JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have two large Tracker safes, both with the electronic locks and wanting to convert one to a dial type for access after emp or other similar occurrences. Just wondering if it is a simple r&r of if a locksmith would be needed.

If you have a Sargent and Greenleaf electronic lock. I'd first check to see if that lock model is EMP rated. Most of their locks are. That would save you the hassle.

If not. The lock itself usually isn't too hard to swap. The lock is on the inside of the door, the keypad or dial is on the outside. The dial is the part that can be hard to install if the safe wasn't designed to take a dial. If their is no port for the spindle, then your sol. Most safes use the hole originally meant for the spindle to allow the wire to pass through for electronic locks.

Here is a good picture to give you a visual idea of what I'm talking about.

p_170116_06618.jpg

If you have a Sargent and Greenleaf electronic lock. I'd first check to see if that lock model is EMP rated. Most of their locks are. That would save you the hassle.

If not. The lock itself usually isn't too hard to swap. The lock is on the inside of the door, the keypad or dial is on the outside. The dial is the part that can be hard to install if the safe wasn't designed to take a dial. If their is no port for the spindle, then your sol. Most safes use the hole originally meant for the spindle to allow the wire to pass through for electronic locks.

Here is a good picture to give you a visual idea of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 489040

I believe that my model can be had with either styles so I'm hoping it won't be too hard.

I believe that my model can be had with either styles so I'm hoping it won't be too hard.
If that's the case it's pretty much just unbolt, bolt. It will probably take you longer to get the backing off the inside part of the door.

Most gun safes have a straight spindle to the lock, the more expensive safes have repeaters, to make it harder to drill.

That's what I was hoping to find out. I looked into the dial lock mechanism a while ago and it wasn't as expensive as I thought.
Ya, even high end manufacturers use pot metal cases. Only part in these locks worth anything anymore is the forged bolt. Even the gates are all plastic these days. Sucks big time when you had a teller get all worked up because they overwound their time lock and were wrenching on the dial because they knew they had their combo right!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top