JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was getting the new Shield ready to carry today, which entails running a couple hundred rounds of varying types (aluminum cased, hollow point brass, ball, +p, etc) loaded in mags in random order, and drop testing a cocked pistol on an empty chamber to see if the trigger resets. Gave it a quick breakdown and lube as well. Get out to the spot, pop in a loaded mag, and the slide release sticks. This malfunction occurred repeatedly. Took the pistol apart, didn't see any issue, put it back together, happened again.

After some quick Google-fu, I decided to to a bit more thorough clean, focused on spraying a foaming cleaner on/into/under the slide stop and working it back and forth,up and down. Spring tension was good, so it's not that.
Check.
Decide to take a nylon brush to it and scrub the area around the slide stop. There was a small piece of some sort of grit that was the cause, or must have been, because I have not had the issue after.

Don't carry an untested firearm.

Excellent advice.
I bought a pistol a couple of months ago that I've been itching to carry (P30sk... a halo piece to me) but haven't been able to shoot it yet.
I have 0 doubt that it's reliable and will function 100%... it's an HK fer crying out loud.
Buuuut.. no carry until we shootee. That's coming next weekend.
About dam time, too.

Excellent advice.
I bought a pistol a couple of months ago that I've been itching to carry (P30sk... a halo piece to me) but haven't been able to shoot it yet.
I have 0 doubt that it's reliable and will function 100%... it's an HK fer crying out loud.
Buuuut.. no carry until we shootee. That's coming next weekend.
About dam time, too.
I have a new Glock 19 that I haven't shot yet that i didn't bring today. Want to carry it as well and am kicking myself.

I have for the life of me never understood carrying a gun you have not tried. Have seen it a lot. The little pistol Wife bought just before this hoax lock down was bugging hell out of her. She wanted to carry it. I kept saying not until we can try it. She has seen me buy a new gun and have to break it in to make it work yet she was ready to just take that new gun with her. I won't even carry new mags until I try them out.

Its not something I've always practiced. If either the shield or glock were the only pistols I had, i'd carry them regardless, simply because I didn't have anything else.

Its not something I've always practiced. If either the shield or glock were the only pistols I had, i'd carry them regardless, simply because I didn't have anything else.
I have long said even though I do not own a Glock as I don't care much for them, they would be first choice if I could not try. If I had to buy something and could not shoot it before depending on it a Glock would be first choice.

I have long said even though I do not own a Glock as I don't care much for them, they would be first choice if I could not try. If I had to buy something and could not shoot it before depending on it a Glock would be first choice.
Generally I agree.
The G30s was an anomaly. Although, as I understand it, if you're going to have an issue with a glock, it will be one of the Gen 3s chambered in .45. If they made the G30s in any newer gen I would have gotten it.

I won't carry a new gun without 300-500 thru the pipe first. Used I can do 50-100 if it's already had a decent amount thru it.

For the shields I just do the sling shot method once the slides open. The release is a little stiff at first so I only use it for a slide stop tbh.

I won't carry a new gun without 300-500 thru the pipe first. Used I can do 50-100 if it's already had a decent amount thru it.

For the shields I just do the sling shot method once the slides open. The release is a little stiff at first so I only use it for a slide stop tbh.
The problem was that i couldnt get the release to disengage when i pulled the slide back.

I agree with not carrying a gun you have not shot. I sat on my Jericho for a couple of months until I was able to put a couple hundred rounds through it. Ahh, much better now. As far as a piece of crud stopping up the whole works, if my gun was compromised by a small piece of crud I would reassess my brand loyalty. Just saying.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top