bit more work to get into. (I have to keep glasses and a light on top of the safe so I can see the numbers) However they are more secure and will still work after TEOTWAWKI. Several digital models I looked at have a bypass key behind the keypad to facilitate opening in the event of failure and this worries me. I chose to have a slower dial safe and a ready access strong box for when speed is required.

Some general thoughts on security:
A smart thief would not attack the door of the average safe. (I am talking about safes, not box store Homak style cabinets here.) Cutting a window in the 0.120 steel that most safe bodies are made from can be done with a circular saw with a metal cutting blade in minutes. Please note: I am not posting a "how to" for the bad guys, they already know this stuff.

That is why I recommend limiting the time and access someone has to break your box open.
  • Put your safe in an alcove or corner
  • Bolt it securely to the floor
  • Install an alarm and/or a "touch tamper" switch.
This is an example of a touch tamper switch. Similar to a touch lamp the touch circuit is connected to the metal of your box. It senses the change of state when you touch bare metal so if someone were to try your dial it would trigger. There are many things you can do with this signal. Mine is connected to a ViVint sensor that sends me a text. This would be useful to know if family members are messing around. It could signal a break in or do a separate alarm of some kind. The down side is that these need power so they are easily defeated (if you know about them in advance)
<broken link removed>

Curious- your Vivint sensor dependent on an active monitoring alarm through Vivint, or can the sensor somehow run independently? I like that feature but don't necessarily desire the Vivint alarm system.

Thanks

Curious- your Vivint sensor dependent on an active monitoring alarm through Vivint, or can the sensor somehow run independently? I like that feature but don't necessarily desire the Vivint alarm system.

Thanks
Absolutely, the possibilities are limited only by your imagination and technical skill.

I never did like the electronic pad on my sentry bimart safe. But I just use it for ammo now. I like the dial on the sturdy safe I picked up. That along with a home security system and cameras makes me feel all warm and cozy. I wonder how good the wifi alarm would work through the 10g steel and ceramic lining. It's interesting though and I'll be looking into it. For now this may help... 20160303_070200.jpg

I'm not big on anything wireless or to do with the cloud as I figure any of that is open to hacking. I prefer hard wiring.

The previous owner of this house left it with an ADT system. I do not think much of ADT, but this baby on battery power and hooked to sensors on the safe ought to scare the s**t out of a burglar. And the annoyance factor in the neighborhood along with a couple of blessedly nosy neighbors should get action quicker than ADT can handle it.

Alarm horn.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews