Best , Dial or Digital Safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes & Secure Storage' started by DuneHopper, May 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Of course they do.. but what is "their fair share"?
    It's guaranteed that all electronic switches will "fail" if left to their own devices/left alone long enough and it's pretty much guaranteed that all mechanical dial locks on safes will work for a very long time.. hundreds of years? who knows
    anyway

2. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter

Again, forget about it. I AGREE with you.

Kent763 likes this.
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw
    SW PDX

I have a dial. I'm old school and just wanted something I new I could always get into no matter what the situation. If i'm going to be accessing my safe a lot, say on the weekend, I just have the combo dialed thru the first two numbers with the third number close to it's home. That way I can get in quick and easy.:)

4. Poorass

Poorass
    Beaverton

Newbie to forums, this is my first post EVER. I don't believe my opinion is important enough for anyone to read, you been warned.
    I was looking for a safe and came across many opinions, fact is, if some food stamp snowflake wants in they will get in. As far as security I really liked the blade approach vs the pins for the door as in the Liberty Safes. I bought a liberty safe with the digital pad, It is easy to get in and lock back up. I had a manual dial safe prior for my home protection hand gun but... thinking if i needed it quick in the middle of the night I was not going to go look for the key and then my glasses and then dial up the combination. So I would leave the dial one number away from open the key on unlock. Well, then what was the point of the safe?
    I have had the safe for several months now and its a great piece of mind to be able to get in and out quickly and know its secure. The only regret is that I bought one that is too big for me. My wife reassured me that we would fill it soon so it wouldn't look so lonely inside. Yea she is cool like that, but like the safe her draw back is that she knows how to use all the guns!
    My 2 cents keep the change.

Sgt Nambu, oknow and DuneHopper like this.
  5. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    Unity = Strength
    Never Surrender The Fight Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the group , and thanks for the input good info.

Sgt Nambu and Poorass like this.
  6. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I just posted about this in another thread on safes, but I like the EMP combo lock on my safe. I use the digital because it's faster entry, but I know if the digital ever fails, I can fall back on the mechanical dial. Whatever I was going to choose, I wanted to be sure I had some kind of a backup to the electronic lock because I simply don't trust the longevity of electronics.

One thing I would never use - biometrics - especially on a bedside "quick access" type safe. I occasionally work with biometrics in my job - they are unreliable at best. If I did have an electronic or biometric bedside safe, I would unlock it before bed each night, just no time to react if the lock fails.

Sgt Nambu, nammac and DuneHopper like this.
  7. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    Unity = Strength

I am looking at Liberty for the new one and they have a huge selection. Gees its easier to buy a firearm then figure what safe upgrade I want LOL

Sgt Nambu, Tony617 and etrain16 like this.
  8. oknow

oknow
    amboy wa.

Ok I've herd people say the battery's will die in elock but the elock will give you a warning well ahead of time also you are able to change the battery even when the safe is locked. At least on liberty safes. That should cancel out some of the con's on a electronic lock.

9. Howard1955

Howard1955
    Dallas, Oregon

I have one of those safes from Costco. Think it's sold as a "14 gun safe", but my guns might be fatter than others...

Anyway - it has an electronic, battery-powered keypad on it. And I'm wanting to go old-school, and have a combination dial that doesn't need a battery. If any of you are wanting to go the other way, maybe we can swap.

Now I'm off to find the right place to post a WTT ad. Enjoyed reading the conversation here.

DuneHopper likes this.
  10. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Liberty safe with a dial lock is what I have ... Just don't really trust electric items in a pinch.
    Andy

11. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland
    Constitutionalist Silver Supporter

I recently purchased a Liberty safe with the dial lock...

I've been told that I'm not only good with my hands, but quick too...

:eek:

12. billdeserthills

billdeserthills
    Cave Creek, Arizony

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Howard1955 likes this.
  13. Howard1955

Howard1955
    Dallas, Oregon

14. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    Unity = Strength

Intersting tid bit Liberty Safes have easy upgrades I was told you can have them pretty cost effective switch out a Dial for electronics.
    I want to suggest to anyone with an electronic invest in a 9V solar adapter. If SHTF and that battery ever dies you wont get back in.
    I went with a Liberty will be here in a few days, it wouldn't fit in the shopping cart ;). I went with an EMP version they have three.

Sgt Nambu and Howard1955 like this.
  15. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My electronic dial has a skeleton key to gain access in case the battery dies.

Sgt Nambu and DuneHopper like this.
  16. billdeserthills

billdeserthills
    Cave Creek, Arizony

Most of the new digital locks have a way to change batteries on the outside of the safe,
    Many that don't have access to the batteries will have 9vt battery contacts, which will
    allow you to plug (or hold) a 9vt battery onto, which will provide a small charge to the batteries within the container.

I haven't seen any kind of battery operated container yet that didn't have an
    alternate way to get access in case the battery dies, cause they know it will
    happen

Sgt Nambu and DuneHopper like this.
  17. ditchtiger

ditchtiger
    In the sticks, Willamette Valley

electronic things fail all the time.. mechanical things, not so much. As an auto mechanic this covers it quite well.

18. 01rednavigator

01rednavigator
    Keizer

I went with a dial lock on my Fort Knox, I feel it will be more reliable in the long run. I can open it very fast and I think it is kind of fun to use.

19. Tony617

Tony617
    Washington State

20. Lazyfaire

Lazyfaire
    Tigard

Usually if the batteries are dying it'll give you a signal to change them.

Sgt Nambu and v0lcom13sn0w like this.